Dec. 13, 2013, 4:53 PM
Dec. 3, 2013, 3:30 PM
- Higher again today, the Volatility Index has gained for six straight sessions and is now at a 7-week high. Taper fear makes for a good excuse, but Baird's Bruce Bittles says the stock market - after notching its longest string of weekly advances in nearly a decade - simply needs a break.
- MKM's Jim Strugger says a number of potential negative catalysts lie ahead - notably Fed meetings in mid-December and late January, the January 1 deadline to sign up for Obamacare, and January 15 end of the current government spending authority (don't forget Friday's employment report).
- VXX +3.6%.
- ETFs: VXX, UVXY, TVIX, XIV, VIXY, SVXY, VXZ, ZIV, VIXM, VQT, CVOL, VIIX, XVZ, VIXH, ACWV, PHDG, XVIX, XXV, TVIZ, IVOP, VIIZ
Nov. 22, 2013, 4:30 PM
Nov. 15, 2013, 4:22 PM
Nov. 6, 2013, 1:00 PM
- Absent a major market selloff, the natural resting place of the iPath S&P VIX Short-term Futures ETN (VXX -1%) is zero. As the traders who frequent the product aren't fond of trading a security so low in price, reverse splits are an occasional necessity. The latest one, a 1-for-4 reverse split, will take place after Thursday's close.
- The VXX is off 61% YTD.
Nov. 4, 2013, 3:47 PM
- "If the market was too confident about September tapering six weeks ago, it may be too confident about March tapering now," write the strategists at BAML, suggesting traders position themselves for a big payroll number on Friday - short 10-year Treasurys (TLT), long dollars (UUP), particularly vs. the yen (FXY), and long volatility (VXX).
- "The balance of risks going into Friday is unusually asymmetric," writes the team, noting a weak number will be discounted as a temporary shock from the shutdown, but a strong print will have the market pricing in a December or January taper.
- Treasury ETFs: TBT, TLT, TMV, TBF, EDV, TTT, TMF, ZROZ, TLH, SBND, DLBS, VGLT, UBT, TLO, FSA, LBND, TENZ, TYBS, DLBL.
- Dollar ETFs: UUP, UDN, UUPT, UDNT.
- Yen ETFs: FXY, YCS, JYN, YCL.
- Volatility ETFs: VXX, UVXY, TVIX, XIV, VIXY, SVXY, VXZ, ZIV, VIXM, VQT, XVZ, VIIX, CVOL, VIXH, ACWV, XVIX, PHDG, XXV, TVIZ, IVOP, VIIZ.
Oct. 18, 2013, 4:37 PM
Oct. 14, 2013, 5:46 PM
Oct. 11, 2013, 4:21 PM
Oct. 8, 2013, 4:05 PM
- Recent buyers of the volatility ETPs are looking smart, with the VXX up 19% in the last 5 days, and the VIIX and VIXY up even more, but that doesn't change the "buyer beware" aspect of these very short-term products, says IndexUniverse analyst Paul Britt. Nice work, he says. Enjoy your profits ... "but this is definitely not the kind of thing you want to leave in your portfolio for a long period of time.”
- Related ETPs: CVOL, VXX, VIIX, VXZ, VIIZ, TVIX, TVIZ, XXV, XIV, ZIV, XVIX, VQT, VIXY, VIXM, XVZ, IVOP, UVXY, SVXY.
Oct. 4, 2013, 4:38 PM
Sep. 27, 2013, 4:19 PM
Sep. 24, 2013, 12:18 PM
- "We're not trying to kill the Vix," says NationsShares President Scott Nations, whose firm is set to launch what it says is a better way to measure volatility.
- The underlying security for the Nations Large Cap VolDex is the SPY vs. the far less liquid SPX options for the Vix. VolDex, says Nations, also strips away deep out-of-the-money options whose prices are easily skewed by traders willing buy lottery tickets, no matter the cost.
- It's not the first threat to the cash cow for the CBOE, and the exchange has already criticized the new measure for being too narrowly focused. Nearly 24M Vix futures contracts were traded last year.
- 'I would be shocked if traders decided to start using VolDex in lieu of the Vix,” says Jason Goepfert. “It’s a flawed index ... but it has become institutionalized."Nations VolDex Implied Volatility Indexes.Vix ETFs: CVOL, VXX, VIIX, VXZ, VIIZ, TVIX, TVIZ, XXV, XIV, ZIV, XVIX, VQT, VIXY, VIXM, XVZ, IVOP, UVXY, SVXY.
Sep. 20, 2013, 4:25 PM
Sep. 18, 2013, 10:43 AM
- The VIX could be coiled for a major spike the next time equities stumble, says SocGen, noting short interest in VIX futures has doubled since the end of June. "The concentrated short in the VIX futures is like a red point if you look at a map of the market, signaling potential risk,” says strategist Ramon Verastegui. A short squeeze in the VIX could spill over, he says, accelerating any downward action in equities.
- The last time investors were close to being this short VIX futures was in February, just ahead of a 34% spike late in the month amid the sequester debate and Italian politics.
- VIX ETFs: CVOL, VXX, VIIX, VXZ, VIIZ, TVIX, TVIZ, XXV, XIV, ZIV, XVIX, VQT, VIXY, VIXM, XVZ, IVOP, UVXY, SVXY.
Sep. 13, 2013, 4:32 PM
VXX vs. ETF Alternatives
The S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures™ Index TR is designed to provide access to equity market volatility through CBOE Volatility Index® (the "VIX Index") futures. Specifically, the S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures™ Index TR offers exposure to a daily rolling long position in the first and second month VIX futures contracts and reflects the implied volatility of the S&P 500® Index at various points along the volatility forward curve. The index futures roll continuously throughout each month from the first month VIX futures contract into the second month VIX futures contract. A direct investment in VIX (commonly referred to as spot VIX) is not possible. The S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures™ Index TR holds VIX futures contracts, which could involve roll costs and exhibit different risk and return characteristics. Investments offering volatility exposure can have various uses within a portfolio including hedging, directional, or arbitrage strategies and are typically short or medium-term in nature.
See more details on sponsor's website
See more details on sponsor's website
Country: United States
Other News & PR