Oct. 9, 2014, 4:00 PM
- It's unlikely that the strong dollar will impact Q3 earnings as much as people think, Diane Garnick, CEO of global asset management firm Clear Alternatives says. But it will impact Q4 earnings. We're likely to see companies meet or exceed earnings in Q3, but give downward forecasts for Q4, she says.
- Companies with bigger international exposure, like Wal-Mart (NYSE:WMT) will lower their estimates more. The same is true for sectors dominated by companies with global exposure like financials (NYSEARCA:XLF).
- Conversely, companies like Walgreen (NYSE:WAG) who are almost all U.S. dollar based will be less impacted by a stronger dollar. Also relevant for ETFs like XLP and XLU.
- Link: Reuters Insider
Oct. 8, 2014, 4:50 PM
Oct. 3, 2014, 8:14 AM| Comment!
Oct. 1, 2014, 9:01 AM
- Express Scripts (NASDAQ:ESRX) will feature Walgreens (NYSE:WAG) as the preferred retail pharmacy in its two national Medicare Prescription Drug Plans. Medicare beneficiaries enrolled in the Express Scripts Value or Choice Plans will either pay $0 (Value) or $1 (Choice) copayments for Tier 1 generic medications when using one of the more than 27,000 pharmacies in the plans' preferred retail network (8,200 Walgreens pharmacies and 18,500 community pharmacies).
- Specific financial aspects of the collaboration, if any, are undisclosed.
Sep. 30, 2014, 2:51 PM
- Walgreen (WAG -0.2%) continues to feel an impact from its generic pricing miscalculation that led to the dismissal of several high-level execs.
- During the firm's earnings call, management highlighted how lower drug reimbursement rates could continue to crimp profits as the company reels in less than a more favorable contract would have brought in.
- Earnings call webcast
Sep. 30, 2014, 7:54 AM
Sep. 30, 2014, 7:38 AM
- Walgreen (NYSE:WAG) reports comparable-store sales increased 5.4% in FQ4.
- Front-end comparable stores sales rose 1.3% during the quarter, while the prescription comp was up 7.8%.
- Store traffic fell 2.2%.
- Customer basket size +3.5%.
- Gross profit rate -90 bps to 28.0%.
- The company says synergies churned up by the merger with with Alliance Boots will reach $491M this fiscal year and $650M in FY15.
- WAG +1.5% premarket
Sep. 29, 2014, 5:30 PM
Sep. 24, 2014, 1:45 AM
- Walgreen (NYSE:WAG) is considering the sale of just over 50% of its infusion services business, in a deal that could value the unit at around $1.5B.
- The division offers infusion services at home and at care centers across the U.S. Infusion therapies are used for medical conditions such as bleeding disorders and serious infections.
- BofA has been hired by Walgreen for the sale, which has already attracted interest from several private equity firms.
Sep. 23, 2014, 1:24 PM| Comment!
Sep. 22, 2014, 8:37 AM
Sep. 18, 2014, 9:30 AM| 1 Comment
Sep. 16, 2014, 10:42 AM
- Walgreens Boots Alliance files a registration statement with the SEC.
- The new entity is the anticipated holding company for the merger of Walgreen (NYSE:WAG) and Alliance Boots.
- As anticipated, Walgreens Boots Alliance is domiliced in the U.S.
- The merger is still pending regulatory review and a shareholder vote.
- SEC Form 4
Sep. 12, 2014, 2:02 PM
- Wal-Mart (WMT -0.5%) plans to rebrand all of its Express stores to Neighborhood Market in a move that signals a stronger push into grocery.
- The new strategy means that Neighborhood Market stores will range in size from 15K to 40K square feet.
- The company is still testing the smaller Walmart To Go and Walmart On Campus concepts.
- What to watch: Though there's plenty of retail chains which could be impacted by Wal-Mart's NM push, Gilford Securities reasons that dollar stores (FDO, DLTR, DG) and drugstores (RAD, CVS, WAG) top the list.
Sep. 9, 2014, 10:07 AM
- Walgreen (WAG +0.7%) is likely to be pressured by Jana Partners to increase its buyback allowance, according to sources.
- The $3B buyback program announced last month by the company was a tad light for some investors.
- Jana landed a board seat at Walgreen yesterday with founder Barry Rosenstein jumping on.
Sep. 8, 2014, 6:47 AM| Comment!
WBA vs. ETF Alternatives
Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc operates drug-stores chain in the United States. It provides consumer goods and services, pharmacy, and health and wellness services through drug-stores, as well as mail, and by telephone and online.
Other News & PR