Sep. 30, 2014, 7:54 AM
Sep. 30, 2014, 7:38 AM
- Walgreen (NYSE:WAG) reports comparable-store sales increased 5.4% in FQ4.
- Front-end comparable stores sales rose 1.3% during the quarter, while the prescription comp was up 7.8%.
- Store traffic fell 2.2%.
- Customer basket size +3.5%.
- Gross profit rate -90 bps to 28.0%.
- The company says synergies churned up by the merger with with Alliance Boots will reach $491M this fiscal year and $650M in FY15.
- WAG +1.5% premarket
Sep. 29, 2014, 5:30 PM
Sep. 24, 2014, 1:45 AM
- Walgreen (NYSE:WAG) is considering the sale of just over 50% of its infusion services business, in a deal that could value the unit at around $1.5B.
- The division offers infusion services at home and at care centers across the U.S. Infusion therapies are used for medical conditions such as bleeding disorders and serious infections.
- BofA has been hired by Walgreen for the sale, which has already attracted interest from several private equity firms.
Sep. 23, 2014, 1:24 PM| Comment!
Sep. 22, 2014, 8:37 AM
Sep. 18, 2014, 9:30 AM| 1 Comment
Sep. 16, 2014, 10:42 AM
- Walgreens Boots Alliance files a registration statement with the SEC.
- The new entity is the anticipated holding company for the merger of Walgreen (NYSE:WAG) and Alliance Boots.
- As anticipated, Walgreens Boots Alliance is domiliced in the U.S.
- The merger is still pending regulatory review and a shareholder vote.
- SEC Form 4
Sep. 12, 2014, 2:02 PM
- Wal-Mart (WMT -0.5%) plans to rebrand all of its Express stores to Neighborhood Market in a move that signals a stronger push into grocery.
- The new strategy means that Neighborhood Market stores will range in size from 15K to 40K square feet.
- The company is still testing the smaller Walmart To Go and Walmart On Campus concepts.
- What to watch: Though there's plenty of retail chains which could be impacted by Wal-Mart's NM push, Gilford Securities reasons that dollar stores (FDO, DLTR, DG) and drugstores (RAD, CVS, WAG) top the list.
Sep. 9, 2014, 10:07 AM
- Walgreen (WAG +0.7%) is likely to be pressured by Jana Partners to increase its buyback allowance, according to sources.
- The $3B buyback program announced last month by the company was a tad light for some investors.
- Jana landed a board seat at Walgreen yesterday with founder Barry Rosenstein jumping on.
Sep. 8, 2014, 6:47 AM| Comment!
Sep. 5, 2014, 10:11 AM
Sep. 4, 2014, 10:10 AM
- Walgreen (WAG +1.3%) just missed estimates with its report on August same-store sales growth, 3.7% vs. 3.8%, as lower traffic and a calendar shift clipped overall results.
- Though prescriptions filled were up 1% and the average basket size in the front of the stores was up a brisk 3.1%, traffic dropped 1.7% during the period.
- What to watch: Walgreen is expected to make a statement on its tobacco business this week in a development could give analysts plenty to chew on as they work out sales projections for 2H and 2015. CVS exited the tobacco market this week in a move that puts roughly $2B a year in tobacco sales in play.
Sep. 4, 2014, 8:11 AM
- Walgreen (NYSE:WAG) reports Aug sales rose 3.6% Y/Y to $6.39B.
- Total comparable store sales rose 3.7% during the month, calendar day shifts impacting 1.4%, generic drug introduction impacting 1.2%.
- The company ended Q4 sales +6.2% Y/Y to $19.06B and FY14 sales +5.8% Y/Y to $76.43B.
- The company opened 23 stores during Aug.
Aug. 25, 2014, 8:26 AM| 2 Comments
Aug. 22, 2014, 2:21 PM
- A database failure has impacted all 8.2K Walgreen (WAG) pharmacy locations.
- About half of the company's stores can't fill prescriptions, according to a spokesperson.
- A fix to the system is expected sometime this afternoon. Updated 4:41 p.m.: The company reportedly restored systems at all locations by 2 p.m. EDT.
- Walgreen fills prescriptions at a rate of over 2.1M a day.
WBA vs. ETF Alternatives
Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc operates drug-stores chain in the United States. It provides consumer goods and services, pharmacy, and health and wellness services through drug-stores, as well as mail, and by telephone and online.
Other News & PR