Jul. 1, 2014, 12:06 PM
- Restaurant operators in California are expected to increase prices to counterbalance an increase in the minimum wage in the state which takes effect today,
- The minimum hourly wage goes to $9 from $8 as an incremental step in a plan to take it to $10 per hour by 2016.
- Fast-food stocks: MCD, BKW, WEN, JACK, YUM, SONC, PLKI
Jun. 30, 2014, 7:07 AM
- A jump in beef prices has restaurant operators scrambling to avoid taking a hit on margins this year.
- While Chipotle has been able to pass on higher input costs to consumers, most chains are seeing consumer push back on price hikes.
- A new twist" Fast-food chains Carl's Jr. and Hardee's have introduced smaller-sized sandwiches to its menu to try to keep profits intact.
- Related stocks: CAKE, CBRL, CMG, DPZ, DRI, EAT, JACK, MCD, PNRA, RRGB, RT, SBUX, SONC, WEN, BWLD, THI, BDL, NATH, LUB, BKW, CHUY, BLMN, PZZA, TXRH, DENN, KKD, BBRG, DFRG, BOBE, RUTH, IRG, DIN.
- Previous: Beef prices could pressure restaurant margins
Jun. 19, 2014, 7:49 AM
- Wendy's (WEN) plans to add the Pretzel Bacon Cheeseburger and Pretzel Pub Chicken to its menu next month.
- Last year, the restaurant operator created a stir in the QSR business when the pretzel burger introduction added several points to comp sales growth on its wide popularity.
- There's some buzz over the pretzel burgers becoming a permanent menu item.
- Wendy's plans to let customers upgrade any burger to a pretzel bun for an extra $0.30.
Jun. 17, 2014, 11:50 AM
- Beef prices keep moving higher as a drought in Texas diminishes what's already a tight supply of cattle in the U.S.
- Though beef demand in the U.S. is peaking with the summer grilling season starting, the impact on margins for sellers from higher wholesale prices could be felt later this year when consumers push back against absorbing the extra costs.
- What to watch: Chipotle (CMG) passed on its menu price increases to consumers with relative ease, but other chains (MCD, BKW, WEN, TXRH, BLMN, RUTH) are expected to feel pressure on their bottom lines from higher beef prices.
Jun. 17, 2014, 7:52 AM
- Count IMF Managing Director Christine Lagarde as another proponent of raising the federal minimum wage in the U.S.
- Lagarde points to the 50M working Americans living below the poverty level in making her claim that "we" have to do something about it.
- Legislation on a minimum wage increase has been stalled in Congress, but is likely to be teed up as mid-term election issue.
- Related stocks: MCD, BKW, SONC, DENN, WMT, JACK, GTIM, WEN, TAST, PLKI, PZZA, YUM, NATH, CKEC, AMC, RGC.
- Bloomberg Lagarde interview
Jun. 12, 2014, 1:48 PM
- Burger chain Krystal is coming back from the dead with impressive gains in unit-level profitability.
- The turnaround by the privately-owned company has been strong enough that it plans to expand rapidly into new states.
- What to watch: A fast-growing Krystal could give established burger chains (MCD, WEN, BKW, SONC) something to think about with its ability to drive traffic in regions where it will be a novelty.
Jun. 3, 2014, 8:58 AM
- The city council in Seattle approves an increase in the minimum wage to $15 per hour.
- Mayor Ed Murray is expected to sign the measure into law today.
- The pay floor will be implemented over several years with the specific time-frame depending upon the size of a business.
- Fast-food restaurant chains (MCD, BKW, WEN, JACK, YUM, SONC, PLKI) are expected to feel the biggest pinch from higher minimum wage levels.
Jun. 2, 2014, 11:34 AM
- Improved traffic at restaurants chains in April helped boost the Restaurant Performance Index monitored by the National Restaurant Association by 0.3% to 101.7.
- The Expectations Index, which measures the six-month outlook for operators, improved 0.2% to 102.2 to mark the highest level for the index in two years.
- Restaurant stocks: CAKE, CBRL, CMG, DNKN, DPZ, DRI, EAT, JACK, MCD, PNRA, RRGB, RT, SBUX, SONC, WEN, BWLD, THI, BDL, NATH, LUB, BKW, CHUY, BLMN, PZZA, TXRH, DENN, KKD, BBRG, DFRG, BOBE, RUTH, IRG, DIN
May. 15, 2014, 6:48 PM
May. 15, 2014, 7:51 AM
- Fast-food workers are planning to walk off the job at chains across the country today in an organized move to protest low wages.
- The push for a higher minimum wage has gained traction in several states and major cities, although President Obama's proposed $10.10 per hour rate doesn't have the support in Congress yet for a federal minimum wage hike.
- Related stocks: MCD, BKW, JACK, WEN, SONC, DENN, PLKI, DPZ.
May. 8, 2014, 2:23 PM
- Wendy's (WEN -1.1%) reports company-owned same-restaurant sales registered a 1.3% gain in Q1. Franchised outlets saw a 0.6% comp gain.
- The company struck a note of caution with its restaurant margin guidance. Wendy's expects restaurant margin in a range of 16.3% to 16.8%. The mark is lower prior guidance of 16.8% to 17.0% due to impact of higher foods which will be tough to pass on in the form of pricing.
May. 8, 2014, 7:03 AM
May. 6, 2014, 1:34 PM
- Restaurant chains saw sales increase at a slightly higher rate last year than sales at independent chains and concepts, according to data from GE Capital.
- The 100 largest chains saw sales grow at a rate of 3.5% vs. the industry average of 3.1%.
- Consumers spent more money per restaurant visit in 2013, but industry-wide same-store sales fell off 0.1% with traffic numbers down.
- For the 6th year in a row, sales at quick-service restaurants rose faster than sales at full-service establishments.
- Restaurant stocks: CAKE, CBRL, CMG, DNKN, DPZ, DRI, EAT, JACK, MCD, PNRA, RRGB, RT, SBUX, SONC, WEN, BWLD, THI, BDL, NATH, LUB, BKW, CHUY, BLMN, PZZA, TXRH, DENN, KKD, BBRG, DFRG, BOBE, RUTH, IRG, DIN.
Apr. 30, 2014, 1:34 PM
- Republicans in the Senate have blocked a bill that would increase the federal minimum wage to $10.10 per hour incrementally over 30 months.
- The development sets up minimum wage reform as a major topic during November elections.
- Consumer companies have mixed opinions on the topic. Though some larger employers could feel a pinch from a higher level of minimum wages (MCD, SWY, KR, WEN) - some analysts think retailers (WMT, DG, FDO, DLTR, TGT) selling to lower income brackets could get a boost. There's also some speculation that more mom-and-pop shops will be forced out of business if the minimum wage goes to over $10 per hour.
Apr. 28, 2014, 2:51 PM
- The restaurant industry is watching with interest a late push by waiters and bartenders in Seattle to drum up support against a proposed $15-per-hour minimum wage law in the state.
- The group fears a minimum wage law hike will significantly lower the level of tips servers receive from customers.
- The big picture: The potential for minimum wage increases - either on a federal level or state by state - has been a hot topic in dissecting restaurant stocks. Some analysts see a significant bottom line pinch as companies have a difficult time passing on the extra costs to consumers in the form of higher prices.
- Related stocks: CAKE, CBRL, CMG, DNKN, DPZ, DRI, EAT, JACK, MCD, PNRA, RRGB, RT, SBUX, SONC, WEN, BWLD, THI, BDL, NATH, LUB, BKW, CHUY, BLMN, PZZA, TXRH, DENN, KKD, BBRG, DFRG, BOBE, RUTH, IRG, DIN.
Apr. 2, 2014, 1:17 PM
- The National Retail Federation wants Congress to pass the bipartisan Save American Workers Act to amend the Affordable Care Act’s definition of full-time employment from 30 hours per week to 40 hours a week.
- The measure could have important consequences for the restaurant industry.
- Restaurant stocks: CAKE, CBRL, CMG, DNKN, DPZ, DRI, EAT, JACK, MCD, PNRA, SONC, WEN, THI, BKW, CHUY, BLMN, PZZA, DENN, KKD, BBRG, DFRG, BOBE, RUTH, IRG, DIN
WEN vs. ETF Alternatives
Other News & PR