Wed, Feb. 18, 10:46 AM
- Restaurants stocks are out-performing as a group after Jack in the Box, Qdboa, Tim Hortons, and Burger King all reported comparable-restaurant sales momentum this week.
- The recent round of earnings from the sector has confirmed analyst predictions of a benefit from lower gas prices in the U.S.
- The developments have also made the recent performance by McDonald's ((NYSE:MCD) -0.2%) look even more anemic.
- Previously: Let's talks $2 gas (Nov. 29 2014)
- Previously: Restaurant sales show sharp increase in January (Feb. 11 2015)
- Leading gainers: Jack in the Box (NASDAQ:JACK) +6.0%, BJ's Restaurants (NASDAQ:BJRI) +3.6%, Sonic (NASDAQ:SONC) +2.6%, Texas Roadhouse (NASDAQ:TXRH) +2.2%, Brinker International (NYSE:EAT) +2.1%, Luby's (NYSE:LUB) +2.0%, Wendy's (NASDAQ:WEN) +1.5%, Cheesecake Factory (NASDAQ:CAKE) +1.4%, Nathan's Famous (NASDAQ:NATH) +1.3%, Ark Restaurants (NASDAQ:ARKR) +1.3%.
Tue, Feb. 3, 7:49 AM
- Wendy's (NASDAQ:WEN) plans to sell another 500 restaurants to its franchisees.
- The announcement is part of a company goal to own just 5% of its stores by the middle of 2016 in order to reduce costs and smooth out cash flow.
- Wendy's turned a +1.9% comp in Q4 vs. -1.7% for McDonald's (closely overlapping).
- Previously: Wendy's -1.5% after issuing preliminary results
- WEN -1.5% premarket.
Tue, Feb. 3, 6:53 AM
- Wendy's (NASDAQ:WEN) reports preliminary results for Q4.
- Revenue -15% to $502M vs. $509M consensus.
- EBITDA +20.3% to $107.1M.
- EPS in-line at $0.10.
- The company reports same-restaurant sales increased 1.9% during the quarter.
- North American restaurant margin +50 bps to 16.8%.
- 2015 guidance: EBITDA of $390M-$400M expected. EPS of $0.33-$0.35 vs. $0.39 consensus.
- WEN -1.5% premarket.
Thu, Jan. 8, 11:26 AM
- Citi takes a bullish view on select names in the restaurant sector.
- Wendy's (WEN +1%) is initiated at Buy with a $11 price target. Analyst Gregory Badishkanian sees some of the company's initiatives helping to draw in millennials.
- Coverage on Chipotle (CMG +3.5%) is assumed again at a Buy with a $809 PT. Shares of CMG are at an all-time high after taking out $700 earlier this week.
- The investment firm is also backing Restaurant Brands (QSR +2.7%) and Brinker International (EAT +1.1%) for gains with resumed Buy ratings.
Nov. 6, 2014, 7:11 AM
- Wendy's (NASDAQ:WEN) reports company-owned same-restaurant sales rose 2.0% in Q3, while franchise outlets delivered a lower 0.5% comp.
- North America company-owned restaurant margin -10 bps to 15.5% with higher beef costs a drag.
- Guidance: 2014 EBITDA of $390M expected. EPS of $0.34-$0.36 reaffirmed. For 2015, EBITDA growth in the mid-to-high single-digit rate is forecast off of a positive comp.
- WEN +0.9% premarket
Aug. 25, 2014, 8:34 AM
- Shares of Wendy's (NASDAQ:WEN) are on the move in premarket trading after Burger King discloses talks with Tim Hortons.
- The company spun off Tim Hortons in 2006 and in Canada still has a number of combined unit locations.
- WEN +1.8% premarket
Aug. 7, 2014, 7:11 AM
Feb. 27, 2014, 7:51 AM
- Earnings are somewhat ahead of preliminary results released last month thanks to an arcane accounting adjustment.
- Company reaffirms its 2014 outlook for adjusted EBITDA of $390M-$400M, "despite the adverse impact from winter storms during the first quarter" [they have to be kidding] Adjusted EPS is still expected at $0.34-$0.36. Average same-restaurant-sales growth of 2.5-3.5% at Company-operated stores (was 1.9% in 2013). Company-operated restaurant margin improvement of 140-160 basis points.
- Management expects to continue to sell certain Company-owned restaurants to franchisees. Another 415 restaurants are on schedule to be sold by the end of Q1 for total proceeds to about $235M. Agreements are inked on another 174 restaurants.
- 8.7M shares repurchased during 2013 at average price of $7.93 each. Pursuant to the Dutch Tender offer, 29.7M shares purchased in February at average price of $9.25 each.
- Due to the January preliminary release, there will be no CC today.
- Press release, Q4 results
- WEN -3% premarket.
Jan. 13, 2014, 8:04 AM| Comment!
Jan. 13, 2014, 7:25 AM
- Wendy's (WEN) reports same-restaurant sales rose 3.1% in Q4.
- Promotions on the Pretzel Pub Chicken sandwich and Bacon Portabella Melt on Brioche helped to drive traffic during the period.
- The company expects 2014 EPS of $0.34-$0.36 on same-restaurant sales growth of 2.5% to 3.5%.
- Q4 EPS is guided to $0.10-$0.11 vs. $0.06 consensus.
- WEN +5.7% premarket.
Nov. 7, 2013, 8:06 AM
- Shares of Wendy's (WEN) slump in early trading after the company's Q3 report and guidance isn't quite dazzling enough to please investors.
- Though the same-store sales growth looked good compared to burger peers, some rosier forecasts saw the quarter being a blowout driven by the Pretzel Bacon Cheeseburger. A drop in the firm's outlook for Q4 EBITDA on higher incremental investments is also a factor.
- WEN -7.8% premarket
Aug. 7, 2013, 10:30 AM| 4 Comments
Jul. 23, 2013, 9:15 AM
Jul. 23, 2013, 7:53 AMMore on Wendy's (WEN) Q2 earnings: Same-store-sales +0.4% in Q2 (MCD was +1%). Expects faster growth in H2. Plans to sell about 425 company-owned restaurants, bringing total system ownership to 15% from 22% - targeting end of Q2 2014 for completion of sales. A sale of 24 restaurants in K.C. was closed yesterday. This "system optimization" is expected to cut G&A expense about $30M and improve margins at company-owned stores at least 50 bps. Adjusted EPS growth in the mid-teens beginning in 2014 now expected vs. previous guidance of low double-digit growth. Quarterly dividend boosted 25% to $0.05/share. Shares +7.8% premarket. CC at 11 ET. (PR) | 1 Comment
Jul. 12, 2013, 10:06 AM
Jun. 10, 2013, 2:40 PMHamburger stocks are making an unlikely run higher after McDonald's shows some solid improvement with sales for May. Investors seem to be betting that the sector as a whole is in slightly better shape based on McDonald's performance and not that Mickey D's took market share from Wendy's (WEN +1.8%), Jack In The Box (JACK +0.9%), Sonic (SONC +1.7%), and Burger King Worldwide (BKW +1.8%) during the month. | Comment!
WEN vs. ETF Alternatives
Other News & PR