Dec. 19, 2014, 1:03 PM
- Whole Foods Market (WFM -0.2%) sits in an ideal position to acquire smaller health and wellness chains, according to Sterne Agee.
- The company's FQ4 balance sheet showed it was light on long-term debt.
- Analyst Charles Grom identifies Fairway Markets (FWM +0.7%) and privately-held Earth Fare as potential targets for Whole Foods.
Dec. 15, 2014, 2:08 PM
- It's a volatile day for Whole Foods Market (WFM +0.7%) amid some takeover chatter (Publix today).
- In earlier trading, shares of WFM threatened to hit the $50 mark for the first time since May.
- Back to fundamentals: Despite the focus on the comps reported by Whole Foods, some analysis points to the steady rate of EPS growth the grocery store operator keeps delivering.
Dec. 10, 2014, 10:22 AM
- The S&P 500 Retail ETF (NYSEARCA:XRT) is up 0.3% today despite the negative action in the broader market.
- A forecast for sustained lower oil prices is the major reason for the upswing.
- Top 20 XRT holdings showing gains: Limited Brands (LB +0.6%), Whole Foods Markets (WFM +0.4%), Casey's General Stores (CASY +0.3%), Ross Stores (ROST +0.7%), Kroger (KR +0.9%), Advance Auto Parts (AAP +0.4%), Target (TGT +0.4%), Zumiez (ZUMZ +0.3%), CST Brands (CST +1.3%).
Dec. 6, 2014, 10:24 AM
- Grocery delivery upstart Instacart is raising $100M from new and old investors at a pricing which gives the company a $2B valuation and plenty of cash to fund expansion.
- Sequoia Capital and Andreessen Horowitz have added to their original investments, reports Re/code.
- Instacart, which was started by a former Amazon supply chain engineer, delivers groceries from participating stores to consumers in larger markets within an hour.
- Major retail chains such as Whole Foods Markets (NASDAQ:WFM), Kroger (NYSE:KR), and Costco (NASDAQ:COST) are participating in Instacart's expansion - perhaps playing a little defense against Amazon Fresh (NASDAQ:AMZN) which also has growth plans.
- What to watch: Instacart's simple business model of a personal shopper army and vibrant website contrasts sharply with the distribution/branding might of Amazon Fresh (AMZN), but could end up in the same razor-thin margin predicament ($5.99 for one-hour delivery?). Meanwhile, old-school Kroger (KR) has recorded 44 straight quarters of positive comps and just raised its full-year profit guidance off of solid store execution.
- Related grocery stocks: SVU, SWY, RNDY, SFM, OTCQB:PUSH, TFM, WMT.
Nov. 6, 2014, 10:40 AM
- Organic food sellers rally after a reassuring Q3 report from Whole Foods Market (WFM +10.3%) tips sentiment favorably on the sector.
- There's a thought among retail analysts that lower oil prices are helping to boost traffic.
- Gainers: The Fresh Market (NASDAQ:TFM) +4.8%, Fairway Group (NASDAQ:FWM) +4.8%, Sprouts Farmers Market (NASDAQ:SFM) +1.9%, WhiteWave Foods (NYSE:WWAV) +0.6%.
- Previously: Enthusiasm builds over Whole Foods Markets
Nov. 6, 2014, 9:23 AM
- Whole Foods Market (NASDAQ:WFM) is poised for a rally after Q3 results impressed.
- There's a wave of analysts raising targets and estimates based on the company's outlook, although JPMorgan gets the nod for being ahead of the Street with its call.
- The big takeaway from the WFM earnings report and early look at Q4 is that the strategy by Whole Foods to lower prices amid organic food competition is seeing some benefits with traffic and branding.
- WFM +8.9% premarket
Nov. 6, 2014, 9:14 AM
- Gainers: PLNR +74%. PESI +24%. SWIR +20%. MEET +13%. RVLT +11%. COT +11%. DATA +11%. ACAS +10%. NDLS +9%. KATE +8%. KATE +8%. WFM +9%. HZNP +6%. CECO +6%. DRYS +5%. TRUE +5%.
- Losers: AEZS -51%. SZYM -47%. SNMX -26%. GNW -24%. WWWW -22%. CSOD -19%. PHMD -17%. GERN -14%. MCP -12%. GNRC -11%. WAC -9%. QCOM -7%. Z -7%. PBR -5%.
Nov. 5, 2014, 4:15 PM
- Whole Foods Market (NASDAQ:WFM) reports comparable-store sales rose 3.1% in FQ4 vs. its guidance for a 2.5-3.5% rise.
- The comp mark was 3.9% last quarter and 5.9% a year ago.
- Transactions were 1.3% higher during the period, while the average basket was up 1.8%.
- The EBITDA margin came in at 9.1%.
- Gross margin rate -20 bps to 35.4%.
- Guidance: The company sets a FY15 target of +9% sales growth and EBITDA margin of around 9%. FQ1 comps are trending +4.6% through November 2.
- WFM +6.0% AH.
Nov. 5, 2014, 4:04 PM| 5 Comments
Oct. 20, 2014, 8:36 AM
Oct. 6, 2014, 9:53 AM
- Whole Foods Market (WFM +1.3%) is in the process of trying out price cuts on produce items and sampling more weekly deals, according to Fierce Retail.
- The test run of promotions will run for a few months in select markets before the company decides if it will push it out nationally.
- Whole Foods is looking to offset lower prices with operational efficiencies and a trimming of expenses.
Oct. 6, 2014, 7:57 AM| 25 Comments
Sep. 30, 2014, 12:42 PM
- Shares of Whole Foods Market (WFM +1.8%) are higher on heavy volume on some recycled rumors of a takeover bid by a bigger player.
- Analysts covering the sector are a bit wary, thinking WFM is a tough bolt-on for some of the names mentioned as potential acquirers.
Sep. 11, 2014, 9:29 AM
- Retail analysts are duly impressed by the 4.8% comp delivered by Kroger (NYSE:KR) in Q2.
- Though there's been plenty of talk about Wal-Mart (NYSE:WMT), Target (NYSE:TGT), and even Whole Foods Market (NASDAQ:WFM) grabbing mass market grocery share - Kroger has put up a steady string of turf-defending quarters.
- KR +2.0% premarket.
Sep. 8, 2014, 6:58 AM
- Whole Foods Markets (NASDAQ:WFM) announces it will offer one-hour grocery delivery service in 15 U.S. cities in partnership with Instacart.
- The grocery store operator also plans to offer customers in select markets the ability to place orders via Instacart and pick up their order in the store later.
Aug. 5, 2014, 11:33 AM
- Whole Foods Market (WFM +3%) is having a volatile day after rumors of interest by Carl Icahn in the company crop up.
- Shares of WFM were as high as +5%, and volume on WFM for the day is already 150% of normal trading activity, despite the speculative nature of the original report.
WFM vs. ETF Alternatives
Other News & PR