Nov. 5, 2014, 4:04 PM
Oct. 20, 2014, 8:36 AM
Oct. 6, 2014, 9:53 AM
- Whole Foods Market (WFM +1.3%) is in the process of trying out price cuts on produce items and sampling more weekly deals, according to Fierce Retail.
- The test run of promotions will run for a few months in select markets before the company decides if it will push it out nationally.
- Whole Foods is looking to offset lower prices with operational efficiencies and a trimming of expenses.
Oct. 6, 2014, 7:57 AM| 25 Comments
Sep. 30, 2014, 12:42 PM
Sep. 11, 2014, 9:29 AM
- Retail analysts are duly impressed by the 4.8% comp delivered by Kroger (NYSE:KR) in Q2.
- Though there's been plenty of talk about Wal-Mart (NYSE:WMT), Target (NYSE:TGT), and even Whole Foods Market (NASDAQ:WFM) grabbing mass market grocery share - Kroger has put up a steady string of turf-defending quarters.
- KR +2.0% premarket.
Sep. 8, 2014, 6:58 AM
- Whole Foods Markets (NASDAQ:WFM) announces it will offer one-hour grocery delivery service in 15 U.S. cities in partnership with Instacart.
- The grocery store operator also plans to offer customers in select markets the ability to place orders via Instacart and pick up their order in the store later.
Aug. 5, 2014, 11:33 AM
Jul. 31, 2014, 9:11 AM
Jul. 31, 2014, 7:38 AM
Jul. 30, 2014, 4:16 PM
- Whole Food Market (NASDAQ:WFM) reports comparable-store sales rose 3.9% in FQ3 vs. 4.7% consensus. The mark extends a streak of decelerating comp growth (4.5% in FQ2, 5.4% in FQ1, 5.9% in FQ4) and looks even worse in light of the shift of Easter into the quarter.
- Transactions were up 2% in FQ3, while the average basket was 1.9% higher.
- Average weekly sales per store were $736K.
- The company announces a new $1B buyback program.
- FY14 guidance: Comp sales 9.6%-9.9%; store count +38; EBITDA margin 9.1%-9.2%; EPS $1.52-$1.54
- WFM -4.8% AH
Jul. 30, 2014, 4:07 PM
Jul. 10, 2014, 1:06 PM
- Cantor Fitzgerald thinks Whole Foods Market (WFM -1.6%) needs to peel off some more share price before investors should jump in.
- The combination of slower growth trends and higher input costs creates some operational challenges which haven't been fully factored in yet, according to analyst Ajay Jain.
- Whole Foods Market is down 34.8% YTD and is 42.4% off its 52-week high.
Jul. 8, 2014, 11:21 AM
- A harsh downgrade from Goldman Sachs on The Fresh Market has soured the mood in the specialty grocery store sector.
- Heightened pricing competition and increasing input costs could make it hard for the companies to meet earnings estimates this quarter, warn analysts.
- On the move: Whole Foods Market (WFM) -1.5%, Fairway Group (FWM) -4.2%, Sprouts Farmers Market (SFM) -1.7%.
Jun. 25, 2014, 5:46 PM
- Deutsche Bank sees tough times for Supervalu (SVU) and Safeway (SWY) if and when Amazon (AMZN) expands its AmazonFresh grocery delivery service beyond its three current test markets.
- Kroger (KR) should fare better due to its strong price positioning and weighted average market share positions, and natural/organic specialty players are better positioned to absorb AMZN’s expansion, with Whole Food (WFM) least at-risk due to its product mix, differentiated format, strong EBIT margins and very strong balance sheet.
- Morgan Stanley, however, doesn't see online as a major threat to brick and mortar food retailers after its own survey showed consumers’ interest in online ordering - either to be picked-up at store, or delivered to home - is very low.
Jun. 25, 2014, 10:55 AM
- Looking over the battered natural/organic growth group, Morgan Stanley buys the dip in Whole Foods (WFM +0.5%) and Sprouts (SFM +3%), initiating both at Overweight, but The Fresh Market (TFM -1.7%) is started at Underweight.
- Plain-jane and red-hot The Kroger (KR +0.2%), meanwhile, also rates an Overweight rating.
WFM vs. ETF Alternatives
Other News & PR