Wed, Apr. 15, 11:34 AM
- Organic food sales rose 11% to $35.9B in 2014, according to the Organic Trade Association.
- The revenue tally for organic food accounted for 5% of all food sales in the U.S.
- Data from the trade group indicated 90% of households on the West Coast and in New England actively buy organic food.
- The strong growth rate for organic food is part of the rationale behind Target's major food initiative.
- Organic food sellers/producers: THS, SFM, FWM, TFM, WFM, HAIN, WWAV, OTCPK:GPDB, LWAY, UNFI, GIS through Annie's.
Wed, Mar. 25, 9:27 AM
- Hain Celestial (NASDAQ:HAIN), Pinnacle Foods (NYSE:PF), and WhiteWave Foods (NYSE:WWAV) are all setting up for gains today after the Heinz-Kraft merger raises the M&A profile in the sector.
- Previously: Kraft, Heinz announce merger
- Previously: Food sector on watch after mega-merger announced
- Premarket trading: HAIN +1.9%, WWAV +1.9%, PF +1.0%.
Mon, Mar. 9, 7:00 AM
- WhiteWave Foods (NYSE:WWAV) is in talks to buy U.K. firm Quorn, according to Sky News.
- Quorn, which is owned by P-E firm Exponent Private Equity, distributes food to more than 2K Wal-Mart stores.
- Hain Celestial (NASDAQ:HAIN) are Hershey (NYSE:HSY) have been mentioned as other potential bidders for Quorn.
Wed, Mar. 4, 7:43 AM
- Wedbush initiates coverage on WhiteWave Foods (NYSE:WWAV) and Hain Celestial (NASDAQ:HAIN) with Outperform ratings.
- An important development occurred this week in the sector with Target announcing it will focus on organic brands in its grocery section at the expense of well-known packaged food products.
- There was also some talk of Wal-Mart decelerating the roll-out of its small-store format.
- Some analysts have been willing to stretch out valuation on organic food stocks due to the M&A potential.
- Previously: Grocery plans from Target to veer away from typical packaged food fare (Mar. 03 2015)
- Other organic food stock plays: THS, SFM, FWM, TFM, WFM.
Thu, Feb. 12, 10:14 AM
- WhiteWave Foods (NYSE:WWAV) reports organic sales rose 11% in Q4, excluding results of Earthbound and So Delicious.
- Segment sales: Americas Foods & Beverages: $648.04M (+14%); Americas Fresh Foods: $135.67M; Europe Foods & Beverages: $127.28M (+15%).
- Adjusted gross margin rate fell 173 bps to 33.34%.
- Adjusted operating margin rate improved 56 bps to 9.56%.
- FQ1 Guidance: Net sales growth: high single digits %; Adjusted operating income growth: mid single digits %; Interest expense: $9M to $10M; Adjusted diluted EPS: $0.17 to $0.19; Adjusted Diluted EPS Excluding China J.V.: $0.20 to $0.22; Interest Neutral Adj. Diluted EPS Excluding China J.V.: $0.22 to $0.24.
- FY2015 Guidance: Net sales growth: high single to low double digits %; Adjusted operating income growth: mid teens to high teens %; Interest expense: ~$55M to $58M; Adjusted diluted EPS: $1.01 to $1.05; Adjusted Diluted EPS Excluding China J.V.: $1.08 to $1.12; Interest Neutral Adj. Diluted EPS Excluding China J.V.: $1.14 to $1.18; Capital expenditure: ~$325M to $350M.
Thu, Feb. 12, 7:37 AM
Sat, Jan. 17, 12:45 PM
- Milk prices are in a downward trend with an excess of supply on the international market.
- The supply is so far beyond expectations that some U.S. cooperatives have directed farms to pour out part of their inventory.
- A reduced level of milk imports from China and Russia has been a factor in the market.
- Food companies are seeing a quicker benefit from the milk price decline than consumers, although analysts anticipate lower prices at grocery and C-stores stores in 2015.
- Milk price data (consumers) vs. milk futures chart
- Related stocks: DF, WWAV, SJM, DF, OTCPK:NSRGY, LWAY, DNKN, MCD, SBUX, GIS, HSY, MJN, QSR, KO, GIS,
- Related ETFs: MOO.
Dec. 22, 2014, 10:39 AM
- Wells Fargo turns the spotlight back on the potential unlocked by a combination of Coca-Cola (KO +1.1%) and WhiteWave Foods (WWAV +1.2%).
- The investment firm thinks a deal, full or partial acquisition, is more likely with Coca-Cola in a "partnership" frame of mind.
- WhiteWave brings new categories to the table, while Coca-Cola's enormous distribution network could take WWAV to the next level.
Nov. 10, 2014, 7:08 AM| 4 Comments
Nov. 10, 2014, 7:05 AM
Nov. 9, 2014, 5:30 PM
Nov. 6, 2014, 10:40 AM
- Organic food sellers rally after a reassuring Q3 report from Whole Foods Market (WFM +10.3%) tips sentiment favorably on the sector.
- There's a thought among retail analysts that lower oil prices are helping to boost traffic.
- Gainers: The Fresh Market (NASDAQ:TFM) +4.8%, Fairway Group (NASDAQ:FWM) +4.8%, Sprouts Farmers Market (NASDAQ:SFM) +1.9%, WhiteWave Foods (NYSE:WWAV) +0.6%.
- Previously: Enthusiasm builds over Whole Foods Markets
Oct. 22, 2014, 11:06 PM
- WhiteWave Foods (NYSE:WWAV) could be a takeover target for a food company desperate for growth, according to sector analysts.
- Despite the company's lofty valuation at 25X Ebitda, recent deals in the organic sector have gone off at even healthier premiums.
- The $9.1B deal price for Annie's paid by General Mills implies that WhiteWave could be snapped at a level 48% than its current level.
- Revenue at WhiteWave has grown at a +20% clip over the last year.
Sep. 18, 2014, 7:55 AM| Comment!
Sep. 9, 2014, 10:25 AM
- Shares of WhiteWave Foods (WWAV +3.4%) and Amira Nature Foods (ANFI +0.8%) trade higher after the General Mills-Annie's deal price raises the profile in the organic/premium food sector.
- Previous: Annie's deal boosts Boulder Brands and Hain Celestial.
Sep. 8, 2014, 5:35 PM
WWAV vs. ETF Alternatives
The Whitewave Foods Company operates as a consumer packaged food and beverage company. The Company manufactures, markets, distributes, and sells branded plant-based foods and beverages, coffee creamers and beverages, and premium dairy products.
Other News & PR