May. 1, 2014, 9:11 AM
Apr. 22, 2014, 5:29 PM
- YUM's worldwide system sales rose 4% Y/Y in Q1 vs. 5% in Q4. Restaurant margin rose 330 bps Y/Y to 19.2%.
- The China division continued to rebound from last year's avian flu-related woes: Same-store sales rose 9% Y/Y (11% at KFC), and system sales 20%. The division's restaurant margin rose 680 bps to 23.4%.
- KFC division system sales +4%, same-store +1%. Pizza Hut system sales flat same-store -2%, Taco Bell system sales flat, same-store -1%, India division +21%, with 25% unit growth offsetting a 1% same-store decline.
- $170M has been spent on buybacks YTD. Food and paper costs equaled 26.6% of revenue vs. 26.8% a year ago.
- Yum plans to open at least 700 new Chinese restaurants this year, and 1,250 in other international markets. The company still expects at least 20% 2014 EPS growth.
- Q1 results, PR
Apr. 22, 2014, 5:15 PM
Apr. 22, 2014, 12:10 AM
Apr. 21, 2014, 5:35 PM
Apr. 21, 2014, 7:46 AM| Comment!
Apr. 16, 2014, 8:18 AM
- A strong month for retail sales in China could bode well for U.S. companies relying on a vibrant consumer in the region. March's pace of 12.2% growth beat estimates.
- During Q1, China's retail sales increased 12% Y/Y to 6.21T yuan ($1.01T).
- A cross-section of some firms looking at China for growth includes Yum Brands (YUM), Whirlpool (WHR), Avon Products (AVP), Ford (F), Ralph Lauren (RL), and Procter & Gamble (PG).
Apr. 8, 2014, 8:00 AM
- Execs with Taco Bell (YUM) say the company is on to phase two with a marketing campaign designed to promote its new breakfast menu.
- The next round of TV commercial will position the food chain as the "next generation" for breakfast after the first spots took dead aim at McDonald's.
- The company says response for its A.M. Crunchwrap, Waffle Taco, and Cinnabon Delights items has been strong. New breakfast products still to debut at Taco Bell include yoguer parfait, oatmeal, and premium coffee drinks.
- Fast-food breakfast war timeline
Apr. 7, 2014, 9:22 AM
- A Yum Brands (YUM) store in Arlington, Texas appears to be test run at creating a concept that could challenge Chick-fil-A.
- The store has no KFC branding and features a limited menu built around a "hand-breaded" chicken sandwich.
- Restaurant industry insiders note that a highly concentrated menu such as seen with Chick-fil-A or In-N-Out Burger can create a powerful brand reputation with consumers if done right.
Apr. 4, 2014, 9:08 AM
- Burger King (BKW) isn't sitting out the all-out war for fast-food breakfast traffic, observes Hedgeye's Howard Penney.
- As Taco Bell (YUM) aggressively markets its new breakfast menu and McDonald's (MCD) promotes a free coffee week, Burger King has numerous breakfast items on sale at the $1 price point.
- Restaurant analysts see the three chains fighting for the same early on-the-go crowd, while Starbucks (SBUX) maintains its market share.
Mar. 31, 2014, 9:32 AM
- The breakfast war between McDonald's (MCD) and Taco Bell (YUM) has gone viral with both sides taking their online marketing spin to higher levels.
- The entry by the Yum Brands chain into the $50B fast-food breakfast market hasn't gone unnoticed by McDonald's which is vigorously defending its turf.
- This week and next, McDonald's is offering a free small coffee to all customers at participating restaurants.
Mar. 28, 2014, 10:30 AM
- McDonald's (MCD +0.4%) announces it will run a free coffee promotion from March 31 to April 13 across the U.S.
- Customers can receive their free small coffee during breakfast hours at participating restaurants.
- What to watch: The initiative appears to be a direct shot at stealing the thunder away from Taco Bell's large breakfast push. Taco Bell has coffee, but is still working on upgrading stores to sell premium coffee products.
- Earlier this week, an exec with Taco Bell (YUM) said the company will push marketing lever it has to win breakfast share. It appears the next lever for the chain is free coffee.
Mar. 27, 2014, 1:53 PM
- Taco Bell (YUM) rolled out a breakfast menu to 5.5K restaurants today.
- A new national marketing campaign from the company takes dead aim at McDonald's, while prices on breakfast items were also strategically set with a goal to take a bite out of the Golden Arches' market share.
- It marks the biggest bet the fast-food chain has ever made in the competitive daypart.
- "Every marketing lever we have, we’re going to pull for breakfast," says Chief Marketing Officer Chris Brandt.
Mar. 27, 2014, 7:28 AM
- Yum Brands (YUM) has launched a new menu for its KFC chain in China in an attempt to restore confidence with consumers after a flap over its chicken sourcing.
- The new additions include three rice dishes.
- Yum is also trying to freshen up the KFC brand with new store designs and packaging.
- In Q4, same-store sales fell 4% for the company in China.
Mar. 27, 2014, 3:57 AM
- Yum Brands (YUM) unit KFC intends to overhaul its menu in China, launch a marketing campaign involving celebrities and digital initiatives, and revamp its restaurant design as part of an attempt to escape the effects of a food scandal that has hit sales for well over a year.
- Yum, which generates a large part of its revenues in China, intends to open 700 stores in the country in 2014. (PR)
Mar. 20, 2014, 6:55 AM
YUM vs. ETF Alternatives
Other News & PR