Mar. 12, 2014, 2:53 PM
Mar. 12, 2014, 7:08 AM
- Breakfast traffic at restaurants increased 3% last year to easily outpace lunch and dinner visits which both showed declines, according to NPD data.
- Quick service restaurants accounted for close to 80% of all the breakfast visits by consumers.
- McDonald's (MCD) and Starbucks (SBUX) strengthened their breakfast market share position during the year, but a host of companies including Taco Bell (YUM) and Chipotle (CMG) are testing new formats and breakfast items.
Mar. 6, 2014, 9:12 AM| Comment!
Feb. 24, 2014, 2:35 PM
- Taco Bell (YUM) plans to sell breakfast items such as waffle tacos, egg burritos, and a bacon wrap in a national roll-out that begins on March 27.
- The initiative is a direct challenge to McDonald's (MCD +0.3%) which is exploring ways to expand its breakfast hours in order to meet later demand for morning fare.
- In test runs in selects markets, Taco Bell had some success with breakfast offerings priced higher than McDonald's. But the adventures of Wendy's a couple of years ago in the breakfast category is a cautionary tale in assuming McDonald's and its +30% morning market share can be easily defeated.
Feb. 4, 2014, 9:11 AM
Feb. 3, 2014, 4:58 PM
- Same-store sales declined 4% in China, and 2% in the U.S. They grew 2% at YRI.
- In China, KFC same-store sales fell 4% during the Q and 15% for 2013. Pizza Hut same-store sales grew 5% in the Q and 4% for the year.
- Worldwide restaurant margin fell 20 basis points to 14.2%, including a 30 bp decline in the U.S. and 140 bp decline at YRI. Margins 40 bps higher in China.
- CEO David Novak: "We are confident we have the people and resources to deliver at least 20% EPS growth in 2014 and re-establish our track record of double-digit EPS growth."
- 10.9M shares repurchased during 2013 at an average price of $69 each.
- CC tomorrow at 9:15 ET
- Press release, Q4 results
- YUM +3.6% AH
Feb. 3, 2014, 4:43 PM| Comment!
Feb. 3, 2014, 12:10 AM
Feb. 2, 2014, 5:35 PM
Jan. 28, 2014, 12:57 PM
- An executive from the National Retail Federation testified before Congress today in an effort to convince the lawmakers that the Affordable Care Act should be modified.
- The group believes a full-time employee should be based on a work week of 40 hours and would like to see the heath care insurance coverage requirement be lifted to 100 employees from 50.
- Restaurant chains (MCD, BKW, DNKN, PZZA, YUM, WEN, KKD, BAGL, DRI, PLKI) operating under a franchise model have been impacted negatively by the Affordable Care Act.
Jan. 13, 2014, 4:21 PM| Comment!
Jan. 13, 2014, 10:48 AM| 2 Comments
Jan. 8, 2014, 2:26 PM
- Pizza Hut (YUM) is front and center at the 2014 International Consumer Electronics Show as it celebrates its 20th year of giving consumers the ability to order pizza online.
- Though lacking any whiz-bang tech product, the company's booth is reported to be a crowd-pleaser.
- The restaurant chain has shifted its focus to the online/mobile theme as it uses a smaller store format to trim some costs. By last count, 40% of all Pizza Hut orders were placed online with half of those coming from mobile devices.
Jan. 7, 2014, 8:24 AM| 1 Comment
Dec. 31, 2013, 9:49 AM
- Yum Brands (YUM +1%) trades higher after Citi forecasts that the restaurant operator will record a positive comp with KFC same-store sales for December.
- Though the news is positive, there are also reports of an increase in the promotional activity from the China KFC business.
- With Yum Brands' profit in China down 11% Y/Y in Q3, the impact on margins in Q4 of the pickup in sales will be closely watched. The consensus EPS estimate of analysts is currently $0.81 after sitting at $0.87 about three months ago.
Dec. 30, 2013, 3:10 PM
- Word hits that Citi believes KFC (YUM +0.9%) same store sales in China have been improving by 7 to 12 points during Dec. from the relatively flat trend in Nov.
- If accurate, the view would run counter to previous worries that the restaurateur may struggle to match the numbers it delivered in Dec. last year.
YUM vs. ETF Alternatives
Yum Brands Inc Yum Brands Inc through the three concepts of KFC, Pizza Hut and Taco Bell, develops, operates, franchises and licenses a system of restaurants which prepare, package and sell a menu of competitively priced food items.
Other News & PR