Mar. 12, 2014, 2:53 PM
Mar. 12, 2014, 7:08 AM
- Breakfast traffic at restaurants increased 3% last year to easily outpace lunch and dinner visits which both showed declines, according to NPD data.
- Quick service restaurants accounted for close to 80% of all the breakfast visits by consumers.
- McDonald's (MCD) and Starbucks (SBUX) strengthened their breakfast market share position during the year, but a host of companies including Taco Bell (YUM) and Chipotle (CMG) are testing new formats and breakfast items.
Mar. 6, 2014, 9:12 AM| Comment!
Feb. 24, 2014, 2:35 PM
- Taco Bell (YUM) plans to sell breakfast items such as waffle tacos, egg burritos, and a bacon wrap in a national roll-out that begins on March 27.
- The initiative is a direct challenge to McDonald's (MCD +0.3%) which is exploring ways to expand its breakfast hours in order to meet later demand for morning fare.
- In test runs in selects markets, Taco Bell had some success with breakfast offerings priced higher than McDonald's. But the adventures of Wendy's a couple of years ago in the breakfast category is a cautionary tale in assuming McDonald's and its +30% morning market share can be easily defeated.
Feb. 4, 2014, 9:11 AM
Feb. 3, 2014, 4:58 PM
- Same-store sales declined 4% in China, and 2% in the U.S. They grew 2% at YRI.
- In China, KFC same-store sales fell 4% during the Q and 15% for 2013. Pizza Hut same-store sales grew 5% in the Q and 4% for the year.
- Worldwide restaurant margin fell 20 basis points to 14.2%, including a 30 bp decline in the U.S. and 140 bp decline at YRI. Margins 40 bps higher in China.
- CEO David Novak: "We are confident we have the people and resources to deliver at least 20% EPS growth in 2014 and re-establish our track record of double-digit EPS growth."
- 10.9M shares repurchased during 2013 at an average price of $69 each.
- CC tomorrow at 9:15 ET
- Press release, Q4 results
- YUM +3.6% AH
Feb. 3, 2014, 4:43 PM| Comment!
Feb. 3, 2014, 12:10 AM
Feb. 2, 2014, 5:35 PM
Jan. 28, 2014, 12:57 PM
- An executive from the National Retail Federation testified before Congress today in an effort to convince the lawmakers that the Affordable Care Act should be modified.
- The group believes a full-time employee should be based on a work week of 40 hours and would like to see the heath care insurance coverage requirement be lifted to 100 employees from 50.
- Restaurant chains (MCD, BKW, DNKN, PZZA, YUM, WEN, KKD, BAGL, DRI, PLKI) operating under a franchise model have been impacted negatively by the Affordable Care Act.
Jan. 13, 2014, 4:21 PM| Comment!
Jan. 13, 2014, 10:48 AM| 2 Comments
Jan. 8, 2014, 2:26 PM
- Pizza Hut (YUM) is front and center at the 2014 International Consumer Electronics Show as it celebrates its 20th year of giving consumers the ability to order pizza online.
- Though lacking any whiz-bang tech product, the company's booth is reported to be a crowd-pleaser.
- The restaurant chain has shifted its focus to the online/mobile theme as it uses a smaller store format to trim some costs. By last count, 40% of all Pizza Hut orders were placed online with half of those coming from mobile devices.
Jan. 7, 2014, 8:24 AM| 1 Comment
Dec. 31, 2013, 9:49 AM
- Yum Brands (YUM +1%) trades higher after Citi forecasts that the restaurant operator will record a positive comp with KFC same-store sales for December.
- Though the news is positive, there are also reports of an increase in the promotional activity from the China KFC business.
- With Yum Brands' profit in China down 11% Y/Y in Q3, the impact on margins in Q4 of the pickup in sales will be closely watched. The consensus EPS estimate of analysts is currently $0.81 after sitting at $0.87 about three months ago.
Dec. 30, 2013, 3:10 PM
- Word hits that Citi believes KFC (YUM +0.9%) same store sales in China have been improving by 7 to 12 points during Dec. from the relatively flat trend in Nov.
- If accurate, the view would run counter to previous worries that the restaurateur may struggle to match the numbers it delivered in Dec. last year.
YUM vs. ETF Alternatives
Other News & PR