Seeking Alpha

Freedoms Truth

Freedoms Truth
Send Message
View as an RSS Feed
View Freedoms Truth's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest  |  Highest rated
  • Obama: Economic recovery is 'going to take time' [View article]
    "his policies and leadership have taken a bad situation and made it a lot worse."

    Yes. The President inherited a bad situation and has done everything in his power to make things worse. Our tepid and pathetic recovery is not inevitable, but simply a logical consequence of the regulatory zeal of Obama's DC kleptocrats and thier ongoing misallocation of our wealth. The best news happens when his policies are thwarted and our economy can advance and surmount Barack Headwinds Obama.
    Jun 12 01:28 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Obama: Economic recovery is 'going to take time' [View article]
    The recovery is on track. We just just need patience and wait for Nov 2012 when one particular individual loses his job.
    Jun 11 05:38 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Here Comes the Summer Rally [View article]
    In the past, the market spent many years with vix barely cracking 20. At 17-19 range, this is not a VIX-complacent market. This is average amount of volatility.
    This is appropriate, given a) the reasonable valuation of the market and b) fact that the 'news' is really already known and baked in and c) lack of catalysts to drive it much higher.

    This is a market that is waiting on further news to quantify current economic weakness (ie temporary or not?). There is no justification for a high VIX in this situation, whether we have pullbacks like we just had or not.
    Jun 9 03:33 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Obama: No fears of double-dip recession [View article]
    Barack Headwind Obama
    Jun 7 10:19 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Bernanke's Vices Continue [View article]
    "The quasi religious model of economics of the right is just as imaginary as Obamanomics."

    You ad hominem misses key points: 7 million jobs lost while the Democrats ran Congress, and the Democrat program that added $5 trillion in debt in 3 years did NOT help the economy or bring jobs back, especially when there are so many anti-jobs actions and policies by obama and the Democrats.

    Fixing the deficit is vital to having a sustainable Federal govt. It's the same thing a business has to do when its in a non-sustainable situation . If you dont fix the deficit before a recession, OR during a recession, OR out of one, you will NEVER fix it. Because we have Greece-level deficits of almost 10% of GDP, they are adding huge chunks of debt, which is dangerous long-term. The sooner we stop the massive deficits the better

    "Bernanke is one of the leading researchers on the business cycle. He would have had this thing already on the mend if it hadn't been for the political pressure which restricts his behavior."

    BS, Ben can do what he wants, nobody can touch him. He chooses to have a Japan-90s-like easy-money and QE approach. And that's what we get: Japan-like policies and Japan-like results.
    Jun 7 09:32 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Republicans can't handle the truth, Paul Krugman writes in his latest column: They "are indeed seeking to dismantle Medicare as we know it, replacing it with a much worse program... In voting for the House budget plan, Republicans voted to end Medicare. Saying that isn’t demagoguery, it’s just pointing out the truth."  [View news story]
    Krugman doesnt have arguments, he has mendacity and name-callin, like much of the left. Soros' media matters and those folks have ruined politics.
    Jun 6 09:50 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Republicans can't handle the truth, Paul Krugman writes in his latest column: They "are indeed seeking to dismantle Medicare as we know it, replacing it with a much worse program... In voting for the House budget plan, Republicans voted to end Medicare. Saying that isn’t demagoguery, it’s just pointing out the truth."  [View news story]
    "think by stating they are reforming Medicare as opposed to eradicating it, the Republicans are just simply being " .... factually correct. Medicare spending is slated to rise monotonically under the Ryan plan, just not up to the moon, swallowing 20% of GDP like current law would eventually do.
    Jun 6 09:49 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • After five straight losing weeks for stocks following a 52-week high, more selling could be ahead if history is any guide. "The last time this happened, almost exactly 10 years ago, it marked an important turning point in the market," Jason Goepfert observes. "The persistent selling pressure was a sign of even worse things to come."  [View news story]
    It's the high level of bearish sentiment like the above out there that kicks in my contrarian thinking. 9 times out of 10 a dip is a good buying opportunity.

    I estimate a 10% chance the doom-n-gloomers are right, 90% chance they are wrong.
    Jun 6 07:03 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Strategist Year-End S&P 500 Price Targets [View article]
    Any metrics on whether this 'discount to target' is bigger or smaller than usual?

    S&P is about 10% discounted from the average year-end target.
    Jun 6 05:48 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Republicans can't handle the truth, Paul Krugman writes in his latest column: They "are indeed seeking to dismantle Medicare as we know it, replacing it with a much worse program... In voting for the House budget plan, Republicans voted to end Medicare. Saying that isn’t demagoguery, it’s just pointing out the truth."  [View news story]
    "Saying that isn’t demagoguery"
    Yes, it is. Krugman is a loon and a liar. that's all the Democrats have left - scare-mongering. If Medicare is so great, why did Obamacare steal $500billion from it to hide the massive costs in Obamacare?
    Also, if vouchers are so bad, why do we have food stamps, section 8 housing, Pell grants, etc.? ALL based on voucher principles!
    Jun 6 05:45 PM | 11 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The S&P 500's P/E Ratio Is a Red Herring [View article]
    "And yet, stocks have gone nowhere for over a decade now ... "

    You argue against the very analysis that explains why:
    PEs were high in 2001 in both absolute terms and relative to treasury yields as shown above.
    Earnings have expanded but PE compression counteracted that. Earnings yield has almost doubled and earnings almost doubled = same valuation. How does PE compression disprove validity of PE based valuation measures?

    It is wrong to argue that PEs do not have predictive value, they do and it has been shown going back to David Dreman and others for some time. And if they didnt, CAPE would be a useless measure (it is not, as you correctly point out, its a long-term guide, not a short-term one).

    Arguments over this or that valuation measure based on different interpretations of PE are rather pointless, as they all have some predictive power (analyzable through historical record) and none are perfect. Further, the fact that valuations are 'cheap' or 'expensive' can persist for some time. Investing in 1976 when it was 'cheap'? Ouch - 6 years of underperformance awaited you until the best buying opportunity of the last 50 years came about - 1982.
    Jun 6 01:55 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The S&P 500's P/E Ratio Is a Red Herring [View article]
    Someone did compare Baa yields to stock yields, and the gap is historically narrower now than usual, another indication of a cheap stock market.

    This is good analysis, but there could be another explanation: Bond yields are artificially low, thanks to QE2. The stock valuations are discounting that fact and so are not rising commensurately. Long-term the yields on treasuries will rise. The good news here is that stock prices wont necessary have to fall if/when that happens.
    Jun 6 01:44 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Weighing the Week Ahead: Have We Reached an Economic Tipping Point? [View article]
    You're the moron for not noticing that Democrats Pelosi and Reid were in charge of the Congress when the 'sucker went down'. 7 million jobs lost on Nancy Pelosi's watch. Think she had absolutely nothing to do with it?
    How anyone can think the Democrats are good for the economy is way beyond the pale.
    Jun 6 12:46 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Bull Case for U.S. Stocks Nobody Makes [View article]
    "If you think deficits will run at 10% of GDP forever you've been brainwashed by Fox News. "
    Arrogant and ignorant comment. What lamestream media source brainwashes YOU?
    We have the highest debt/GDP ratio since WWII and the obama budget overstated growth and still was projecting $7 trillion in new debt over the next decade. There is a serious structural deficit, which will get worse if we dont fix entitlements. And if face higher interest rates? then the amount we can spend on non-interest govt spending will have to be cut in half.

    If we do get Govt spending and debt under control it will be by moving away from the failed and flawed 'spend it all' policy of this Obama administration, and rejecting the folly of like-minded big spending politicians and their fiscal trainwreck policies.
    Jun 5 09:39 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Greenhouse gas emissions hitting record highs [View article]
    Manufactured handwringing by the Globalist Eco- Thought Police.
    This non-issue based on phony science is advanced in order to undermine Western manufacturing base and create an excuse for UN control over industrial production. Any group, corporation or political party willing to sign on to this BS should be shunned, mocked, derided and rejected.
    Jun 5 08:44 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
COMMENTS STATS
833 Comments
1,597 Likes