Seeking Alpha

chanthirani

chanthirani
Send Message
View as an RSS Feed
View chanthirani's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest  |  Highest rated
  • Vringo Vs. Google: Google Did Not 'Flip-Flop' Or Concede To Ongoing Royalties [View article]
    I liked this article for the following reasons:

    a. He states his purpose clearly. "I intend to write a series of articles, each addressing a specific issue that I believe affects the value of VRNG." In my opinion, the point of this article was to rebut Ravicher's earlier article. He then addresses this specific issue.

    b. He gives all 3 reasons as propounded by Google for a delay. He does not cherry pick. He states that he thinks that Ravicher's argument that the judge will not grant a delay is wrong and proceeds to say why he thinks the judge will grant a delay.

    In my opinion, what he is basically saying, in plain language for traders is, "Do not trade February options. Either go long the stock or the warrants. Yes, options can give you more bang for your buck but they can also fizzle out."

    c. In line with my point a, he also destroys Ravicher's article by stating that Google has not conceded anything and gives specific docket numbers as to which areas they are still fighting, which is basically everything.

    d. He also basically states that one should be cautious when trading this stock. This is actually sound advice when trading any stock. DO NOT RISK IT ALL ON ONE STOCK.


    @those commenters who are bashing him
    Please re-read the article again. Remember, he is not pumping the stock up. Neither is he bashing it. This article is just to address one issue that is of timing.

    Also, look to those who are long.
    SteveKimLaw is long but he has stated in one of his first articles, "This is a bet."
    Kevin Porter who is also long has practiced sound money management. His position in VRNG is less than 10% of his total portfolio.
    In my opinion, the odds of a win for VRNG are very good but even a 90% chance of winning includes a 10% chance of losing. So take care.
    As James mentions, The risk reward at this stage is still in favour of VRNG but do not throw everything at it yet.

    Be safe and sleep soundly.
    Jan 9 02:35 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Santa Delivers Cars For December [View article]
    OK. That makes sense. Thank you for your reply.
    Jan 5 09:44 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Santa Delivers Cars For December [View article]
    I followed most of your argument quite wellbut you lost me at the end. Why Ford?

    If we were to look at year-on-year changes, there are other comapnies that are doing better e.g. Chrysler, Honda, Porsche among others. So why do you believe that Ford has the most upside?
    Jan 5 09:05 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Portfolio Strategy For Long-Term Success: Selling Puts [View article]
    @convoluted,

    Rolls on floor laughing.

    Thank you. You just made my day.

    (I especially like reason b)
    Jan 5 07:51 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Did Vringo Traders Overreact To Google's Flip Flop? [View article]
    @modernist,

    Thank you for this info.
    Jan 5 07:13 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Did Vringo Traders Overreact To Google's Flip Flop? [View article]
    @modernist,

    a (causal?) correlation between call options expiry and Steve Kim articles??

    Please check your facts. Steve Kim has written 17 articles on SA, all on the subject of VRNG. The dates of his articles are:
    Oct 1,2,4,5,5,9,9,13,16, 24, 26, 29, 30
    Nov 1, 12, 12
    Dec 6th.

    You are just plain wrong on this. It is my opinion that you are attempting to deflect criticism of Ravicher by attempting to discredit other authors of SA. However your attempt fails as your facts are wrong as I have just shown.
    Jan 5 06:57 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Did Vringo Traders Overreact To Google's Flip Flop? [View article]
    I refer to your statement:
    "Now back to the statement by Google; ask yourself, what did Vringo respond with about whether Google had attempted any settlement discussions? Zippo."

    Actually, in his article yesterday, Dan said:
    "On New Year's Eve, Vringo filed its opposition to Google's postponement request, saying in pertinent part,

    Defendants' claim that a delay is necessary for the parties to negotiate post-judgment royalties themselves is disingenuous. Defendants have not contacted I/P Engine at all since the jury's verdict to convene any such negotiations. "
    Jan 5 06:27 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Google Flip Flops, Concedes Vringo Entitled To Ongoing Royalties [View article]
    OK guys. The name calling has come back again. Let's keep this civil. I have been to Yahoo Message Board and I have been to Seeking Alpha. The level of discussion here is much higher. Let's keep up the standard and not let it degenerate.
    Jan 5 05:54 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Portfolio Strategy For Long-Term Success: Selling Puts [View article]
    Nice article. However as some of the commenter have said, you should use it on stocks that you are willing to own. Examples would beof fundamentally sound companies. AAPL, KO, MSFT, INTC come to mind.
    Jan 4 02:23 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Google Flip Flops, Concedes Vringo Entitled To Ongoing Royalties [View article]
    @marpha,

    Not sure I follow your reasoning. The reason for GOOG's motion was to allow time for the parties to come to a settlement. However if, as stated by VRNG, GOOG has not approached VRNG to discuss settlement, that destros that argument.
    Jan 3 04:10 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Curious Collapse At Las Vegas Sands [View article]
    OK. That makes more sense. Thank you for your reply.
    Jan 3 04:03 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Curious Collapse At Las Vegas Sands [View article]
    "I think the same thing is happening in Singapore, that the Chinese are averse to uncertainty. And they don't know what's going to happen when the new government comes in either this month or next month, but before the end of the year."

    Not sure I understand this comment. The Singapore general elections were held on 7th May 2011. The People's Action Party (PAP) which was the ruling party before the elections, won the elections although with a smaller majority. They won 81 out of a total of 87 parliamentary seats. There would therefore have been no change in government.
    Jan 3 03:55 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Google Flip Flops, Concedes Vringo Entitled To Ongoing Royalties [View article]
    "Defendants' claim that a delay is necessary for the parties to negotiate post-judgment royalties themselves is disingenuous. Defendants have not contacted I/P Engine at all since the jury's verdict to convene any such negotiations."

    This was the single most interesting paragraph that I found in the article. Also means that the final judgement MAY come sooner than expected.
    Jan 3 01:56 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Netflix Gives Reed Hastings Huge Raise: Why? [View article]
    NFLX do not get their content for free. They have to pay for their content. Due to this, they have a high debt load. If AAPL or anyone were to buy NFLX, they would inherit this huge debt. Why should they?
    Jan 3 09:40 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Approaching The Fiscal Cliff As A Nash Equilibrium [View article]
    It is my opinion that the tragedy of the commons http://bit.ly/T0CL6d is a concept that is underappreciated. Nice to see someone talking about it.
    Dec 31 09:46 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
COMMENTS STATS
466 Comments
371 Likes