Seeking Alpha


Send Message
View as an RSS Feed
View stephenhandal's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest  |  Highest rated
  • Amarin's Vascepa: 5 Myths Debunked [View article]
    Wasn't too happy with the conference call today. Sounds like it's going to take a while for everything to fall into place. JZ was vague as usual and deflected questions in certain ways.. Your thoughts, AH?
    Feb 28, 2013. 11:22 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Amarin's Vascepa: 5 Myths Debunked [View article]
    Alex, I actually have a comment/question. I was wondering how your Amarin short position is doing??
    Feb 28, 2013. 11:05 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Amarin: The More You Know The Fishier It Gets [View article]
    Steve -

    I'm in it for the long-term, but regardless, this stock is down 40% since FDA drug approval. I'm referring more to management and although they really can't fix the share price, they need to come out and have some clearing up to do in my opinion. Also, no buyout's coming soon. That's what I'm talking about. Unless there's an NCE decision, I just don't see it happening as I see BP wanting the marketing rights to ANCHOR.
    Feb 28, 2013. 12:34 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Amarin: The More You Know The Fishier It Gets [View article]
    Steve, at least it's nice for a change rather than more Amarin promotion. Regardless if some statements may be incorrect and misleading, don't be a hypocrite.
    Feb 27, 2013. 09:36 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Amarin: The More You Know The Fishier It Gets [View article]
    Also, good point on the mineral oil. I'd like to hear your theory, regardless if it's fact based. Joe was asked by an analyst about in on the last conference call:

    "Dewey, this is Joe. The FDA, through our SPAs, approved our placebo. And over the years, many companies have used olive oil, corn oil, mineral oil, we really think it's much ado about nothing. So we really don't see a difference. What I think is more important to look at, though, is that we've actually looked at the data that was presented on Monday, it was actually worse than the data that our competitor originally presented "

    Joe totally deflects the question pretty much. You wonder why if we go by your theory so to speak. Total digression over to the competitors data. He doesn't even address it and says "it's much ado about nothing" just like NCE which the market has made a crazy deal out of.

    YM6799, I think we have a good chance of receiving NCE, obviously not a 99.9999999999999999% chance like some journalists say on Seeking Alpha. I think a decision is better than nothing, but maybe NCE is really as important as it seems as the patents may not hold up as well after all.
    Feb 27, 2013. 02:30 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Amarin: The More You Know The Fishier It Gets [View article]
    Good article and very objective as opposed to the amateur, one-sided articles you were talking about. There have been so many rumors and such, yet how many have come true? From what I've seen, absolutely ZERO!
    I agree with these points ---> a.) "one thing they should easily agree on is the complete lack of shareholder transparency provided by management"

    b.) "This is just one of countless instances where the author misleads readers by talking about something that he actually has little to no clue about."

    I don't think the ultimate fate lies with the REDUCE-IT trial. ANCHOR is a large market and BP knows it. Regardless if a BO happens or not, Amarin in my opinion will be partnered or have some sort of deal by ANCHOR, which will lead to a higher current share price. Also, what amazed me, was if a buyout was going to happen right after drug approval, why were insiders selling regardless if it was prearranged or a small percentage..

    I'm currently long, but truly appreciate this article looking at the other side (which is so uncommon, especially with Amarin as illustrated by some of your points) Good luck!
    Feb 27, 2013. 01:53 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Amarin's Vascepa: 5 Myths Debunked [View article]
    I see Alex that you're still contemplating your short position. It's been a while. Are you still waiting for the right technical entry... Based off your argument, I would think you'd do well with a short position.
    Feb 25, 2013. 11:27 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Amarin's Vascepa: 5 Myths Debunked [View article]
    Steve, are you kidding me? DHA does not cause any side effects. In fact, DHA has been cited as having many benefits. There is no such thing as a 'healthy' level of LDL cholesterol - 'raising' it to more normal levels is misunderstood.

    It's just that the lower the LDL level, the less likely your risks of a heart attack.

    Brian, the "absurdly bullish" M&A speculation was caused by many popular financial media outlets including Seeking Alpha as well as the Daily Mail and others.
    Feb 25, 2013. 09:31 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Price May Be Increasing For An Amarin Buyout [View article]
    Steve this is odd - I guess you're not seeing my other comments.. I'm going to try to keep this as formal as possible. First, I'd like to say that I agree with most of you points above, but would like to point out that I don't think your "$28-32" range has been maintained throughout your whole time covering the company. Back in October or November, I thought you at one point said upper 30s to low 40s or 8 -10 B. I don't have time to dig up the post, but I'm pretty sure. It doesn't really matter, but just offering it to show the real potential that Amarin has. No hard feelings my friend. Also regarding this statement "All in all, you have a $20+ stock selling for just over $8 TODAY" - you're right about this and I like how you capped the word "today", but still Steve, we are in the present, we can't look into the future. Right now, Amarin is valued at $8. Although it is highly unlikely and I doubt it will ever happen, Amarin may never hit $20. Furthermore, last year, when advice was being given to buy Amarin right after drug approval and such, Amarin ultimately ended up going from $16 to 8. According to Adam Feuerstein, the Amarin short was a popular position among INSTITUTIONAL investors (who are typically more privy to "inside" information) after approval, contrary to buying for the "near-term buyout." GIA is extremely risky, so anything can happen. Regardless if things are "priced out", it doesn't mean that they'll necessarily be priced in. The market focuses on what it feels like. Again, I'm trying to have a conversation with you. There is no need to hit "report abuse" because I have made sure that this post fits all the guidelines beforehand. Do not take this as an accusatory piece as that is not what it is intended as.

    The following points have been brought to my attention by a few sources and I was just wondering if you could elaborate. I personally am taking these arguments with a grain of salt, but would like to see how you respond. Apparently, you've only been posting on Amarin since February 2012... I'm wondering as I thought you had been in this stock longer, OR maybe did you just join Seeking Alpha in February of 2012? Please let me know when you get a chance. No hard feelings... Also, according to one of my sources, you teach at a university, which happens to be approximately 45 minutes from Amarin's headquarters. I would assume that's just a coincidence, but it'd be nice if you could head down to Amarin's US headquarters and speak with senior management. Everyone would really appreciate it and it'd be nice to hear directly from them. Then, one of the points, which I couldn't quite decipher was regarding your articles on Amarin. Essentially, do you have sources for your articles or are they based more on your own research? Finally, I had a question personally. I've spoken to SEVERAL on Seeking Alpha (SA) as well as Stocktwits (ST) and many have stated they'd be interested in more of a disclosure regarding your Amarin position just to understand when you started investing in Amarin and such. One more thing I have always been curious about: Why have you always declined to be paid by SeekingAlpha for writing your articles? Given all your research and time spent writing/responding to comments, I would think you deserve some sort of compensation for it! There are over 700 comments alone, I can't even imagine how many times this thing has been read. It just seems like you are missing out on "free money." Steve, you deserve it as you've definitely made good calls before from the '520 patent and such to others.

    When you get a chance, (as I know you're extremely busy with other commitments), please let me know. Thank you very much and have a nice day Steve.
    Feb 23, 2013. 02:45 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Amarin's Tough Road Ahead [View article]
    Alex, how's your short position doing?
    Feb 22, 2013. 02:54 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Price May Be Increasing For An Amarin Buyout [View article]
    so much for the "substantial shifts up in immediate term"... It's actually gone down more. ANCHOR sNDA may help a bit.
    Feb 22, 2013. 12:59 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Vascepa Launch Puts Amarin's Valuation To The Test [View article]
    Yeah, Brian, it's pretty interesting. JZ was talking about all his preparation and readiness for launch in the December 6th conference call. If that's true, that's a real surprise. I've personally had trouble reaching Amarin in general.
    Feb 19, 2013. 09:40 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Vascepa Launch Puts Amarin's Valuation To The Test [View article]
    Wow... And Amarin has had months to prepare for the launch. I'm surprised. What do you think is happening on the insurance side?
    Feb 19, 2013. 08:17 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Price May Be Increasing For An Amarin Buyout [View article]
    Steve, why are my comments being deleted on your thread. They are not offensive. It's ridiculous. I'm not allowed to have disagreement with you? Seeking alpha and especially these comment threads are supposed to simulate discussion and thought but instead any posts that are supposedly "disruptive" or "offensive" towards the author get deleted by someone. How does that work? I'm trying to have a constructive argument with you, but apparently cannot. It's very disappointing.

    On a side note, no decision again today. Stock needs volume.
    Feb 19, 2013. 07:21 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Amarin's Time Is Soon [View article]
    "currently in Phase III studies" - The ANCHOR indication isn't in phase III studies. They were completed a long time ago. It's Reduce-it which is in phase III studies. ANCHOR is for patients with triglycerides between 200-500 mg/dL, whereas Reduce-it is for patients with triglycerides >150 mg/dL. The only requirement for ANCHOR was that the Reduce-it study had to be "substantially underway" in order for the sNDA to be submitted. You use a good analogy.

    JZ and the Amarin management team have been somewhat vague and undisclosing and as a result this has led to rampant speculation. Sure, they're in "active discussions" with "interested parties", but they've been in those for months - what does that mean??? Then, Joe's been in an "active dialogue" with the FDA for months. It's been 8 months since July. Amarin had an "orange book discussion" per AF on June 22nd, so I'm sure the FDA was aware of NCE back then. It's been approximately 4 months since the FDA's response letter has been circulating. We'll see what happens with that. In terms of a buyout, I'll have to speculate. I personally see it as Joe wants a high valuation including the ANCHOR indication around $30-35 whereas BP CURRENTLY only sees Amarin around $20-25. Now, obviously things need to close the gap. NCE, combo results, sNDA filing, and good sales/scripts. Right now, I see Amarin as being sold before ANCHOR approval. Good sales/scripts aren't going to come for a while in my opinion whereas NCE, sNDA filing and combo results are closer. If we were to have all 3 of those in the bag, then I'd be pretty sure that discussions would heat up and at least one of the BP would submit a serious offer. As for the share price now, it's disappointing, but Amarin needs volume and the only way it's going to get that with news. Management has been surprisingly quiet during launch. Furthermore, I think BP is in a position where they need Vascepa yet at the same time they don't. I'm sure they want to have some things cleared up as I previously stated - especially NCE so they don't have to deal with that. sNDA filing is probably another one too. Other than that, listen carefully to the conference call for anything, but be careful not to over-interpret things as I've done before as some of the statements haven't led to much. We should hear some things then.

    Good luck and let me know your thoughts.
    Feb 19, 2013. 07:11 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment