Seeking Alpha


Send Message
View as an RSS Feed
Latest  |  Highest rated
  • Equity CEFs: Eaton Vance Really Wants You To Own Its Option-Income Funds [View article]
    Not sure how compelling some of these are when you look at long-term charts. On some, dividend gains may be largely erased by declining share price. E.g. EXG would have been purchased for ~$17/share at beginning of Jan/2008. Let's follow this through year by year to the present:

    $17/share Jan/2008
    $10.25/share Jan/2009 (admittedly, a BAD year)
    $12.33/share Jan/2010
    $10.53/share Jan/2011
    $8.80/share Jan/2012

    So share price has basically been cut in half during past 5 years. It has even lost ground since the bottom of the 2008 crisis! Not much of a case to be made for EXG I'm afraid and we are fooling ourselves if we think the future looks rosier than the past for US markets.
    Nov 30, 2012. 02:11 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Challenge: Finding A Balanced Solution To The Fiscal Cliff [View article]
    The most stable and prosperous societies in today's world have fairly high tax rates (Norway, Sweden, Canada etc.) but with this comes health care, social stability, more security for the disadvantaged, lower crime rates, and generally more egalitarian social structures. By comparison, the US appears to be a failed experiment in deregulation. Allowing corporations free reign has gutted the society, made the rich richer, the poor poorer, a society in which the top 5% have more than the other 95%. Don't believe the media because it is controlled by the 5%
    Nov 26, 2012. 07:12 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The selloff in Apple (AAPL) has reached the point of "insanely insane," says Topeka's Brain White, arguably the Street's biggest bull on the stock. Uber-bull or not, maybe he's got a point. Those selling Apple at a sub-10 PE while holding onto or buying Company X - with no earnings growth, selling at a 20 PE, but yielding 5% - may look back one day and wonder what they were thinking. [View news story]
    "Insanely insane" sounds insane to me.
    Nov 19, 2012. 08:58 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
1 Like