Investors occasionally use a stock trading technique called 'Buying Dividends,' which is the technique of buying stocks before the ex dividend date and selling the stock shortly after the ex date at about the same price, yet still being entitled to the dividend. This technique generally works only in bull markets.
If you are interested in buying dividends, there are many stocks in many different industries to choose from. In order to be entitled to the dividend, you have to buy the stock before the ex-dividend date, and you can't sell the stock until after the ex date. The actual dividend may not be paid for another few weeks.
All of the following stocks have market caps over $500 million, and yield over 1%.
- Xilinx, Inc. (NASDAQ:XLNX) Ex dividend date: 2/2/09 Yield: 3.5% P/E ratio: 11.0 PEG ratio: 0.91.
- Autoliv Inc. (NYSE:ALV) Ex dividend date: 2/3/09 Yield: 9.1% P/E ratio: 4.5 PEG ratio: 0.60.
- The Boeing Company (NYSE:BA) Ex dividend date: 2/4/09 Yield: 3.8% P/E ratio: 8.3 PEG ratio: 0.77.
- Bank of Montreal (USA) (NYSE:BMO) Ex dividend date: 2/4/09 Yield: 9.1% P/E ratio: 9.0 PEG ratio: 1.13.
- FirstEnergy Corp. (NYSE:FE) Ex dividend date: 2/4/09 Yield: 4.4% P/E ratio: 12.0 PEG ratio: 1.60.
- Lubrizol Corporation (LZ) Ex dividend date: 2/6/09 Yield: 3.5% P/E ratio: 8.9 PEG ratio: 0.71.
- Corus Entertainment Inc. (USA) (CJR) Ex dividend date: 2/11/09 Yield: 4.1% P/E ratio: 9.3 PEG ratio: 0.74.
- Enbridge Inc. (USA) (NYSE:ENB) Ex dividend date: 2/11/09 Yield: 3.3% P/E ratio: 11.3 PEG ratio: 1.14.
- International Paper Company (NYSE:IP) Ex dividend date: 2/11/09 Yield: 9.4% P/E ratio: 5.2 PEG ratio: 0.95.
- Linear Technology Corporation (NASDAQ:LLTC) Ex dividend date: 2/11/09 Yield: 3.6% P/E ratio: 13.3 PEG ratio: 1.01.
- Mine Safety Appliances (NYSE:MSA) Ex dividend date: 2/11/09 Yield: 4.7% P/E ratio: 10.4 PEG ratio: 1.04.
- Qwest Communications International Inc. (Q) Ex dividend date: 2/11/09 Yield: 9.0% P/E ratio: 7.4 PEG ratio: 1.60.
- Shaw Communications Inc. (USA) (NYSE:SJR) Ex dividend date: 2/11/09 Yield: 3.8% P/E ratio: 13.5 PEG ratio: 0.91.
- Spectra Energy Corp. (NYSE:SE) Ex dividend date: 2/11/09 Yield: 6.8% P/E ratio: 7.5 PEG ratio: 0.83.
- PPG Industries, Inc. (NYSE:PPG) Ex dividend date: 2/18/09 Yield: 5.2% P/E ratio: 12.5 PEG ratio: 1.66.
- Johnson & Johnson (NYSE:JNJ) Ex dividend date: 2/20/09 Yield: 3.3% P/E ratio: 12.4 PEG ratio: 1.30.
- Dominion Resources, Inc. (NYSE:D) Ex dividend date: 2/25/09 Yield: 4.5% P/E ratio: 11.3 PEG ratio: 1.30.
For more details on dividend definitions, check out definitions of dividend dates. If you like dividend stocks, you should check out the the High Yield Utility stocks and the Monthly Dividend Stocks at WallStreetNewsNetwork.com.
Disclosure: Author does not own any of the above at the time this article was written.