1. About one million corporations are headquartered in Delaware.
2. Delaware’s number one export is the chemistry sector, which employs more than 16,000 people.
3. The Health Science industry contributes more than 45,000 jobs and accounted for more than $3 billion to the Delaware’s economy.
4. The U.S. Chamber of Commerce ranked Delaware as the best legal environment for business in 2008 (for the seventh year in a row).
5. The financial services industry in Delaware provides 40,000 jobs.
6. Delaware does not have a sales tax.
7. The Biotechnology & Life Sciences sector is Delaware’s fastest growing industry.
8. An estimated 7.8 million tourists visit the state each year.
9. Delaware is the state with fewer counties in the United States, only three.
10. Delaware’s top commodities are broilers, corn and soybeans.
The following companies are headquartered in Delaware:
El DuPont de Nemours & Co. (DD) is a science and technology company. Its products include benzene, insect control products, products used in the alternative energy industry, and chemicals among other products. The stock has a market cap of $35.5 billion, it has a P/E of 17, a PEG of 2, and it pays a yield of 4.1%.
Incyte Corp. (NASDAQ:INCY) is a biotechnology company. It researches and develops oncologic and hematologic drugs. The company has a market cap of $1.8 billion.
Delphi Financial Group, Inc. (NYSE:DFG) provides disability insurance and excess workers compensation insurance to small and mid-size businesses, group dental and limited health insurance, and group life insurance. The company operates in the United States and Canada. The stock has a market cap of $1.3 billion, a P/E of 8, a PEG of 0.87, and it pays a yield of 1.5%.
Wilmington Trust Corporation (NYSE:WL) is a financial company that offers administrative services, asset management, and broker dealer services in the U.S. and abroad. The stock has a market cap of 1.3 billion, a P/E of 67, a PEG of 11.2, and it pays a yield of 0.2%.
WSFS Financial Corp. (NASDAQ:WSFS) is the holding company for Wilmington Savings Fund Society, a financial company that provides savings accounts, certificates of deposit, mortgages, as well as commercial loans. The stock has a market cap of $291 million, a P/E of 40, a PEG of 8 and pays a yield of 1.1%.
Chesapeake Utilities Corporation (NYSE:CPK) delivers and sells natural gas to customers in the states of Florida, Delaware and Maryland to residential customers, businesses and other utilities companies. The stock has a market cap of $284 million, a P/E of 13, a PEG of 2.24, and it pays a yield of 4.2%.
The Bancorp Inc. (NASDAQ:TBBK) is the holding company of Bancorp Bank (a financial institution that provides banking services to small and midsize businesses in Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Delaware. The stock has a market cap of $239 million, a P/E of 32.6, and a PEG of 2.71.
Artesian Resources Corp. (NASDAQ:ARTNA) is a water utility company operating in Delaware, Maryland and Pennsylvania. The company sells water to residential, commercial and governmental customers. The stock has a market cap of $120 million, a P/E of 17, a PEG of 2.82, and it pays a yield of 4.2%.
Acorn Energy Inc. (NASDAQ:ACFN) is a technology company that provides consulting services to companies operating coal power plants using the SCR system; it also provides management and cleaning services to coal-fired power plants. The stock has a market cap of $88 million. This is a small cap stock and should be considered speculative.
Dover Downs Gaming & Entertainment Inc. (NYSE:DDE) operates a casino in the United States. The stock has a market cap of $61 million, a P/E of 12, and it pays a yield of 3%. This is a small cap stock and should be considered speculative.
For stocks from other states, check out Nevada stocks, Alaska stocks, and Kansas stocks.
Disclosure: Author does not own any of the above.