Pennsylvania is a state that offers affordable living costs and top schools. It provides affordable health care and medical assistance. No wonder so many large corporations are headquartered in Pennsylvania.
These are some facts about the state:
1. Pennsylvania is the third largest exporter of goods in the country. Total 2009 exports were $28.3 billion.
2. Pennsylvania exports were primarily made of Chemical products and machinery and transportation equipment.
3. Pennsylvania per capital personal income for 2009 was $39,578, ranking 18th in the nation.
4. The state’s GDP of $450 billion rank Pennsylvania as the 17th largest economy in the world.
5. Pennsylvania is one of the top producers of nonfuel mineral, such as crushed stone, and Portland cement.
6. Pennsylvania produced 68 million tons of coal in 2009. Coal reserves in the state are the fourth largest in the country.
7. Tourists and Visitors contributed $28 billion to the economy in 2007.
8. 115,000 new green Jobs are estimated to be created by year 2012 in Pennsylvania.
9. Pennsylvania’s top commodities are dairy products, cattle and calves and mushrooms.
10. The state is the number one producer of commercially grown mushrooms, supplying the domestic market with 59% of total domestic production.
The following companies are headquartered in Pennsylvania:
- Comcast Corporation (NASDAQ:CMCSA) is a diversified company. It has two main segments, the cable segment and the high speed Internet segment. The company provides cable TV, high speed Internet and phone service in the United States. The stock has a market cap of $38 billion, a P/E of 15, a PEG of 1.4, and it pays a yield of 2.0%.
- PNC Financial Services Group Inc. (NYSE:PNC) is a diversified financial company. It provides retail banking services, lending, mortgages and cash management services. The stock has a market cap of $33.1 billion, a P/E of 2.48, and it pays a yield of 0.6%.
- Air Products & Chemicals Inc. (NYSE:APD) sells oxygen, nitrogen, argon, and other gases worldwide. The stock has a market cap of 15.7 billion, a P/E of 15, a PEG of 1.37, and it pays a yield of 2.6%.
- HJ Heinz Co. (HNZ) is a food company. It makes and sells ketchup, condiments, soups, deserts, and frozen foods. The stock has a market cap of $14.4 billion, a P/E of 16, a PEG of 1.99, and it pays a yield of 3.7%.
- PPG Industries Inc. (NYSE:PPG) makes and sells protective coatings used in the automobile and aviation industries. The stock has a market cap of $11.2 billion, a P/E of 17, a PEG of 7.90, and it pays a yield of 3.2%.
- PPL Corporation (NYSE:PPL) produces and distributes energy to residential, commercial and industrial customers in the northeast. The stock has a market cap of $10.5 billion, a P/E of 8, a PEG of 0.73, and it pays a yield of 5%.
- Cigna Corp (NYSE:CI) is a health care company that operates in the United States and abroad. The company operates five different but related segments. The stock has a market cap of $10 billion, a P/E of 9, a PEG of 0.99, and it pays a yield of 0.1%.
- Lincoln National Corporation (NYSE:LNC) is an insurance company in the United States. The company offers various products including annuities, universal life insurance, mutual funds and group life insurance. The stock has a market cap of $9.6 billion, a P/E of 9, a PEG of 1.51 and it pays a yield of 0.1%.
- United States Steel Corp. (NYSE:X) makes and sells steel related products. The company operates three segments and conducts business in the United States and Europe. The stock has a market cap of $9.5 billion, a P/E of 116, and a PEG of 11.62.
- AmericsourceBergen Corporation (NYSE:ABC) is in the pharmaceutical industry. The company works with healthcare providers and pharmaceutical companies to provide drug distribution in the United States, Canada and England. The stock has a market cap of $8.2 billion, a P/E of 15, a PEG of 1.14, and it pays a yield of 1.1%.
Disclosure: Author does not own any of the above.