Below is a recap of some recent high-profile management changes at media and entertainment companies during the first quarter of 2005.
The Walt Disney Company (ticker: DIS)
- 3/13/05 - President Robert Iger elected new CEO effective upon Michael Eisner's resignation on 9/30/05. Eisner submitted his resignation on 9/10/05.
Viacom (ticker: VIAB)
- 1/6/05 - Brad Grey named President and CEO of Paramount Pictures; previously he was the Chairman of Brillstein-Grey Entertainment
- 3/16/05 - Announces the possibility of splitting its business: would putCo-CEO Tom Freston in charge of its higher growth businesses, including MTV Networks and would put Co-CEO Les Moonves in charge of broadcast TV and outdoor advertising businesses; Sumner Redstone would remain Chairman of both entities.
- 3/22/05 - Gail Berman joins VIAB's Paramount Pictures after resigning as President of Fox Entertainment
News Corp. (ticker: NWS)
- 3/22/05 - Gail Berman resigns from her position as President of Fox Entertainment to take a high level position at Viacom's Paramount Pictures
- 3/24/05 - Peter Liguori named as Berman's replacement. Previously, he served as President and CEO of FX Networks.
Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia (ticker: MSO)
- 3/1/05 - Suzanne Sobel resigns from her role as Publisher of Martha Stewart Living
- 3/4/05 - Martha Stewart released from prison
Lion's Gate Entertainment (ticker: LGF)
- 1/26/05 - Glen Ross resigns from position as President of Lion's Gate Home Entertainment
- 1/26/05 - Anne Parducci promoted to Executive Vice President, Family Entertainment & Marketing
- 1/26/05 - Michael Rathauser named VP, Family Entertainment
- 1/26/05 - Executive VP, Ken Katsumoto, has duties expanded
NDS (ticker: NNDS)
- 1/4/05 - Alexander Gersh hired as CFO. Previously, he served as CFO of Flag Telecom.
Blockbuster (ticker: BBI)
- 3/8/05 - Peter A. Bassi appointed to Board of Directors. Previously, he was Chairman of Yum! Restaurants International (ticker: YRI)
- 2/28/05 - Former Executive Vice President, Dean Wilson, returns to a business development role
DirecTV (ticker: DTV)
- 3/17/05 - David Hill named President of newly formed entertainment unit. Previously, Hill served as CEO of Fox Sports
- 3/17/05 - Chief Financial Officer Mike Palkovic has role expanded to include oversight over the entire DTV organization
- 3/10/05 - DirecTV CEO Mitch Stern resigns
Dreamworks (ticker: DWA)
- Rick Sands named President and COO. Sands formerly served as Chairman of worldwide distribution at Miramax, a Disney subsidiary.
Salem Communications (ticker: SALM)
- Joe Davis named Executive VP and COO; he was already an EVP with the company
Tivo (ticker: TIVO)
- 1/13/05 - Founder, Chairman and CEO, Mike Ramsey, announces that he will step down as CEO soon as a replacement is found; Ramsey will remain Chairman of the company
- 2/1/05 - President Marty Yudkowitz resigns
Hollywood Entertainment (ticker: HLYW)
- 2/3/05 - Founder, Chairman and CEO, Mark Wattles, resigns
XM Satellite Radio (ticker: XMSR)
- 3/14/05 - Jon Zellner named Senior VP of Music Programming; previously he was an executive with Infinity Broadcasting