Getting Short a Little Copper via Phelps Dodge
is another terrific article by Greg Newton, ex-President of Metal
Bulletin Holdings Corp. It's practically a primer on copper. If you're going to read one article about finance over the weekend, this is the one. (From The
US Market Blog.)
- Sentiment on Knight Ridder (KRI) Too Bearish? is a short, contrarian piece on a newspaper stock by The Stalwart. (From the Media Stock Blog.)
- Four Stock Implications of Google Blog Search argues that Google's blog search is about more than blogs, and has wider signficance for Google and its competitors' stocks. (From the Internet Stock Blog.)
- The Stock-Specific Impact of Rising Energy Costs is a brief recap of a WSJ article naming stocks that will be hit by rising energy costs. (From the Energy Stock Blog.)
- Hurricane Katrina’s Sector Impact on Retail & Consumer Discretionary (NYSEARCA:XLY) and Financials (NYSEARCA:XLF) by XTF Advisors is a brief article discussing the sector impact of the hurricane. (From the Retail Stock Blog.)
- Gas Utility and Energy MLP Stocks Ranked by Yield is just a table; but there's so much interest in dividends that this sort of thing is unusually helpful. (From the Utility Stock Blog.)
- Will Indian Demand Support the Price of Gold? Did you know that India accounts for a disproportionate amount of demand for physical gold? This is another brief recap of a WSJ article (we like these; we view the blogs as an easily searchable and navigable notebook for investors). (From The India Stock Blog.)
- MasterCard’s IPO Filing Discusses Potential Competitor China Union Pay This is exactly the sort of blocking-and-tackling that helps your investment process. Ezra Marbach lifts an excerpt from MasterCard's S-1 about China Union Pay and links to the S-1 itself. (From the China Stock Blog.)
- Adding Alpha in ETF Portfolios by Efficient Market Advisors' Chief Investment Officer Herb Morgan argues that ETFs shouldn't necessarily be equated with passive investing. (From ETF Investor.)
- Ever wondered whether to tip a lousy waiter? Read Tip for tipping. Also worth looking at (these pieces are short): Tip for cutting gasoline expenses, Tip for saving on last-minute travel and Tip for credit card lovers. (From Sound Money Tips.)
Finally, we just launched The Gold Stock Blog. It's still in beta, but the RSS feed is up and running. Take a look, and let me know if you have any suggestions or recommendations.
Have a great weekend!