Warren Buffett, the largest shareholder and chairman of Berkshire Hathaway (NYSE:BRK.A) (NYSE:BRK.B), is ranked by Forbes as the third-richest person in the world with a net worth of over $52 billion. Buffett is among the most respected and successful investors in history.
In 1962 Buffett began purchasing shares of Berkshire Hathaway, then in 1969 focused all of his attention on running the company until it became one of the largest holding companies in the world. It market cap is currently $167 billion.
Buffett is known to buy 'wide moat' businesses with attractive and sustainable returns on capital and long term business predictability. He is known to invest only in companies that he understands and therefore has no exposure to technology stocks and is heavily invested in insurance companies. He sees himself as a capital allocator whose primary responsibility is to allocate capital to businesses with compelling fundamentals, then maintain the company's management. Buffett is a value investor who waits for market conditions to buy solid businesses at reasonable prices. He is conservative when speculation is rampant and his large capital base allows him to buy and hold stock forever. Buffet has been known to purchase controlling stakes in companies.
Berkshire Hathaway has just disclosed a greater than 10% stake in Burlington Northern Santa Fe (BNI), according to an SEC Filing made on April 6, 2007. According to the latest sec 13F filing, Buffett liquidated his stock in Target (NYSE:TGT), Sealed Air Corp (NYSE:SEE) and OSI Restaurants (OSI) and bought new positions in UnitedHealth (NYSE:UNH) and Ingersoll-Rand (NYSE:IR). Data from quarter ending 12/31/2006; filed 2/14/2007.
Recent buys for Berkshire Hathaway:
- UnitedHealth (UNH) New Position; purchased 1,021,400 shares = .09% of overall portfolio
- Ingersoll-Rand (IR) New Position; purchased 636,600 shares = .05 %of overall portfolio
Top Ten Portfolio holdings for Berkshire Hathaway:
- Coca Cola (NYSE:KO) 200,000,000 shares; 18.28% of overall stock holdings
- American Express (NYSE:AXP) 151,610,700 shares; 17.43% of overall stock holdings
- Wells Fargo (NYSE:WFC) 204,022,100 shares; 13.75% of overall stock holdings
- Proctor & Gamble (NYSE:PG) 100,000,000 shares; 12.18% of overall stock holdings
- Moody's Company (NYSE:MCO) 48,000,000 shares; 6.28% of overall stock holdings
- Wesco Financial (NASDAQ:WSC) 5,703,087 shares; 4.97% of overall stock holdings
- Anhueser Busch (NYSE:BUD) 36,417,400 shares; 3.39% of overall stock holdings
- Johnson & Johnson (NYSE:JNJ) 24,588,800 shares; 3.08% of overall stock holdings
- ConocoPhillips (NYSE:COP) 17,938,100 shares; 2.45% of overall stock holdings
- Washington Post (WPO) 1,727,765 shares; 2.44% of overall stock holdings