Lanny's January Dividend Income Summary

|
Includes: CIM, CM, GSK, KHC, NSC, O, PM
by: Dividend Diplomats

Wow, here we are everyone! We are 1/12th in the books and the engine is starting to make progress for 2017. It has been one wild month, being in the busy season - these are the days that last forever, but fly by at the same time. When you are working 60-80 hours per week, it feels like there is so much to do and going on that you can't seem to keep up, but yet, your days are longer, still yearning for more hours in the day. Now that January is in the books, however, that means that one month of dividends is also recorded officially! Let's check out the January Dividend Income round up!

Dividend income

Technically, (you'll see below) another record month for January, I received a total of $381.82. Very consistent names here, with a decent number of entities sending checks my way, see the table below.

With the 11 different entities paying me above, actually it is one less than last year's dividend income post! That is because Kraft (NASDAQ:KHC) has adjusted their dividend payout cycle and is no longer in the "off" months for us US investors, and has moved more towards the March/June/September/December ends... I think? Either which way, that is the reason this looks slightly different. However, similar to last year - Philip Morris (NYSE:PM) still takes the pie here, almost hitting the $100 in one quarter! So weird seeing that, that's for sure. I may have to employ Bert's table, where he shows the YoY percentage increases from each company, I kind of like that - what do you guys think?

Similarly, I have split out between the individual stock amounts and the retirement accounts, as the " - R" indicates a retirement account dividend (or the furthest column to the right). I separate these two, as I like to know what portion of my dividend income is coming from those retirement accounts that I cannot touch until 59.5 (barring any other usage rule I could use). Here, it shows that I received a small total of $33.50 (up from $30.14 last year or up 11.15%) or 8.8% of my income from retirement accounts and the other 91.2% was from my individual taxable account portfolio. Additionally, this shows from retirement accounts that I'm all ready for my set it and forget it mentality to keep that income going. To see my portfolio - one can go to our portfolio summary page.

Dividend income year-over-year comparison

2016:

2017:

Overall, the growth stood at a WHOPPER (don't laugh… ha ha) or 1% from last year to this year. WOW. Talk about massive growth. So what happened? Easy - Kraft didn't pay in January, so that's a $15.54 loss (PY). Additionally, GlaxoSmithKline (NYSE:GSK), due to currency translations, impacted this month. However, there are still high points. Realty Income (NYSE:O) showed a 10.25% increase, Canadian Imperial (NYSE:CM) showed a disgusting 20.89% increase, as well as Chimera (NYSE:CIM) displaying a 23% jump! Awesome, awesome, awesome. That is the right direction, for sure. Looking forward to 2017, that's for sure and one can see my goals for 2017 here.

Dividend Increases

A month wouldn't be a month without high quality companies increasing their dividend! See the small chart below for the details on the dividend increases announced this month that are holdings in my portfolio.

Not a huge/massive amount of increases, but I experienced no dividend cuts and two dividend increases, as shown above. The big kicker here? Norfolk Southern (NYSE:NSC) has jumped their dividend back in dividend growth territory!! YES! YES! YES! Nothing beats an unexpected dividend increase, that's for sure. And on top of that Realty Income had a massive one at 3.95%, as they typically increase it throughout the year, not usually a massive increase in one punch. Just awesome and fortunate. All in all, $10.15 from dividend increases, which at 3.50%, is equivalent to a $290 stock purchase. I'll take this any day.

Dividend Income Conclusion & Summary

Well, it wasn't an incredibly exciting month, but if you take out the Kraft from last year's January, and then compare - it looks a little bit better. I can at least say that I hit another record month and the goal is to always keep doing this month after month after month. Dividend investing... you have to love it!

As I discussed with my updated normal monthly expenditures at the moment, this $382 would cover 39% of my average $984 monthly expense for my house, including utilities, up from last year, and can say it would fully cover any automobile expense (agh, screw driving!). In similar fashion - all of the investing from last year and moves this year show being frugal to save 60% of my income, that every dollar counts, has helped me in achieving lofty goals that I set in place for my 2017 year. LET'S GO!!!!