Merger activity decreased last week with two new deals announced and five pending deals closing.
|Total Number of Deals Closed in 2018||146|
|Total Number of Deals Not Completed in 2018||14|
|Total Number of Pending Deals|
|Stock & Cash Deals||15|
|Total Number of Pending Deals||101|
|Total Deal Size||$1.35 trillion|
- The acquisition of athenahealth (NASDAQ:ATHN) by an affiliate of Veritas and Evergreen for $5.7 billion or $135 per share in cash. We added ATHN as a potential deal to the Deals in the Works section on May 7, 2018 and the price after the news of the potential deal came out was $146.75.
- The acquisition of Tahoe Resources (NYSE:TAHO) by Pan American Silver (NASDAQ:PAAS) for $1.45 billion in a cash or stock deal. Under the terms of the agreement, Tahoe shareholders may elect to receive US$3.40 in cash or 0.2403 Pan American shares for each Tahoe share. In addition, Tahoe shareholders will receive contingent consideration in the form of contingent value rights (CVR) that will be exchanged for 0.0497 Pan American shares for each Tahoe share. We are treating this as a special conditions deal and are using the value of the CVR when calculating the closing price. The large spread on the deal reflects the discount on the CVR, as is usually the case in these types of deals.
- On November 15, 2018, Forest City Realty Trust (NYSE:FCE.A) announced that its stockholders approved the acquisition of Forest City by Brookfield Asset Management (NYSE:BAM). Forest City expects that the acquisition will be completed in December on or prior to December 10, 2018.
- On November 16, 2018, The Navigators Group (NASDAQ:NAVG) announced that, at a special meeting of stockholders, Navigators’ stockholders approved the adoption of the previously announced merger agreement relating to the proposed transaction between Navigators and The Hartford Financial Services Group (NYSE:HIG).
- November 16, 2018: Univar (NYSE:UNVR) and Nexeo Solutions (NASDAQ:NXEO) announced that the waiting period under the Hart-Scott-Rodino Antitrust Improvements Act of 1976, as amended, relating to the previously-announced acquisition of Nexeo Solutions by Univar, expired on November 15, 2018.
- On November 16, 2018, Connecticut Water Service (NASDAQ:CTWS) announced that its shareholders overwhelmingly voted to approve the company’s proposed merger agreement with SJW Group (NYSE:SJW).
- The acquisition of magicJack VocalTec (NASDAQ:CALL) by B. Riley Financial (NASDAQ:RILY) on November 14, 2018. It took 370 days for this deal to be completed.
- The acquisition of GulfMark Offshore (NYSEMKT:GLF) by Tidewater (NYSE:TDW) on November 15, 2018. It took 122 days for this deal to be completed.
- The acquisition of Anchor Bancorp (NASDAQ:ANCB) by FS Bancorp (NASDAQ:FSBW) on November 16, 2018. It took 122 days for this deal to be completed.
- The acquisition of LifePoint Health (NASDAQ:LPNT) by funds managed by affiliates of Apollo Global Management, LLC on November 16, 2018. It took 116 days for this deal to be completed.
- The acquisition of KMG Chemicals (NYSE:KMG) by Cabot Microelectronics Corporation (NASDAQ:CCMP) on November 16, 2018. It took 93 days for this deal to be completed.
Top 10 deals with largest spreads:
|INUV||11/05/2018||ConversionPoint Technologies, Inc. (N/A)||$2.22||$1.18||03/31/2019||88.14%||243.71%|
|TAHO||11/14/2018||Pan American Silver Corp. (PAAS)||$4.10||$3.29||03/31/2019||24.62%||68.08%|
|EHIC||04/06/2018||Teamsport Parent Limited (N/A)||$13.50||$10.85||12/31/2018||24.42%||212.26%|
|KANG||03/26/2018||IK Healthcare Investment Limited (N/A)||$20.60||$16.72||10/31/2018||23.21%||-445.79%|
|GNW||10/23/2016||China Oceanwide Holdings Group Co., Ltd. (N/A)||$5.43||$4.58||12/01/2018||18.56%||564.50%|
|ORBK||03/19/2018||KLA-Tencor Corporation (NASDAQ:KLAC)||$63.09||$54.45||12/31/2018||15.86%||137.82%|
|SCG||01/03/2018||Dominion Energy, Inc. (NYSE:D)||$49.25||$42.96||12/31/2018||14.63%||127.14%|
|S||04/29/2018||T-Mobile US, Inc. (NASDAQ:TMUS)||$7.09||$6.31||06/30/2019||12.38%||20.26%|
|RSYS||07/02/2018||Reliance Industries Limited (N/A)||$1.72||$1.54||12/31/2018||11.69%||101.58%|
|SHPG||05/08/2018||Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited (TKPYY)||$194.74||$175.59||01/08/2019||10.91%||79.61%|
Disclaimer: I hold positions in Finisar (FNSR), Rockwell Collins (COL), Pandora (P) and RadiSys. Please do your own due diligence before buying or selling any securities mentioned in this article. We do not warrant the completeness or accuracy of the content or data provided in this article.
Disclosure: I am/we are long FNSR, COL, P, RSYS. I wrote this article myself, and it expresses my own opinions. I am not receiving compensation for it. I have no business relationship with any company whose stock is mentioned in this article.
Editor's Note: This article covers one or more microcap stocks. Please be aware of the risks associated with these stocks.