In this video we run through the free weekly email newsletter "The Top 5 Charts of the Week" and add a bit of extra comments and context. It's a useful tour across some of our latest work and thinking and just a great selection of global macro/market charts.
This week we look at the following charts and themes:
1. China vs. USA manufacturing PMIs - China's economy is losing momentum, US is as strong as ever.
2. China policy uncertainty index - a spike in policy uncertainty reflects cyclical softening, political risks, structural challenges and perhaps the prospects of stimulus.
3. Global trade volumes - we saw a new high in global container throughput in October (first new high since Jan).
4. Asian FX index - rebounding for a third time of a critical support level, very important development for Asia and EM.
5. The reflation trade positioning indicator - big capitulation, and reflections on 2017 vs. 2018.
Disclosure: I/we have no positions in any stocks mentioned, and no plans to initiate any positions within the next 72 hours.
I wrote this article myself, and it expresses my own opinions. I am not receiving compensation for it. I have no business relationship with any company whose stock is mentioned in this article.