Merger activity increased last week with three new deals announced and seven pending deals closing.
|Total Number of Deals Closed in 2019||13|
|Total Number of Pending Deals|
|Stock & Cash Deals||15|
|Total Number of Pending Deals||78|
|Total Deal Size||$559.28 billion|
- The acquisition of Luxoft Holding (NYSE:LXFT) by DXC Technology Company (NYSE:DXC) for $2 billion or $59.00 per share in cash.
- The acquisition of Loxo Oncology (NASDAQ:LOXO) by Eli Lilly and Company (NYSE:LLY) for $8 billion or $235 per share in cash.
- The acquisition of HopFed Bancorp (NASDAQ:HFBC) by First Financial Corporation (NASDAQ:THFF) for $128.3 million. Under the terms of the merger agreement, stockholders of HFBC may elect to receive either 0.444 shares of First Financial common stock or $21.00 in cash for each share of HFBC common stock owned.
- On January 8, 2019, Tahoe Resources (NYSE:TAHO) announced that the shareholders of Tahoe overwhelmingly voted in favour of the proposed transaction whereby Pan American Silver will acquire all of the issued and outstanding shares of Tahoe.
- On January 9, 2019, Americas Silver Corporation (NYSEMKT:USAS) and Pershing Gold Corporation (NASDAQ:PGLC) are pleased to announce that their respective shareholders have provided the requisite approvals in respect of the previously announced business combination transaction between the two companies.
- On January 9, 2019, SJW Group (NYSE:SJW) and Connecticut Water Service (NASDAQ:CTWS) announced that they are continuing to evaluate their regulatory approach – including the possibility of submitting a new application to the Connecticut Public Utilities Regulatory Authority – in connection with their proposed merger. Pending this review, they have withdrawn their current application before PURA.
- On January 10, 2019, Bojangles’ (NASDAQ:BOJA) announced that, the Company’s stockholders voted to adopt the merger agreement pursuant to which the Company would be acquired by Durational Capital Management and The Jordan Company.
- On January 10, 2019, Electro Scientific Industries (NASDAQ:ESIO), announced that ESI shareholders voted to approve the previously announced definitive merger agreement with MKS Instruments (NASDAQ:MKSI).
- On January 11, 2019, Nevsun Resources (NYSEMKT:NSU) and Zijin Mining Group announced that the Offeror has mailed a notice of compulsory acquisition to all the Remaining Shareholders in accordance with the compulsory acquisition provisions in the Business Corporations Act (British Columbia).
- On January 11, 2019, Science Applications International Corporation (NYSE:SAIC) and Engility Holdings (NYSE:EGL) announced that stockholders of each SAIC and Engility overwhelmingly approved their respective proposals related to the proposed merger of SAIC and Engility.
- On January 11, 2019, Genworth Financial (NYSE:GNW) and China Oceanwide Holdings Group announced that the Virginia State Corporation Commission, Bureau of Insurance, reapproved the proposed acquisition of control by Oceanwide of Genworth's Virginia-domiciled insurance companies, Genworth Life and Annuity Insurance Company and Jamestown Life Insurance Company, as contemplated under the merger agreement.
- On January 11, 2019, Union Bankshares Corporation and Access National Corporation (NASDAQ:ANCX) jointly announced the receipt of regulatory approvals from the Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond and from the Virginia State Corporation Commission to move forward with the proposed merger of Access with and into Union.
- On January 11, 2019, Tahoe Resources (TAHO) announced that the Supreme Court of British Columbia issued its final order approving the proposed transaction whereby Pan American Silver will acquire all of the issued and outstanding shares of Tahoe. Subject to the satisfaction or waiver of all conditions precedent to the Arrangement, including receipt of approval from the Mexican Federal Economic Competition Commission, the Arrangement is anticipated to be completed on or about February 26, 2019.
- January 11, 2019: As part of the U.S. Department of Justice’s review of the Merger, L3 (NYSE:LLL) and Harris (NYSE:HRS) each received on January 10, 2019 a request for additional information and documentary materials from the DOJ, which extends the waiting period under the HSR Act until 30 days after both L3 and Harris have complied with the Second Request or such later time as the parties may agree with the DOJ, unless the waiting period is terminated earlier. L3 and Harris continue to expect the Merger to close in the previously announced timeframe of mid-calendar year 2019.
- On January 11, 2019, Twenty-First Century Fox (NASDAQ:FOX) confirmed that it does not intend to bid for any of the Fox regional sports networks that Disney (NYSE:DIS) (or any entity operating on its behalf) may sell as required by the consent decree with the U.S. Department of Justice.
- The acquisition of Black Box Corporation (BBOX) by AGC Networks on January 7, 2019. It took 57 days for this deal to be completed.
- The acquisition of Shire (SHPG) by Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited (TKPYY) on January 8, 2019. It took 245 days for this deal to be completed.
- The acquisition of Apptio (APTI) by an affiliate of Vista Equity Partners on January 10, 2019. It took 60 days for this deal to be completed.
- The acquisition of Valero Energy Partners (VLP) by Valero Energy Corporation (NYSE:VLO) on January 10, 2019. It took 84 days for this deal to be completed.
- The acquisition of Imperva (IMPV) by Thoma Bravo on January 10, 2019. It took 92 days for this deal to be completed.
- The acquisition of EQGP Holdings (EQGP) by Equitrans Midstream Corporation (NYSE:ETRN) on January 10, 2019. It took 42 days for this deal to be completed.
- The acquisition of Intersections (INTX) by WC SACD One Parent on January 11, 2019. It took 72 days for this deal to be completed.
Top 10 deals with largest spreads:
|INUV||11/05/2018||ConversionPoint Technologies, Inc. (N/A)||$2.22||$1.156||03/31/2019||92.04%||442.04%|
|EHIC||04/06/2018||Teamsport Parent Limited (N/A)||$13.50||$10.00||03/31/2019||35.00%||168.09%|
|AVA||07/19/2017||Hydro One Limited (N/A)||$53.00||$41.29||03/29/2019||28.36%||139.89%|
|GNW||10/23/2016||China Oceanwide Holdings Group Co., Ltd. (N/A)||$5.43||$4.80||01/31/2019||13.13%||281.80%|
|CELG||01/03/2019||Bristol-Myers Squibb Company (NYSE:BMY)||$97.99||$87.4||09/30/2019||12.12%||17.08%|
|S||04/29/2018||T-Mobile US, Inc. (NASDAQ:TMUS)||$7.08||$6.37||06/30/2019||11.09%||24.25%|
|PACB||11/01/2018||Illumina, Inc. (NASDAQ:ILMN)||$8.00||$7.22||06/30/2019||10.80%||23.61%|
|TAHO||11/14/2018||Pan American Silver Corp. (NASDAQ:PAAS)||$4.10||$3.75||02/26/2019||9.33%||79.22%|
|CTWS||03/15/2018||SJW Group (SJW)||$70.00||$64.27||03/31/2019||8.92%||42.82%|
Disclaimer: Please do your own due diligence before buying or selling any securities mentioned in this article. We do not warrant the completeness or accuracy of the content or data provided in this article.
Disclosure: I am/we are long ATHN, FNSR, P. I wrote this article myself, and it expresses my own opinions. I am not receiving compensation for it. I have no business relationship with any company whose stock is mentioned in this article.