Asia-Pacific: The Week Ahead (Feb. 4 - 11)
- Activity on the Asia-Pacific calendar will continue to gather momentum in the week ahead, despite several market closures in observance of the Spring Festival and Lunar New Year.
- Among the events, the Reserve Bank of Australia will announce its interest rate decision,after electing in early December to leave its cash rate unchanged at 1.5%.
- While RBA governor Philip Lowe had touted Australia's stronger-than-expected terms of trade, he said most commodities prices had suffered a downturn, including the significant plunge in oil prices.
- Meanwhile, the Bank of Thailand’s Monetary Policy Committee is also on tap to make an interest rate decision, along with the Reserve Bank of India.
- On the corporate front, earnings season rolls on, with several companies lined up, including Panasonic, Toyota Motor, SoftBank and Japan Tobacco.
Interactive Brokers senior market analyst Steven Levine provides some highlights for what to look for in the Asia-Pacific region in the week beginning February 4.
Note: This material was originally published on IBKR Traders' Insight on January 31, 2018.
The analysis in this material is provided for information only and is not and should not be construed as an offer to sell or the solicitation of an offer to buy any security. To the extent that this material discusses general market activity, industry or sector trends or other broad-based economic or political conditions, it should not be construed as research or investment advice. To the extent that it includes references to specific securities, commodities, currencies, or other instruments, those references do not constitute a recommendation by IB to buy, sell or hold such investments. This material does not and is not intended to take into account the particular financial conditions, investment objectives or requirements of individual customers. Before acting on this material, you should consider whether it is suitable for your particular circumstances and, as necessary, seek professional advice.
Editor's Note: This article discusses one or more securities that do not trade on a major U.S. exchange. Please be aware of the risks associated with these stocks.
This article was written by
Analyst’s Disclosure: I/we have no positions in any stocks mentioned, and no plans to initiate any positions within the next 72 hours.
Business relationship disclosure: I am receiving compensation from my employer to produce this material.
Seeking Alpha's Disclosure: Past performance is no guarantee of future results. No recommendation or advice is being given as to whether any investment is suitable for a particular investor. Any views or opinions expressed above may not reflect those of Seeking Alpha as a whole. Seeking Alpha is not a licensed securities dealer, broker or US investment adviser or investment bank. Our analysts are third party authors that include both professional investors and individual investors who may not be licensed or certified by any institute or regulatory body.