There are many new movie releases this summer, taking advantage of the numerous number of students looking for something to do until school starts, and the couples and families that want to avoid using the air conditioning in their homes and take advantage of the free cool air in the movie theaters.
Here is the list:
1. I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry, starring Adam Sandler, Kevin James, and Jessica Biel. It was just released last weekend and grossed $34.2 million, making it the number one movie for weekend gross. It is distributed by Universal Pictures, which is owned by NBC Universal, which is jointly owned by General Electric (NYSE:GE) with 80%, and Vivendi SA (OTCPK:VIVEF) with 20%.
GE has a price earnings ratio of 18.7, a price earnings to growth ratio of 1.66, and a yield of 2.8%. Its quarterly earnings growth was up 9.6% year over year, on a revenue increase of 4.2%.
2. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, starring Daniel Radcliffe and Emma Watson, which grossed $32.5 million for the weekend, and $207.8 million total gross so far. It is the fifth movie in the Harry Potter film series, which is based on the novel of the same name, by J. K. Rowling. It is distributed by Warner Bros. Pictures, a subsidiary of Warner Bros. Entertainment, Inc., which is a division of Time Warner Inc. (NYSE:TWX).
The stock has a P/E of 12.5, a PEG of 1.49, and a yield of 1.1%. Its earnings for the latest quarter were down 17.8% on a revenue increase of 9.2%.
3. Hairspray, starring John Travolta, Queen Latifah, Amanda Bynes, grossed $27.4 million last weekend, its premier weekend. Hairspray is distributed New Line Cinema, which is also owned by Time Warner.
4. Transformers, produced by Steven Spielberg, which grossed $20.5 million last year. It is distributed by Paramount Pictures, which is owned by Viacom, Inc. (NYSE:VIA).
The stock has a P/E of 17.9, and a PEG of 1.23.
5. Ratatouille, the cartoon about the rat who wants to become a French chef distributed by Buena Vista Pictures Distribution, a division of Walt Disney Co. (NYSE:DIS). It grossed $10.9 million last weekend.
The stock has a P/E of 15.9, a PEG of 1.38, and a yield of 0.9%.
6. Live Free or Die Hard, starring Bruce Willis, Timothy Olyphant, and Maggie Q, which grossed $7.1 million last weekend. It is distributed by 20th Century Fox, which is a subsidiary of News Corporation (NASDAQ:NWS).
It has a P/E of 19.8, a PEG of 1.25, and a yield of 0.6%.
7. License to Wed, is a Warner Bros. Picture, which grossed $3.5 million.
8. 1408, stars John Cusack and Samuel L. Jackson, and grossed $2.6 million, and is distributed by MGM Distribution Company, which is owned by Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, Inc., also known as MGM. MGM is owned by Sony (NYSE:SNE) and Comcast (NASDAQ:CMCSA), along with several other partners.
9. Evan Almighty is distributed by Universal Pictures.
10. Knocked Up is distributed by Universal Pictures.
Disclosure: The author owns TWX and DIS.