- Potential deal in the works, Momentive Global to be acquired by Zendesk.
- Zendesk, Momentive stocks fell after the deal was announced.
- Zendesk investors are clearly not happy with this deal and the stock received multiple downgrades after the deal was announced.
Merger activity increased last week with five new deals announced and four deals completed.
We added Momentive Global (NASDAQ:MNTV) as a potential deal in the works on Oct. 6, 2021, when Bloomberg reported that activist investor Legion Partners Asset Management was calling for a strategic review including a potential sale of the company. Momentive’s price after this announcement was $20.61.
Momentive Global, formerly known as SurveyMonkey, was founded in 1999. Dave Goldberg joined SurveyMonkey as CEO in 2009 and in the same year Spectrum Equity and Bain Capital acquired a majority interest in the company. The company is headquartered in San Mateo, Calif., and operates as an experienced management company, providing cloud-based software solutions to companies.
On Oct. 28, 2021, Zendesk (NYSE:ZEN) announced that it will acquire Momentive, including its iconic SurveyMonkey platform, in an all-stock deal. Zendesk stock fell 14% and Momentive fell 8% after this deal was announced. In its most recent quarter, Zendesk grew its earnings by 32% while Momentive grew its revenue by just 20%. Zendesk also is profitable, while Momentive has been posting losses. Zendesk investors are clearly not happy with this deal and the stock received multiple downgrades after the deal was announced. Shareholder approval is likely to be the key hurdle with this deal considering Momentive stock is now trading below where it was before the deal was announced.
There were 15 SPAC IPOs filed and 2 new SPAC business combinations announced last week. You can find the new SPAC IPO announcements in our SPACs tool here.
- FaZe Clan announced that it has entered into a definitive merger agreement to combine with B. Riley Principal 150 Merger (BRPM).
- Tailwind Two Acquisition (TWNT) and Terran Orbital Corporation, the global leader and pioneer in the development, innovation, and operation of small satellites and earth observation solutions, jointly announced that they have entered into a definitive business combination agreement.
Weekly Spread Changes:
The table below shows weekly spread changes between October 15 and October 22, 2021.
|Symbol||Quote||AcquiringCompany||AcquiringCompany Quote||CurrentSpread||Last WeekSpread||Spread ChangeWeekly||DealType|
|TEDU||0.8712||Kidedu Holdings Limited (N/A)||359.14%||277.36%||81.78%||All Cash|
|JOBS||59.56||Garnet Faith Limited (N/A)||0.00||32.72%||23.55%||9.17%||All Cash|
|CLDB||29.15||Farmers National Banc Corp. (FMNB)||17.82||6.98%||2.89%||4.09%||All Stock|
|FBC||47.19||New York Community Bancorp, Inc. (NYCB)||12.43||5.76%||2.07%||3.69%||All Stock|
|SPWH||17.26||The Great American Outdoors Group (N/A)||4.29%||1.93%||2.36%||All Cash|
|HBMD||20.71||F.N.B. Corporation (FNB)||11.65||1.26%||3.98%||-2.72%||All Stock|
|MRLN||22.92||HPS Investment Partners LLC (N/A)||2.53%||5.57%||-3.04%||All Cash|
|XLNX||180||Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. (AMD)||120.16||15.05%||19.65%||-4.60%||All Stock|
|XONE||23.02||Desktop Metal, Inc. (DM)||6.99||10.77%||15.49%||-4.72%||Special Conditions|
|MX||18.96||South Dearborn Limited (N/A)||52.95%||61.38%||-8.43%||All Cash|
|Total Number of Deals Closed in 2021||158|
|Total Number of Deals Not Completed in 2021||12|
|Total Number of Pending Deals|
|Stock & Cash Deals||6|
|Total Number of Pending Deals||90|
|Total Deal Size||$943.94 billion|
- The acquisition of PAE Inc. (PAE) by Amentum Government Services Holdings for $1.9 billion or $10.05 per share in cash.
- The acquisition of Dawson Geophysical Company (DWSN) by Wilks Brothers for $18.56 million or $2.34 per share in cash.
- The merger of Oasis Midstream Partners (OMP) with Crestwood Equity Partners (CEQP) for $1.8 billion in an all-stock deal. Under the terms of the agreement, OMP unitholders will receive 0.87 units of Crestwood common units for each unit of OMP owned.
- The acquisition of Phillips 66 Partners (PSXP) by Phillips 66 (PSX) for $14.5 billion in an all-stock deal. Under the terms of the agreement, each outstanding PSXP common unitholder would receive 0.50 shares of PSX common stock for each PSXP common unit.
- The acquisition of Momentive Global by Zendesk for $4.21 billion in an all-stock deal. Under the terms of the agreement, Momentive stockholders will receive 0.225 shares of Zendesk stock for each share of Momentive stock. We added MNTV as a potential deal to the Deals in the Works section on October 6, 2021, and the price after the news of the potential deal came out was $20.61.
- On October 27, 2021, Sanderson Farms (SAFM) has received regulatory approvals from each of the Ministry of Commerce of the People’s Republic of China and the Federal Economic Competition Commission of Mexico in connection with the transactions contemplated by the Agreement and Plan of Merger.
- On October 27, 2021, Trillium Therapeutics (TRIL) announced that it has received a final order from the Supreme Court of British Columbia approving the previously announced plan of arrangement with PF Argentum, a wholly-owned, indirect subsidiary of Pfizer (PFE).
- On October 28, 2021, The waiting period under the Hart-Scott-Rodino Antitrust Improvements Act of 1976, as amended (the “HSR Act”), expired in connection with the previously announced proposed merger between The ExOne Company (XONE) and Desktop Metal (DM).
- On October 28, 2021, the Acting CFIUS Staff Chairperson notified Magnachip Semiconductor Corporation (MX) and South Dearborn Limited that CFIUS is undertaking an investigation of the Merger pursuant to Section 721(B)(2) of the Defense Production Act of 1950, as amended, which will be completed no later than December 13, 2021. There can be no assurance that the Company and Parent will develop or agree to any proposals that would result in CFIUS clearance.
- On October 29, 2021, shareholders of Extraction Oil & Gas (XOG) approved the company’s merger with Bonanza Creek Energy (BCEI) at a special meeting of shareholders.
- On October 29, 2021, Canadian Pacific Railway Limited (CP) and Kansas City Southern (KSU) announced that they have jointly filed a railroad control application with the Surface Transportation Board regarding the proposed transaction to create Canadian Pacific Kansas City.
- The acquisition of Cadence Bancorporation (CADE) by BancorpSouth Bank on October 29, 2021. It took 200 days for this deal to be completed.
- The acquisition of Misonix (MSON) by Bioventus (BVS) on October 29, 2021. It took 92 days for this deal to be completed.
- The acquisition of Medallia (MDLA) by Thoma Bravo on October 29, 2021. It took 95 days for this deal to be completed.
- The acquisition of Severn Bancorp (SVBI) by Shore Bancshares (SHBI) on October 29, 2021. It took 240 days for this deal to be completed.
Top 10 deals with largest spreads:
|TEDU||04/30/2021||Kidedu Holdings Limited (N/A)||$4.00||$0.8712||12/31/2021||359.14%||2148.93%|
|MX||03/26/2021||South Dearborn Limited (N/A)||$29.00||$18.96||12/31/2021||52.95%||316.85%|
|JOBS||06/21/2021||Garnet Faith Limited (N/A)||$79.05||$59.56||12/31/2021||32.72%||195.80%|
|CHNG||01/06/2021||UnitedHealth Group Incorporated (UNH)||$25.75||$21.53||12/31/2021||19.60%||117.28%|
|AJRD||12/20/2020||Lockheed Martin Corporation (LMT)||$51.00||$44.01||12/31/2021||15.88%||95.04%|
|XLNX||10/27/2020||Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. (AMD)||$207.08||$180||12/31/2021||15.05%||90.03%|
|SJR||03/15/2021||Rogers Communications Inc. (RCI)||$32.40||$28.84||06/30/2022||12.34%||18.62%|
|XONE||08/11/2021||Desktop Metal, Inc. (DM)||$25.50||$23.02||12/31/2021||10.77%||64.46%|
|SOLY||05/10/2021||Allergan Aesthetics (N/A)||$22.60||$20.59||12/31/2021||9.76%||58.41%|
|COHR||03/25/2021||II-VI Incorporated (IIVI)||$275.06||$254.4||12/31/2021||8.12%||48.60%|
SPAC activity seems to be picking up pace once again with 57 SPAC IPOs filed in the month of October. SPAC business combinations continue to grow as well. One of the significant SPAC business combinations in October was the merger agreement between Trump Media & Technology Group and Digital World Acquisition (DWAC) to create a new social media network. DWAC skyrocketed after the announcement of this combination, highlighting the opportunities and pitfalls that lurk in SPACs.
This article was written by
Asif Suria is an entrepreneur and investor with a professional background in technology and a focus on event driven strategies including: merger arbitrage, spinoffs, (legal) insider trading, buybacks and SPACs. Asif has been actively investing for over 20 years and sharing his ideas for the past 10.He is the leader of the investing group Inside Arbitrage where he shares investment ideas rarely found in mainstream financial press. Inside Arbitrage provides access to six different event-driven strategies to expand your investing toolbox, special situations focused tools, qualitative writeups of ideas through weekly articles, and a comprehensive monthly newsletter. Learn more.
Analyst’s Disclosure: I/we have a beneficial long position in the shares of NUAN, CHNG, TRIL either through stock ownership, options, or other derivatives. I wrote this article myself, and it expresses my own opinions. I am not receiving compensation for it. I have no business relationship with any company whose stock is mentioned in this article.
Disclaimer: I have long positions in Nuance Communications (NUAN), Change Healthcare (CHNG) and Trillium Therapeutics (TRIL). I also have put options in Change Healthcare. Please do your own due diligence before buying or selling any securities mentioned in this article. We do not warrant the completeness or accuracy of the content or data provided in this article.
Seeking Alpha's Disclosure: Past performance is no guarantee of future results. No recommendation or advice is being given as to whether any investment is suitable for a particular investor. Any views or opinions expressed above may not reflect those of Seeking Alpha as a whole. Seeking Alpha is not a licensed securities dealer, broker or US investment adviser or investment bank. Our analysts are third party authors that include both professional investors and individual investors who may not be licensed or certified by any institute or regulatory body.