- R.R. Donnelley & Sons Company has been in the middle of a bidding war between Atlas Holdings and Chatham Asset Management.
- RRD terminated its agreement with Atlas Holdings on December 14, 2021, and agreed to be acquired by Chatham Asset Management for $10.85 per share in cash.
- Last week, RRD received an unsolicited non-bidding "Alternative Acquisition Proposal" from a strategic party to acquire RRD for $11.00 per share in cash.
Merger activity was muted during the last week of the year 2021 with no new deals announced and two active deals consummated, one of which was completed just 39 days after the signing of the definitive merger agreement. This month we included a U.S. M&A special year-end report in our January 2022 Special Situations newsletter in addition to highlighting two merger arbitrage opportunities as our spotlight ideas for the month. A snapshot of the special report is given below.
2021 U.S. M&A Special Report (source: Inside Arbitrage database)
During 2021, we saw 16 deals terminated, which was marginally better than the 17 deals that were terminated in 2020 but the news was not all bad. Only 4 deals were terminated on account of regulatory issues. Seven deals were terminated because they received new offers and in many cases Christmas came early because the deals went through bidding wars that lasted multiple rounds. Before Coherent (COHR) terminated its merger agreement with Lumentum (LITE) and finally tied the knot with II-VI Incorporated (IIVI), the deal went through nine rounds of counter offers involving three different parties.
We are seeing something similar play out right now with the acquisition of R.R. Donnelley & Sons Company (NYSE:RRD). The company has been in the middle of a bidding war between Atlas Holdings and Chatham Asset Management. We had added RRD to our list of potential deals on October 12, 2021, when Chatham Asset Management, RRD’s largest bondholder offered to acquire the company for $7.50 per share in cash. RRD’s price after this announcement was $6.57. RRD, however entered into an agreement to be acquired by Atlas Holdings. We wrote the following in our Merger Arbitrage post titled: Merger Arbitrage Mondays – R. R. Donnelley To Be Acquired By Atlas Holdings
On November 3, 2021, R. R. Donnelley entered into a definitive merger agreement to be acquired by affiliates of Atlas Holdings for approximately $2.1 billion or $8.52 per share in cash. On the same day, Chatham enhanced its offer to acquire all the common stock of RRD not already owned by Chatham for a range of $9.00 to 9.50 per share in cash. RRD’s price went up to $9.11 after this offer was announced. Under the terms of the merger agreement, RRD may solicit additional acquisition proposals from third parties during a “go shop” period of 25 calendar days from the signing of the merger agreement. Given this bidding war, it is not surprising to see R. R. Donnelley trade at a negative spread of more than 7% to the $8.52 per share acquisition price.
For a company with $1.5 billion in net debt on the balance sheet and twelve continuous quarters of revenue decline before a 6.42% increase in revenue in Q3 2021, it is rather unusual that not just one suitor but two of them are competing to acquire R. R. Donnelley. The go shop period is very short and if the company’s management does not engage with Chatham, shareholders would end up with a sub-optimal outcome.
After multiple rounds of counter offers, RRD terminated its agreement with Atlas Holdings on December 14, 2021 and agreed to be acquired by Chatham Asset Management for $10.85 per share in cash. This increased bid was almost 45% higher than Chatham's original bid of $7.50 for RRD on October 12, 2021. Much to the delight of arbitrageurs, the bidding war has still not ended. On December 29, 2021, RRD received an unsolicited non-bidding "Alternative Acquisition Proposal" from a strategic party to acquire RRD for $11.00 per share in cash.
The following seven deals had a closing date of December 31, 2021, but since they have not yet been completed, we are extending the closing dates for these deals to the end of the first quarter of 2022.
- The acquisition of Independence Holding Company (IHC) by Geneve Holdings
- The acquisition of Dawson Geophysical Company (DWSN) by Wilks Brothers
- The acquisition of Nuance Communications (NUAN) by Microsoft (MSFT)
- The acquisition of People's United Financial (PBCT) by M&T Bank Corporation (MTB)
- The acquisition of Flagstar Bancorp (FBC) by New York Community Bancorp (NYCB)
- The acquisition of PNM Resources (PNM) by Avangrid (AGR)
- The acquisition of 51job (JOBS) by Garnet Faith Limited
SPAC activity was also low with only three new SPAC IPOs filed. There were no new SPAC combinations announced last week.. You can find the new SPAC IPO announcements in our SPACs tool here.
Weekly Spread Changes:
The table below shows weekly spread changes between December 24 and December 31, 2021.
|Symbol||Quote||AcquiringCompany||AcquiringCompany Quote||CurrentSpread||Last WeekSpread||Spread ChangeWeekly||DealType|
|BRG||26.39||Blackstone Real Estate (N/A)||13.11%||0.00%||13.11%||Special Conditions|
|PVG||14.09||Newcrest Mining Limited (OTCPK:NCMGY)||17.81||2.18%||0.82%||1.36%||All Stock|
|MGP||40.85||VICI Properties Inc. (VICI)||30.11||0.69%||-0.59%||1.28%||All Stock|
|FVCB||19.81||Blue Ridge Bankshares, Inc. (BRBS)||17.9||3.84%||2.71%||1.13%||All Stock|
|NFH||11.46||Unicorn II Holdings Limited (N/A)||4.71%||3.63%||1.08%||All Cash|
|TMX||45.23||Rentokil Initial plc (RTOKY)||40.13||21.60%||24.01%||-2.41%||Special Conditions|
|GSS||3.83||Chifeng Jilong Gold Mining Co., Ltd. (N/A)||2.09%||5.11%||-3.02%||All Cash|
|JOBS||48.93||Garnet Faith Limited (N/A)||61.56%||66.07%||-4.51%||All Cash|
|RRD||11.26||Chatham Asset Management, LLC (N/A)||-3.64%||1.12%||-4.76%||All Cash|
|NES||3.04||Select Energy Services, Inc. (WTTR)||6.23||-47.72%||-20.93%||-26.79%||All Stock|
|Total Number of Pending Deals|
|Stock & Cash Deals||7|
|Total Number of Pending Deals||85|
|Total Deal Size||$457.51 billion|
- On December 29, 2021, R.R. Donnelley & Sons Company announced the receipt of an unsolicited non-binding "Alternative Acquisition Proposal" from a strategic party to acquire all of the outstanding shares of RRD’s common stock for $11.00 per share in cash.
- On December 30, 2021, Centene Corporation (CNC) and Magellan Health (MGLN) announced that they have obtained all required regulatory approvals necessary to close Centene’s pending acquisition of Magellan Health. Subject to the satisfaction of customary closing deliveries, the parties anticipate closing the acquisition on or about January 4, 2022.
- On December 30, 2021, Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) and Xilinx (XLNX) released a statement, stating that they now expect the transaction to close in the first quarter of 2022.
- On December 30, 2021, Golden Star Resources (GSS) announced that its shareholders approved a special resolution (the "Arrangement Resolution") in respect of a statutory plan of arrangement under Section 192 of the Canada Business Corporations Act, involving the company and Chifeng Jilong Gold Mining.
- On December 30, 2021, Santander Holdings USA announced that it has extended the expiration date of its previously announced tender offer to acquire all outstanding shares of common stock of Santander Consumer USA Holdings (SC). The Transaction is not subject to shareholder approval and is currently expected to close in the first quarter of 2022 upon receipt of regulatory approval.
- The acquisition of Dicerna Pharmaceuticals (DRNA) by Novo Nordisk (NVO) on December 27, 2021. It took 39 days for this deal to be completed.
- The acquisition of CoreSite Realty Corporation (COR) by American Tower Corporation (AMT) on December 28, 2021. It took 43 days for this deal to be completed.
Top 10 deals with largest spreads:
|JOBS||06/21/2021||Garnet Faith Limited (N/A)||$79.05||$48.93||12/31/2021||61.56%||-11234.21%|
|TMX||12/14/2021||Rentokil Initial plc (RTOKY)||$55.00||$45.23||12/31/2022||21.60%||21.72%|
|CHNG||01/06/2021||UnitedHealth Group Incorporated (UNH)||$25.75||$21.38||06/30/2022||20.44%||41.68%|
|XLNX||10/27/2020||Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. (AMD)||$248.00||$212.03||03/31/2022||16.96%||70.36%|
|BRG||12/20/2021||Blackstone Real Estate (N/A)||$29.85||$26.39||06/30/2022||13.11%||26.73%|
|PNM||10/21/2020||Avangrid, Inc. (AGR)||$50.30||$45.61||12/31/2021||10.28%||-1876.62%|
|AJRD||12/20/2020||Lockheed Martin Corporation (LMT)||$51.00||$46.76||03/31/2022||9.07%||37.61%|
|ARNA||12/13/2021||Pfizer Inc. (PFE)||$100.00||$92.94||06/30/2022||7.60%||15.49%|
|SJR||03/15/2021||Rogers Communications Inc. (RCI)||$32.40||$30.34||06/30/2022||6.79%||13.84%|
M&A activity in 2021 rebounded sharply with 219 deals announced that were worth over $841 billion in comparison to $605 worth of deals announced in 2020. 194 active deals were successfully completed and 16 active deals were terminated. 111 potential deals in the works were announced in 2021 and 44 of these entered into definitive merger agreements. We expect this momentum to continue in the first part of 2022 before tapering in the second half of the year. Widening spreads on account of perceived regulatory issues and potential interest rate hikes, combined with bidding wars is going to make for fertile hunting grounds for arbitrageurs in 2022.
"Thank you for taking the time to read my article. If you want to learn more about my research process and which event-driven opportunities I am focused on, please stay tuned because I am launching a subscription marketplace service with Seeking Alpha in early January and the first wave of subscribers will get a significant lifetime discount. More details coming soon, so please take a moment to follow me and read my upcoming articles."
This article was written by
Asif Suria is an entrepreneur and investor with a professional background in technology and a focus on event driven strategies including: merger arbitrage, spinoffs, (legal) insider trading, buybacks and SPACs. Asif has been actively investing for over 20 years and sharing his ideas for the past 10.He is the leader of the investing group Inside Arbitrage where he shares investment ideas rarely found in mainstream financial press. Inside Arbitrage provides access to six different event-driven strategies to expand your investing toolbox, special situations focused tools, qualitative writeups of ideas through weekly articles, and a comprehensive monthly newsletter. Learn more.
Analyst’s Disclosure: I/we have a beneficial long position in the shares of NUAN, CHNG, PFE either through stock ownership, options, or other derivatives. I wrote this article myself, and it expresses my own opinions. I am not receiving compensation for it. I have no business relationship with any company whose stock is mentioned in this article.
Disclaimer: I have long positions in Nuance Communications (NUAN), Change Healthcare (CHNG), and Pfizer (PFE). I also have put options in Change Healthcare. Please do your own due diligence before buying or selling any securities mentioned in this article. We do not warrant the completeness or accuracy of the content or data provided in this article.
Seeking Alpha's Disclosure: Past performance is no guarantee of future results. No recommendation or advice is being given as to whether any investment is suitable for a particular investor. Any views or opinions expressed above may not reflect those of Seeking Alpha as a whole. Seeking Alpha is not a licensed securities dealer, broker or US investment adviser or investment bank. Our analysts are third party authors that include both professional investors and individual investors who may not be licensed or certified by any institute or regulatory body.