It looks like everything can be negotiated in Idaho. In 2005 the town of Santa, Idaho changed its name to SecretSanta.com for one year, in return for $20,000. More recently, new fiscal legislation passed with the aim of stimulating the economy statewide. Some interesting facts about Idaho are next:
- The state just passed a $19.17 million reduction on corporate income tax legislation.
- Idaho is ranked fifth nationally for entrepreneurial action
- Idaho’s top agricultural products are dairy products, cattle and calves and potatoes.
- Idaho’s mining sector includes silver, phosphate rock and gold.
- Service industries are the largest sector of Idaho’s economy.
- Idaho’s financial sector grew 7% between 2005 and 2007.
- The mining industry generates 4,100 jobs in the state.
- Idaho’s Sun Valley is one of the country’s favorite tourist destinations.
- Idaho’s gross product in 2004 was $43.6 billion.
- One out of every three potatoes comes from Idaho.
The following companies are headquartered in Idaho. They all have a market cap of over $200 million.
- Micron Technology (NASDAQ:MU) makes and sells semiconductor devices throughout the world. The company recently generated negative earnings of $1.86 per share.
- Idacorp Inc Holding Co. (NYSE:IDA) generates, distributes and markets electric energy. The stock has a P/E of 17.46, a PEG of 2.38, and it pays a yield of 4%.
- Coeur D'alene (NYSE:CDE) mines properties in the United States, South America, Australia and Africa. The stock has a P/E of 20.11, and a PEG of 0.69.
- Hecla Mining Co. (NYSE:HL) operates mines and markets silver, gold, lead and zinc. The stock has a PEG of 9.41.
- Coldwater Creek Inc (NASDAQ:CWTR) is a retailer of women’s clothes, and accessories, and it operates mainly in the United States. The stock has a PEG of 32.06.
- American Ecology Corp. (NASDAQ:ECOL) is a waste management company specializing in radioactive and hazardous waste in the United States. The company has a P/E of 26.68, a PEG of 1.26, and it pays a yield of 2.30%.
- MWI Veterinary Supplies, Inc. (NASDAQ:MWIV) supplies veterinary health products in the United States, as well as pet foods and nutritional supplements. The stock has a P/E of 25.91, and a PEG of 1.38.
- Boise, Inc. (NYSE:BZ) produces and markets packaging and paper items of a wide range. The company has a forward P/E of 7.
- NightHawk Radiology Holdings, Inc. (NHWK) renders radiology services to hospitals throughout the United States. The stock has a P/E of 27.36, a PEG of 0.83.
- International Isotopes Inc. [INIS.OB] makes nuclear medicine calibration and reference standards. The company recently generated negative earnings of $0.01 per share.
Disclosure: The author does not own any of the above.