Building on earlier Greenplum “big data” releases, like the EMC Greenplum Data Computing Appliance, the Community Edition lowers the cost barrier to entry for big data power tools for more developers, data scientists, and other data professionals.
The tools help to developers better understand data and provide new data uses, as well provide deeper insights and to better visualize those insights. The release was made at the 2011 O'Reilly Strata Conference, by Scott Yara, vice president, EMC Data Computing Products Division. EMC acquired Greenplum last summer. [Disclosure: Greenplum is a sponsor of BriefingsDirect podcasts.]
With the easily accessible Community Edition stack, developers can build complex applications to collect, analyze and operationalize big data leveraging best of breed big data tools, including the Greenplum Database with its in-database analytic processing capabilities.
“Our new Community Edition provides a parallel-everything 'big data' stack with unequaled speed that enables analysts to perform next-generation data analytics and experiment with real-world data, and most importantly -- innovate,” explained Luke Lonergan, CTO and vice president, EMC Data Computing Products Division and co-founder of Greenplum. “This project is about empowering developers. They can program using the most popular tools and they have a place to contribute open source extensions to the stack.”
The free EMC Greenplum Community Edition includes:
- Greenplum Database CE, an industry-leading MPP database product for large-scale analytics and next-gen data warehousing.
- MADlib, an open source analytic algorithms library, providing data-parallel implementations of mathematical, statistical and machine learning methods for structured and unstructured data.
- Alpine Miner, an intuitive visual data mining modeler that delivers rapid "modeling to scoring" capabilities, leverages in-database analytics, and is purpose-built for "big data" applications.
The initial release of the Community Edition is designed for both first-time users and experienced Greenplum customers. First-time users gain access to a comprehensive, purpose-built business analytics environment that enables them to view, modify and enhance included demo data files, enabling experimentation with “big data” analytical tools within the Greenplum database. Existing users can download an upgraded version of Greenplum Database CE and analytic tools for integration into their development and research environments.
The Community Edition can be downloaded free of charge from http://community.greenplum.com as a pre-configured VMWare virtual appliance for use on laptops and desktops, or as a set of packages for deployment on user machines. All users are free to participate in new Greenplum community forums to get support, collaborate, post ideas, and test enhancements developed by various users independently.
Regular Community Edition updates will be made available online. The Community Edition is intended for experimentation, development and research purposes only. Current single-node edition users can deploy the new Community Edition in their single-node production environments. Greenplum commercial licenses must be purchased prior to using code for internal data processing or for any commercial or production purpose.
You may also be interested in:
- Greenplum speeds creation of 'self-service' data warehouses with Enterprise Data Cloud release
- IBM acquires Netezza as big data market continues to consolidate around appliances, middle market, new architecture
- Aster Data's newest offerings provide row and column functionality for big data MPP analytics