Hess announced a 23% YoY fall in production to 310 MBOE/d. The decrease was due to asset sales in Russia, UK North Sea and Azerbaijan (83 MBOE/d), extended shutdowns in GoM and lower production in Libya (23 MBOE/d), and maintenance and declines (24 MBOE/d). The reductions were partially offset by rising production at Valhall field, offshore Norway (up by 30 MBOE/d), and Bakken (up by 8 MBOE/d).
Q3-2013 operational highlights:
- Bakken: Production rose 14% YoY to 71 MBOE/d; guidance remains unchanged at 64-70 MBOE/d
- Valhall, offshore Norway: Production of 37 MBOE/d, up from 7 MBOE/d in Q3-2012; full year production expected at lower end of the guidance of 24-28 MBOE/d
- Kurdistan: First exploration well spud in Shakrok Block; a second well, on the Dinarta Block, due to be spud in Nov-2013
- Divestiture processes advanced for upstream assets in Indonesia and Thailand; Looking for Partners in Kurdistan and Ghana
Q3-2013 financial highlights:
- Net profit down 25% YoY to $420 million
- Total revenue of $2.7 billion, down 23% YoY
- Capex of $1.5 billion, down 35% YoY
- Capex expected to be 18% YoY lower at $6.8 billion
- Production to be at the lower end of its guidance of 340-355 MBOE/d due to unrest in Libya
Disclosure: I have no positions in any stocks mentioned, and no plans to initiate any positions within the next 72 hours.