Click Here To Play Learn and Earn
I am very excited to share with you a most very important aspect of trading . . . Proper Position Sizing. Now there's a game you can play to optimized your position sizes and trading results.
Dr Van Tharp Position Sizing Game
* New Screen Designs: The game’s new “look and feel” makes it simpler to play, easier to understand, and more like what you are used to seeing when you trade.
* Realistic Mode: Play the game at whole new level where slippage, commissions, taxes, and trader mistakes eat into your equity — just like real trading.
* Track Drawdowns “Playing” Your Own System: “Play” your own trading system in simulation mode and the game tracks the drawdowns for you. Get some ideas about what your system’s drawdowns feel like, how deep they might get, and how long they might last.
* Easy-to-Read Instructions and Help Section: The easy-to-read instructions and extensive guide help new players learn the game faster and provide some position sizing ideas.
* Works on New PCs: Play the game on any Windows Vista or Windows 7 PC (or on a Mac operating in Windows mode). Also this version still works great in XP.
* Hands Free Updates: The game now automatically checks for software updates so you will always run the most updated code for the version available.
The feedback on all of the improvements from our beta testers has been glowing. We took a lot of time to make the game an excellent teaching tool as well as a fun activity. Based on the initial feedback, it looks like ”Job Done.”
What's the Position Sizing Game About?
While people always look for "real" secrets of top traders, they tend to look in all the wrong places and at all the wrong things. To so many traders, success seems to come from finding the ultimate stock picking methods or a magical trading system with 80%+ winning trades. Let me be clear about what my research has proven to me.
Picking the right stocks has nothing to do with trading success and neither do amazing trading systems with high percentage wins.
How then do you become a master trader? The Market Wizards agree that there are three keys to trading success:
1. Follow the golden rule of trading—cut your losses short and let your profits run.
2. Master the part of your trading that tells you how much.
3. Develop the discipline to follow both of those elements.
The Position Sizing Game helps you with all three of these.
First, you start to learn to answer the question “How much?” through position sizing™ strategies.
Second, playing the game helps you learn how to let your profits run—and protect them, as well.
Third, playing the game using your own system’s results in simulation mode allows you to practice proper position sizing strategies for your own trading. Trading simulation helps you develop the discipline to follow the other two keys for trading success.
Furthermore, you can master these three keys—without risking one cent of your valuable capital in the markets! Tuition there is a lot more expensive!
Position Sizing Game Play
The overall objective of the game is to make a50% return in each of the ten levels without going bankrupt.
As with real trades, there’s only one position sizing question to answer as you play the game: “How much do I risk on each position?” You establish your risk amount in two ways: through the initial stop price (your risk per share) and by how many shares to buy (which determines your total risk). Do this well and you are on your way to profits. Do it poorly and you blow up your account.
The first levels of this game teach you position sizing strategies and the importance of large R-multiples. What you win or lose will be expressed as R-multiples. If you aren’t familiar yet with how R-multiples work, the game is a great way to learn it hands on. You even get exposed to some more advanced systems concepts like separate probability statistics and expectancy statistics.
Sample of screen in the Position Sizing Game
As you progress, the game changes systems you trade so you can experience what it’s like to trade different probabilities and expectancies. Beginning with Level 5, you have the option of going long or short on a trade, which means that you can go with the probability or with the expectancy. Hopefully, you'll learn how dangerous it is to bet against the expectancy, even though you get to win (or be right) more often.
In levels 6 through 10, you have to earn your big R-multiples by letting your profits run on a winning position. Losing trades happen quickly, but winning trades take time to develop fully. When a winning trade starts, it is probably just a 1R win but chances are that it will continue to be a winner as the trade progresses. Once a winning trade starts, you have to decide how much to risk—time period by time period. Do you want to risk a portion of your profits for a further gain or all of your profits for a shot at the moon? In the process, you learn not only about position sizing strategies but your emotional experiences along the way, which helps you exercise and develop your discipline.
To complete the game and make it through all ten levels, you have to prove your proficiency in four key principles: (1) the importance of R-multiples; (2) the difference between expectancy and probability; (3) letting profits run without letting them escape; and (4) using position sizing strategies to make sure you have a low-risk trade. The Position Sizing Game is designed to drive these principles home by giving you the experience of making (or losing) money in a game environment where losing is safer. Through the game, you begin to understand these principles experientially without having real money at stake. My book, The Definitive Guide to Position Sizing, explains all of these ideas conceptually if you are interested.
Position Sizing Game Recommendations
Some people play this game once or twice, shoot for the moon and try to make a billion in their equity. While that might be fun, you could choose to play the game in a way that helps you earn equity in your real account.
You get the most out of the game by following these steps:
1. Play the game multiple times.
2. Experiment with different position sizing techniques.
3. Apply the position sizing lessons you learned in simulated game mode trading your own system.
Follow that process and you internalize the three keys of success identified by the Market Wizards. Then you are ready for the final step...
4. Apply the position sizing lessons you learned in simulation mode in your live trading and see how that knowledge helps grow your equity.
You won’t find any stock picking tips or amazing systems in this game, only seeds of trading success that you can nurture into reality. My game gives a new twist to the old saying “Play to Win.”
Click here to get registered and download the Position Sizing Game