The Five Most Important Things That Happened Today and What to Do About Them
1) December New Home Starts Fall 19%, and 40% in North California and 49% in Southern California. Rising interest rates and the stock market crash are to blame. But this housing recession is already in the price of the stocks. Click here.
2) Banks are Reporting Earnings This Week. Will the new generation of buggy whip makers even exist in a year? Or will FinTech companies like Square (SQ) and eBay (EBAY) eat their lunch? Look for banks to disappointment even low expectations. Click here.
3) This is the Week When Economic Data Ceases to Exist, unless it comes from private sources. Entering the fourth week of the government shutdown, we are all now flying blind.
4) US Core Inflation is Up Only 2.2% YOY, after a miniscule 0.2% gain in December. Don’t count on that pay rise anytime soon. All your company’s money is going to share buybacks instead. Click here.
5) Newmont Mining Buys Goldcorp for $10 Billion to create the world’s largest gold miner. Another classic sign of a long-term bottom for the barbarous relic is when the miners start taking over each other. Click here.Published today in the Mad Hedge Global Trading Dispatch and Mad Hedge Technology Letter:(THE MARKET FOR THE WEEK AHEAD, or IS THE BULL MARKET BACK?),
(TESTIMONIAL)(THE TECH DARLING OF 2019),
Disclosure: I/we have no positions in any stocks mentioned, and no plans to initiate any positions within the next 72 hours.