I recommend that intellectually ambitious students invest considerable time in a mode of study may set off subconscious alarm signals that conflicts with almost instinctive impulses imparted by classroom experience:
- Read and skim journals and textbooks that (at the moment) you only half understand. . Include Science&n...
- Seldom stop to study a single subject with a student’s intensity, as if you had to pass a test on it.
- Don’t drop a subject because you know you’d fail a test — instead, read other half-understandable journals and textbooks to accumulate vocabulary, perspective, and context.
- Notice that concepts make more sense when you revisit a topic, and note which topics provide keys to many others.
- Continue until almost everything you encounter in Science a... sense as a contribution to a field you know something about.
It's a fascinating piece and don't forget to read the predecessor blog post -- How To Understand Everything.