France is pushing hard into the Electric cars space now. Majority of this country's electricity is already produced by the nuclear power plants and Electric Cars is the logical next step in order to reduce France dependence on Oil supply.
"Lithium Charge: Development boosts lithium-ion battery power by 8-fold With markets volatility on the steroids and mode swings from total depression to the short covering, we continue to advocate our pro life choice and inevitable Energy Transition to the electrification of our transportation. With the insolvent financial system we have, basically, only two choices: try deflation with a strong dollar and run on the insolvent banks and countries or the monetary magic of the FED and ECB with all other alphabet soup in between.
We do not know what to do in the case of depression, deflation and coming stone age after riots and our Lithium darlings are already priced for the coming Ice (Internal Combustion Engine) Age to continue."
Electric rental cars will be available to hire across Paris from next week
The backers hope the scheme will be a major boost for electric vehicles.
The Autolib system is intended to build on the success of the Velib bicycle-rental service, similar to that operating in many European cities.
A two-month pilot project will allow motorists to hire the battery-powered Bluecar for 30 minutes at a cost of four to eight euros.
Membership of the Autolib scheme will cost from 10 euros a day up to 144 euros a year.
The cars are being provided by entrepreneur Vincent Bollore and manufactured by the Italian designer Pininfarina, famous for sculpting Ferraris and Maseratis.
They will have a range of up to 250 km before a recharge, which will take about four hours.
At first, 66 of the four-seater vehicles will be available for hire at 33 charging stations.
But Paris Mayor Bertrand Delanoe intends to expand to 3,000 vehicles and more than 1,000 stations by the end of 2012.
"We want to persuade people to shift from the concept of owning a car to that of using a car," Autolib General Manager Morald Chibout told the Reuters news agency.
The scheme intends to have 1000 charging stations across Paris by the end of 2012.
The project gets underway as leading automakers test driver enthusiasm for electric cars on a large scale in Europe.
Renault SA and its Japanese sister company Nissan Motor Company have invested 4 billion euros in electric vehicles.
Carlos Ghosn, who leads Renault and Nissan, has said electric cars could account for 10% of new car sales by 2020.
Valentine de la Celle, a 30-year-old Parisian mother of two, does not own a car.
"We are doing building work at home at the moment and to take things to the tip I would have to hire a car, which is difficult," she told Reuters.
"But the scheme needs to be quick and simple, otherwise people will not use it."
Like the Velib cycle-hire scheme, Autolib's pricing structure encourages people to rent vehicles only for short journeys.
"We are not here to compete against traditional car rental businesses," said deputy mayor Annick Lepetit.
- Lithium Charge: Fisker Karma debuts on Two and a Half Men with Ashton Kutcher's new character ilc.v, tnr.v, czx.v, rm.v, lmr.v, abn.v, asm.v, btt.v, bva.v, bvg.v, epz.v, fst.v, gbn.v, hao.v, jnn.v, ks.v, ktn.v, kxm.v, mgn, mxr.v, rvm.to, svb, ura.v, nup (sufiy.blogspot.com)
- Lithium Drive: Rimac Automobili Concept One revealed ilc.v, tnr.v, czx.v, rm.v, lmr.v, abn.v, asm.v, btt.v, bva.v, bvg.v, epz.v, fst.v, gbn.v, hao.v, jnn.v, ks.v, ktn.v, kxm.v, mgn, mxr.v, rvm.to, svb, ura.v, nup.ax, srz.ax, usa.ax(sufiy.blogspot.com)
- Lithium Drive: Life with an Electric Car ilc.v, tnr.v, czx.v, rm.v, lmr.v, abn.v, asm.v, btt.v, bva.v, bvg.v, epz.v, fst.v, gbn.v, hao.v, jnn.v, ks.v, ktn.v, kxm.v, mgn, mxr.v, rvm.to, svb, ura.v, nup.ax, srz.ax, usa.ax (sufiy.blogspot.com)
- Lithium Charge: White House to highlight electric car developments TNR.v, CZX.v, TSLA, HEV, AONE, LI.v, RM.v, WLC.v, CLQ.v, LIT.v, LMR.v, FCX, RTP, GM (sufiy.blogspot.com)
- Volkswagen aims to conquer green market with electric VW Golf TNR.v, TSLA, CZX.v, RM.v, LIT.v, CLQ.v, WLC.v, LI.v, GM, F, HEV, AONE, GOOG, AAPL, RTP, (sufiy.blogspot.com)
- Lithium Drive: Toyota smashes the electric lap record at the Nurburgring Nordschleife ilc.v, tnr.v, czx.v, rm.v, lmr.v, abn.v, asm.v, btt.v, bva.v, bvg.v, epz.v, fst.v, gbn.v, hao.v, jnn.v, ks.v, ktn.v, kxm.v, mgn, mxr.v, rvm.to, svb, ura.v, nup.ax, srz.a (sufiy.blogspot.com)
- Electric Charge: U.S. R&D Spending Aims to Jump-Start Electric-Car Industry TNR.v, TSLA, CZX.v, RM.v, LI.v, WLC.v, CLQ.v, LIT.v, HEV, AONE, GM, F, FCX (sufiy.blogspot.com)
- Powered by LIthium: Barrons: A Big Bet on Electric Cars TNR.v, TSLA, RM.v, LI.v, LMR.v, CLQ.v, WLC.v, HEV, AONE, GM, GOOG, RIMM, NSANY, BYDDY, F, TM, (sufiy.blogspot.com)
- Electric cars for hire in Paris (bbc.co.uk)
- Paris readies electric car-sharing program (seattlepi.com)