4/27/2013: This is my first stock-pick Instablog in two years. The paper trades in my previous one (#4) didn't work out well. (I haven't computed the bottom line-too painful.) I think maybe I've learned something from the experience and from the reading I've done. So I'm going to start a new set of paper trades with a blank slate. I'm giving myself 300 "chips" to start.
Last weekend (about midnight Saturday) I tried to post my first paper trades in a new Instablog, but I didn't notice the Submit button at the bottom of the page, so SA didn't post it. The first trades I made were at Friday's closing price:
1. (NASDAQ:AAPL) Buy 10 chips @ 390.53.
2. (NYSEMKT:SAND) Sandstorm Gold. Buy 10 chips @ 7.08.
3. (NYSE:IBM) Short 10 chips if it hits 198. (Hasn't happened yet.)
This weekend (Friday night) I made these paper trades at Friday's close. (I posted them as a comment yesterday at the end of my Instablog #4, because that was the only way I thought I could post them.):
4. (NASDAQ:TSLA) Tesla Motors. Short 10 chips @ 51.20.
5. (NASDAQ:NFLX) Netflix. Short 10 chips @ 215.55.
6. (NYSE:BBY) Best Buy. Short 10 chips @ 23.50.
7. (NYSE:NYT) NY Times. Short 10 chips @ 8.92.
8. (PTNT) Internet Patents Corp. Buy 30 chips @ 3.62.
9. (WFM) - Whole Food Markets. Short 10 chips @ 88.61.
10. (SAND) Sandstorm Gold. Buy 10 more chips, @ 7.80.
So that's 120 chips committed, assuming IBM hits my selling point at 198.
Disclosure: I have no positions in any stocks mentioned, and no plans to initiate any positions within the next 72 hours.