PacketVideo (PV) announced today that a new version of its popular TwonkyBeam(NYSE:TM) connected home solution can now be downloaded at twonkymedia.com. With the version 1.1 update, Firefox(NYSE:R) and Mac(R) users can now beam media from popular sites - such as YouTube, Flickr and Last.fm - to connected devices throughout the home. Separate downloadable versions of TwonkyBeam are now available for PC users running the Internet Explorer browser, Mac users running the Firefox browser, and PC users running the Firefox browser.
"TwonkyBeam has been a hit with PC users running Internet Explorer for several months now, and we're excited to bring the same unique media sharing experience to Firefox and Mac users as well," said Rick Schwartz, senior product manager, PV. "TwonkyBeam makes it easy for consumers to find the media they want and stream it to many of the best selling Internet-ready TVs on the market today. Web-based media can come to life outside of the browser, and can be shared and enjoyed seamlessly on the devices it is best intended for."
Enhancements for TwonkyBeam version 1.1 include:
- Firefox Support -TwonkyBeam now runs on the popular Firefox Web browser
- from Mozilla.
- Runs on Macintosh(R) -TwonkyBeam now runs on Apple(R) Macintosh
- computers running OS X and the Firefox Web browser.
- Improved YouTube Support - TwonkyBeam now supports more high definition
- YouTube videos, beaming the highest resolution video available on
- YouTube pages. When HD video is unavailable, TwonkyBeam automatically
- selects the next highest quality level for streaming to devices.
- Enhanced Device Support -TwonkyBeam now works better than ever with an
- expanded number of devices such as Yamaha MusicCAST2 wireless multi-room
- music systems,and hundreds more.
- Improved Compatibility with PlugPlayer -Users can now beam music from
- sites such as Last.fm to PlugPlayer running on an iPhone(R).
- Expanded Device List - PV has significantly expanded the number of
- devices listed on its TwonkyBeam "Need a Device" page, including new
- Sony(R) Bravia(R) TVs, Denon devices and many others.
- Device Renaming - Users can now change the name of a device by simply
- right clicking on its icon within the TwonkyBeam interface.
- Better Device Discovery - Discovery of devices on wireless networks is
- now more reliable than ever with TwonkyBeam version 1.1.
- Better Local Media Playback -When TwonkyMedia(TM) server is used in
- conjunction with TwonkyBeam, users can now play all of the songs from an
- album directly from the TwonkyMedia server browser page.
TwonkyBeam works with a wide range of consumer electronics and software products, including PV's popular TwonkyMedia manager application. Popular compatible devices include SAMSUNG, Sony(R) Bravia(R), and Loewe HDTVs, as well as networked stereo receivers from Denon and Pioneer(R). Consumers can also purchase a low cost digital media adapter from Linksys(R), Phillips, Yamaha, or other providers to use with the gear they already have at home.
TwonkyBeam provides a Recommended Sites link to help guide users to fun and interesting sites for music, photos and videos. Users can also add their own favorite sites to the list to customize and personalize their experience.
TwonkyBeam is a patent pending PV technology that is part of the TwonkyMedia family of products, recently recognized as an official 2009 CES Innovations honoree. For information on TwonkyBeam and other TwonkyMedia products, please visit twonkymedia.com.
About PV: Founded in 1998, PV is the software pioneer powering the world's leading multimedia services on millions of home and mobile devices. PV is a subsidiary of NextWave Wireless Inc. (NASDAQ: WAVE).