The Chart of the Day is Athersys (NASDAQ:ATHX). I found the stock by using Barchart to sort today's New High List for frequency in the last month, eliminated the stocks that didn't have a gain in the last week and month and then used the Flipchart feature to review the charts. Since the Trend Spotter signaled a buy on 12/17 the stock soared 194.69%.
It is a biopharmaceutical company engaged in the discovery and development of therapeutic product candidates designed to extend and enhance the quality of human life. The company's lead product candidate, ATHX-105, is an oral, selective 5HT2c receptor agonist in Phase I clinical trials for the treatment of obesity. The company is also developing other orally active pharmaceutical product candidates for the treatment of metabolic and central nervous system disorders, utilizing proprietary technologies, including Random Activation of Gene Expression (RAGE). Athersys is developing MultiStem(r), its patented, adult-derived ``off the shelf'' stem cell product platform, for multiple disease indications, including damage caused by myocardial infarction, bone marrow transplantation/oncology support, ischemic stroke and other indications.
Barchart's Opinion trading systems are listed below. Please note that the Barchart Opinion indicators are updated live during the session every 10 minutes and can therefore change during the day as the market fluctuates. The indicator numbers shown below therefore may not match what you see live on the Barchart.com web site when you read this report.
Barchart technical indicators:
- 100% Barchart technical buy signals
- Trend Spotter buy signal
- Above its 20, 50 and 100 day moving averages
- 17 new highs and up 107.73% in the last month
- Relative Strength Index 90.61%
- Barchart computes a technical support level at 2.90
- Recently traded at 4.03 with a 50 day moving average of 2.13
- Market Cap $229.22 million
- Analysts predict revenue will decrease 65.10% this year but grow 163.80% next year
- Earnings are estimated to shrink 2.20% this year but increase again by 32.60% next year and continue to increase at an annual rate of 28.00% for the next 5 years
- Wall Street brokerage firms issued 1 strong buy and 2 buy recommendations
- Financial Strength is C++
Do not expect this price jump to repeat itself. The rule is no one trades on non-public knowledge but we all see price spikes like this right before an acquisition, major corporate restructure or patent granted announcement. Look for big news on this stock but you are probably too late to get on board the bus.