Gold is a store of value since it is:
- A store of value that has been used for Millennia.
- Tangible, will exist and be usable in a disaster and is easily made into and tradable in coin and small bars.
- Hard to lose or be stolen from vaults.
- Fairly stable in price.
- Used and valued as jewelry since extremely dense, shiny, durable, and malleable and also used in electronics due to its excellent electrical conductivity.
- Universally accepted as store of value by all countries.
Bitcoin is a bad store of value since it is:
- New. Also, a better similar technology can emerge and take the lead.
- Not tangible and is valueless when needed the most – in a real-world disaster where it is very likely that the Internet will not be functional.
- Easily lost or stolen, subject to hacking, and, in its current state, subject to destruction by quantum computing in the future.
- Volatile in price.
- Unique only in that it facilitates criminal activity.
- Not going to be universally accepted by all countries.
Disclosure: I/we have no positions in any stocks mentioned, and no plans to initiate any positions within the next 72 hours.