10. Because Polycom is a good medium sized well management business with business and technology leadership in its space: conferencing and now video and telepresence.
9. Because conferencing and telepresence is becoming mainstream business process component at most of the major corporations.
8. Because IBM and others could affect Polycom’s strategy more in their favor if Polycom is an independent company.
7. Because Avaya along with its recent acquisition Nortel Enterprise, one of the major Polycom partners, is still private company and Polycom is a big target for them.
6. Because video and telepresence has capability of transforming datacenter as voice and security did seven years ago.
5. Because Cisco, which is now becoming the toughest competitor for HP especially in Data Center space, is betting big on telepresence and video.
4. Because HP is going to face tough competition from the likes of Cisco, IBM and Dell in data center marketplace.
3. Because Cisco recently acquired Tandberg overlooking Polycom.
2. Because Polycom augments product portfolio that HP acquired with 3 COM.
1. Because if HP wouldn’t IBM may.
Disclosure: Long PLCM, CSCO