The 6 W's: Who, what, where, when, why and what of it
Bobbing in and out of positive territory
Mid-Day: The NASDAQ is UP +4.59 (+0.15%) to 3,079.65 while the Dow is UP +32.11 (+0.25%) to 13,068.05.
Today's Gospel: Stocks hovered around the flat line in volatile trading, Wednesday as gains were limited. While many investors appear optimistic … they are waiting for RegMed companies to stabilize their share price … having NO guidance or stimuli to take the next step.
It has been stated to me … multiple times that valuation; milestone and catalyst definitions should be more forth-coming … Data from trials should be the determinant … not initial results of P1, P2 trials or even compassionate use - get to a P3 and show me it really works.
I am also tired …of rambling and redundant, adjective driven press release <such as Pluristem (NASDAQ:PSTI) > that has weakened materially the probability that they have solid data … to launch … some … type of therapy! Compassionate use is one thing but, it is usually a "crap shoot" and deaths is an accepted … by-product of a "good try" - so … try again for real trial indicators and where are they?? But, speculation and hype will catch up to them…!! So much … for being the wolf crying out in the wilderness … in front of the appreciating moves … but, question the foundation of their company??
Stocks added small gains if any … in today's market decline. Who is playing through today … Pluristem (PSTI), ImmunoCellular (NYSE MK: IMUC) and Aastrom (ASTM) and our slowly appreciating NeoStem (NYSE MKT: NBS)
Measuring the day - 7 green (ups) … with 18 red (downs) and 3-4 fluctuating black (flats)… The CBOE Volatility Index traded … slipped to near 17 from yesterdays near 19.
- Aastrom (ASTM) is UP +$0.02 or +1.19% to … $1.70 with an increasing and tighter mid-day range of $1.66 - $1.71 with … with low volume … of 77K so, far from Tuesday's $1.65 - $1.73 <versus volume of 174.4K>. I reiterate … without being a shrill … UNDERVALYED with a P3 advanced trial;
- BioLife Solutions (OTC: BLFS) is … DOWN -$0.01 or -7.14% to $0.13 or 5.7K volume from $0.14 … I continue to reiterate this is an appreciable asset …
- Cytori (NASDAQ:CYTX) is DOWN … -$0.01 or -0.93% at $3.20 …still above $3.00 … in an tighter trading range of $3.15 - $3.25 with low volume of 59K shares from Tuesday's $3.11 - $3.27 with 258.3K in volume;
- Osiris (NASDAQ:OSIR) is DOWN -$0.18 or -1.91% to $9.24 … with a trading range of $9.29 -$9.48 fromwith still low volume of 27K shares so far … from Tuesday's $8.82 - $9.69, with volume of 192.8K>;
- NeoStem (Amex: NBS) … is UP +$0.037 or +6.17% to $0.637 … in a tighter day's range of $0.60 -$0.64 … with 285K volume from Tuesday's $0.59 -$0.63 and volume of 628k.
Worth mentioning and Reading:
- Tim Mayleben CEO's blog from Aastrom (ASTM) … http://www.aastrom.com/blog/investing-in-cell-therapy;
- ImmunoCellular Therapeutics (NYSE MKT: IMUC) has completed enrollment for its P2 randomized, double-blinded, placebo-controlled, multi-center trial of its dendritic cell-based cancer vaccine ICT-107 for treatment of glioblastoma. A total of 278 patients at 25 participating sites have been enrolled in this trial, which was initiated in January 2011;
- Pluristem Therapeutics' (PSTI) Placental eXpanded (NYSEMKT:PLX) cells were successfully administered to a 3rd patient in Hadassah Medical Center; thus, a series of 3 compassionate use treatments were completed. The latest patient, a 45 year old male, diagnosed with Acute Myeloid Leukemia (AML), a form of blood cancer, underwent chemotherapy to treat the cancerous cells. Treatments with chemotherapy remove cancerous cells as well as normal cells in the bone marrow, leaving the patient needing bone marrow transplantation. The patient received an unrelated (allogeneic) bone marrow transplant. However, he suffered from severe and long standing pancytopenia with associated complications after receiving hematopoietic stem cell transplantations … but we have to remember that for approval, this treatment needs to be prepared … for further trials beyond compassionate use … and regulatory approved.
- Aastrom (ASTM),
- Biorestoative (PINK: BRTX),
- Dendreon (NASDAQ:DNDN),
- ImmunoCellular IMUC),
- NeoStem (Amex: NBS),
- Opexa (OPXA),
- Pluristem (PSTI),
- Verastem (NASDAQ:VSTM).
- Advanced Cell Technology (OTC BB: ACTC),
- Athersys (NASDAQ:ATHX),
- BioLife Solutions (OTC BB: BLFS),
- Bioheart (OTC BB: BHRT),
- BioMimetic (NASDAQ:BMTI),
- BioTime (NYSEMKT:BTX),
- Cytori (CYTX),
- Cytomedix (OTC BB: CMXI),
- Fibrocell (OTC BB: FCSC).
- Geron (NASDAQ:GERN),
- Neuralstem (NYSEMKT:CUR),
- Osiris (OSIR),
- StemCells (STEM),
- Tengion (TNGN),
- Thermogenesis (NASDAQ:KOOL),
- Brainstorm (OTC BB: BCLI),
- Cryo-Cell (OTC BB: CCEL);
- International Stem Cell (OTC: ISCO),
- ReNeuron (RENE.L).
EconoDrama: Productivity increased at a much faster rate than previously thought in the second quarter, rising at a 2.2% annual rate, according to the Labor Department. Economists had expected a reading of 1.8%.
What's new in the regenerative medicine/stem cell market … see: www.scimitarequity.com/blog …
Disclosure: I have no positions in any stocks mentioned, and no plans to initiate any positions within the next 72 hours.