Referencing our blogs on: Opexa Therapeutics (12/2), Geron Corp (11/30), StemCells (11/18) Cytori Therapeutics (11/17), Aastrom Biosciences 11/16), Advanced Cell Technology (11/23) and Athersys (11/16).
A new era in embryonic stem cell research is evolving as the National Institutes of Health (NIH) approved 13 batches of the master cells to study – using taxpayer dollars – with dozens more in the pipeline.
The newly approved lines created by researchers at Harvard and Rockefeller Universities using embryos left over at fertility clinics using private donations. The approval of the lines was announced today by Francis S. Collins, the Director of the NIH in a telephone briefing with reporters. Hundreds of new lines are being reviewed or have been submitted for review to see if they meet ethical guidelines announced by the health agency in April, according to the NIH Web site. Embryonic stem cells, taken from days-old human embryos and kept alive in solution have the ability to turn into roughly 200 cell types in the body.
Bottom Line: The stem cell market is growing rapidly due to increasing regulatory approval and public acceptance. The benefits of stem cell therapy are attracting an increasing number of patients. The product sub-market for human and embryo stem cells are expected to drive the growth of the overall market. Intensive R&D efforts and the increasing investments into research on stem cells therapy are soon expected to improve the efficacy of stem cell treatment. However, the high cost of the therapy may affect market growth. The global stem cell market is estimated to be $88.3 B by 2014 and growing 14.8 % from 2009 to 2014. The U.S. currently holds a 60% share of the global stem cell market and forms an especially lucrative market for areas such as bone marrow transplantation through stem cells (Markets and Markets). Following the announcement:
- StemCells Inc (NASDAQ:STEM) shares have spiraled up by 24.07% to $1.34,
- Geron Corp (NASDAQ: GERN) has risen by 10.85% to $6.03,
- Aastrom Biosciences (NASDAQ: ASTM) shares have moved up by 17.99% to $0.3227,
- Cytori Therapeutics (NASDAQ:CYTX) was up 7% to $5.51, after earlier rising as high as $5.60, an intraday level the stock hasn’t reached since 10/08 and moved 69% in 11/09,
- Opexa Therapeutics (NASDAQ: OPXA) also rose 51.9% from $1.09 to $3.19, Advanced Cell Technology (ACTC.OB) was up 12.8% ($0.113) from $0.10,
- Athersys (NASDAQ:ATHX) was also up 7.14% to $1.05 from $0.98,