The 6 W's: Who, what, where, when, why and what of it …
Today's Gospel: A RegMed stocks experienced …flat lines on Tuesday … but, a few are up marginally as NASDAQ is slightly down and the market continues to drift. Leader(s) … More green, fewer red and 1 black (flats) on the screen …
- Today, my 2 double A batteries … ASTM is up and down after a "busy day yesterday" in the mid-days range ($2.57 - $2.72) while the NASDAQ is down. Yesterday, ASTM's call volume was at 4,905% of average on Monday. There was no specific news to account for the option activity. The August 2.50 call was particularly active with volume at 5,030 contracts, compared with open interest of 961. ASTM had closed at $2.64 on Monday. While my second battery, Athersys (NASDAQ:ATHX) is also … up and now down with the days range of $1.28 to $1.43 … on low (80K) volume. These energizering … stocks will and should … keep your portfolio "LIT" to the future!
- Cytori (NASDAQ:CYTX) is up $0.06 <+2.63%> to $2.34;
- Dendreon (NASDAQ:DNDN) is up $0.57 <+5.2%> to $11.53 and Osiris (NASDAQ:OSIR) is up $0.19 <+3.90%> to $5.06;
- Minimal upward moves … are Advanced Cell Technology (OTC BB: ACTC); BioMimetic (NASDAQ:BMTI); BioTime (Amex: BTX), Cytori (CYTX), Dendreon (DNDN), Geron (NASDAQ:GERN), ImmunoCellular (OTC BB: IMUC), NeoStem (Amex: NBS), Neuralstem (Amex: CUR), Opexa (OPXA), Osiris (OSIR), Tengion (TNGN) and Verastem (NASDAQ:VSTM).
EconRecon: Home prices dropped in February for a 6 straight month, according to the Standard & Poor's/Case-Shiller home-price index. New home sales slid 7.1% in March to a seasonally adjusted 328K-unit rate, hitting their lowest level in four months, according to the Commerce Department. Still, the reading topped expectations for a 320K-unit rate. And consumer confidence dipped slightly in April to 69.2 from a downwardly revised 69.5 in March. Economists had expected a reading of 69.7. EU shares closed higher after hitting a 3-month low in the previous session. Investor sentiment was lifted by the Netherlands' successful $2.6B bond auction on Tuesday, despite the collapse of the Dutch government on Monday.
Mid-Day: The NASDAQ is DOWN -10.92 (-0.37%) to 2,959.53 while the Dow is UP +79.38 (0.61%) to 13,006.45
Mid-Day Market Commentary: While RegMed stocks have moved mostly sideways … in mid-day trading on Tuesday, weakness among stocks is contributing to a loss by the NASDAQ. The major averages are subsequently turning in a mixed performance on the day. The CBOE Volatility Index <fear gauge> traded near 19.
Who is UP … Mid-day:
- BioTime (Amex: BTX);
- Cryo-Cell (OTC BB: CCEL);
- Cytori (CYTX);
- Dendreon (DNDN);
- Fibrocell (OTC BB: FCSC);
- NeoStem (Amex: NBS);
- Opexa (OPXA);
- Osiris (OSIR);
- Pluristem (NASDAQ:PSTI);
- StemCells (STEM);
- ThermoGenesis (NASDAQ:KOOL);
- Tengion (TNGN);
- Verastem (VSTM).
What's new in the regenerative medicine/stem cell market … 3 … to know today …
Hamilton Thorne (TSX VENTURE: HTL) Private Placement Unit Offering: Hamilton Thorne Ltd. (TSX VENTURE: HTL) is proposing to issue, on a non-brokered private placement basis, an aggregate of up to approximately 6,666,667 Units at an offering price of CDN$0.1125 per Unit for aggregate gross proceeds of US$750,000.http://www.scimitarequity.com/blog/2012/04/24/hamilton-thorne-tsx-venture-htl-private-placement-unit-offering . Each Unit will consist of 1 common share and 1/2 common share purchase warrant each warrant will provide the holder the right to purchase a Common Share at CDN$0.16875 for a period of 12 months following the closing. HTL also announced that its board of directors has approved an amendment to the 2009 stock option plan to increase the number of common shares reserved for issuance under the Plan from 4.8M to 9.3M (representing approximately 19.95% of the currently issued and outstanding common shares). This amendment remains subject to shareholder approval and the approval of the TSX-V.
TiGenix (NYSE Euronext: TIG) obtains manufacturing license for European production facility: http://www.scimitarequity.com/blog/2012/04/24/tigenix-nyse-euronext-tig-obtains-manufacturing-license-for-european-production-facility .NYSE Euronext: TIG announced today that further to the cGMP inspection by the Dutch authorities it has obtained the manufacturing authorization for human medicinal products for its European manufacturing plant in Sittard-Geleen in the Netherlands. The Bottom Line: This is a big deal …The state-of-the-art manufacturing site is unique in Europe as it is 100% geared towards the production of innovative cell therapy products. It provides … crucial manufacturing capabilities to support the anticipated growth in demand for ChondroCelect for cartilage repair, and has sufficient capacity for the production of advanced stem cell therapy products.
Advanced Cell Technology (OTC BB: ACTC) Approval to Increase RPE Dosage for Stargardt's Disease Patients in US. http://www.scimitarequity.com/blog/2012/04/24/advanced-cell-technology-otc-bb-actc-approval-to-increase-rpe-dosage-for-stargardts-disease-patients-in-us . The Bottom Line: ACTC is conducting 3 clinical trials in the US and EU using hESC-derived RPE cells to treat forms of macular degeneration. Each trial will enroll a total of 12 patients, with cohorts of 3 patients each in an ascending dosage format. These trials are prospective, open-label studies, designed to determine the safety and tolerability of hESC-derived RPE cells following sub-retinal transplantation into patients with dry-AMD or Stargardt's macular dystrophy (SMD) at 12 months, the study's primary endpoint.
Disclosure: I have no positions in any stocks mentioned, and no plans to initiate any positions within the next 72 hours.