- Bitcoin's recent crash was clearly discernible in its price chart. I have posted that analysis on Sunday, 15 May while Bitcoin was trading above $50,000.
- Reader comments revealed that most dismiss chart analysis as unworthy superstition. After 25 years in the markets, including managing hedge funds for 15 years, Istrongly believe this view is mistaken.
- Over the long haul, chart analysis and trend following are probably the only valid solution to the problem of uncertainty.
- Short article and a 14-min YouTube report are below.
On Friday, 15 May I posted an impromptu analysis warning about the imminent price correction or reversal for Bitcoin. On ZeroHedge, the article got some 7,300 reads and 24 comments.
Although the analysis could not have been more spot-on, reader comments were largely dismissive. One reader called my analysis 'hogwash.' Another asked if I also consulted entrails of slaughtered sheep or Tarot cards. Someone mockingly asked when was the last time chart analysis actually worked?
This all once more underscored the unwarranted and unjustified rejection of chart analysis and trend following as a legitimate and effective solution to the problem of uncertainty - the key problem we must address in managing our trades and investment portfolios. For many traders this experience with Bitcoin was extremely painful. Allegedly, over 775,000 traders had their accounts liquidated as a consequence.
This Bitcoin episode was merely the most recent case study underscoring the crucially important lessons about effective and ineffective ways we deal with uncertainty, the most important challenge all investors, traders and hedgers face. I have therefore put together a follow-up commentary in a short YouTube report. I believe it will be worth the 14 minutes of your time:
Alex Krainer - @NakedHedgie has worked as a market analyst, researcher, trader and hedge fund manager for over 25 years. He is the creator of I-System Trend Following,and publisher of TrendCompass reports. His views and opinions are not always for polite society but they are always expressed in sincere pursuit of true knowledge and clear understanding of stuff that matters.
- Book 3: "Alex Krainer's Trend Following Bible" (2021)
- Book 2: "Grand Deception: The Browder Hoax" (2017) twice banned on Amazon by orders of swamp creatures from the U.S. Department of State.
- Book 1: “Mastering Uncertainty in Commodities Trading" (2016) was rated #1 book on commodities for investors and traders by FinancialExpert.co.uk
- WEBSITE: ISystem-TF.com
- BLOG: TheNakedHedgie.com
- YOUTUBE CHANNEL: MARKETS, TRENDS & PROFITS
- LinkedIn: linkedin.com/in/alex-sasha-krainer-0b74ab1a
Seeking Alpha's Disclosure: Past performance is no guarantee of future results. No recommendation or advice is being given as to whether any investment is suitable for a particular investor. Any views or opinions expressed above may not reflect those of Seeking Alpha as a whole. Seeking Alpha is not a licensed securities dealer, broker or US investment adviser or investment bank. Our analysts are third party authors that include both professional investors and individual investors who may not be licensed or certified by any institute or regulatory body.