Please Note: Blog posts are not selected, edited or screened by Seeking Alpha editors.

A quick rundown of Lithium Investment oportunities

|Includes: FMC, LIT, ROC, Chemical & Mining Co. of Chile Inc. (SQM)
Investing in Lithium companies and production of Lithium worldwide
 
There are four lithium companies currently producing lithium on the world market that can be labelled, essentially, the BIG FOUR.  They are:

1. SQM de Chile S.A. (NYSE-SQM)
2. Talison Lithium (TSE-TLH)*
3. Rockwood Holdings (Chemetell) (NYSE-ROC)
4. FMC Corp (NYSE-FMC)

Currently, these four companies produce 85% of the worlds lithium. The other 15% is spread among smaller producers and junior miners.

Here is a list of most of those companies, which may or may not be on your radar screen as investors in this sector, but should be.

5.Rodinia Lithium (formerly Rodinia minerals)  (TSX V:RM)
6.Western Lithium (TSX V:WLC)
7.TNR Gold Corp (TSX V:TNR)*
8.Galaxy Resources (ASX:GXY)
9.Orocobre (ASX:ORE)
10. Canada Lithium (TSX V:CLQ)
11. First Lithium (TSX V:MCI)*
12. Reed Resources (ASX:RDR)
13. Linear Metals (TSX:LRM
14. Electric Metal Inc (TSX.EMI)
15. Lomiko Metals Inc. (TSX.LMR)

The above lists contain the largest producers of the "electric metal" and the go getters in the junior mining sector that are charging ahead, full speed, with projects of their own, in lithium rich regions of the world, and plan on either becoming large producers, or getting swallowed in the M and A activity that will (and already has) surrounded the sector in the coming year.

As this second leg of the lithium bull market gets into full swing, it is the electric car market that has all the cache, so to speak, as every auto maker (eg: Toyota, Honda, GM, Ford, Daimler,BYD, Hyundai, VW, Tesla) ramps up to enter the electric vehicle market with it's own version of either an EV, HEV or both.

In that light it is timely to review the other, wide and varied uses for lithium and lithium carbonate Currently, aluminum production usurps the majority of lithium produced today, followed by batteries (every kind of battery from your cell phone and laptop, to your EV), glass and ceramic production, airconditioning, lubrications, and more.

As the EV market heats up, you should not forget the "other" major green markets where lithium will play a major role, if not "the" only role, and that is the energy storage needed for wind and solar projects.

As those projects become more ubiquitous, energy storage will become more and more urgent, and the lithium technologies being developed in labs around the world at this writing, from lithium-ion (the current favorite) to Lithium-air and other technologies using this valuable material, will become more and more in demand.

Supply of any commodity is always a concern.  The U.S. Dept of Energy advises the following:

"The world’s supply of lithium is sufficient to allow for the use of lithium-ion batteries in all appropriate HEVs, PHEVs, and EVs likely to be produced in the next several decades."
Here is their report on lithium supply. 

Notes: The Obama administration has announced it wants 1 million electric vehicles on the road in the USA by 2015.


China announced last week it is investing $15B in the electric vehicle industry.


Now I ask you, for the betterment of your Retirefund, why arn't you invested?

HP


Disclosure: (* ) denotes companies we are invested in currently.


Related articles:

The worlds largest pure lithium producer, goes public on TSX
*TSX listing helps Lithium Giant increase output - Financial Post*
China charges into Electric Vehicle market
Lithium, gold and REEs drive penny stock
Lithium demand will increase four fold by 2017
Nevada and Argentina properties ripe with Lithium
New Nano Battery will have many uses




Disclosure: long: TSX-TLH, TSX v:TNR, TSX v:RM

Disclosure: long TLH, RM, LMR, MCI, TNR