It was another wild week on the market. We carefully rode the tides that rose and fall, and made some very good trades, including an intraday +126% gain on GMCR calls and an overnight +103% profit on WYNN puts. Here are the closed trades for the week:
- 09:47 | HappyTrading FAS ($58.80) Sold to Close 11060 Nov 60 put, at $2.63 +35%
- 09:46 | HappyTrading WYNN ($119.30) Sold to Close 11P125 Nov 125 put, at $5.70 +103%
- 09:38 | HappyTrading GS ($96.80) Sold to Close 11P100 Nov 100 put, at $3.65 +14%
- 07:54 | HappyTrading GS ($98.10) Sold to Close 11P100 Nov 100 put, at $2.74 -9%
- 07:46 | HappyTrading JOYG ($89.50) Sold to Close 11C87.5 Nov 88 calls, at $3.00 -30%
- 06:44 | HappyTrading AAPL ($390.50) Sold to Close 11C390 Nov 390 calls, at $3.90 +39%
- 12:08 | HappyTrading FFIV ($113.55) Sold to Close 11C110 Nov 110 calls, at $4.25 +63%
- 12:02 | HappyTrading GMCR ($47.50) Sold to Close 11C45 Nov 45 calls, at $3.25 +126%
- 11:13 | HappyTrading GMCR ($46.75) Sold to Close 11C45 Nov 45 calls, at $2.65 +84%
- 06:56 | HappyTrading GMCR ($44.00) Sold to Close 11P40 Nov 40 put, at $0.37 -70%
- 06:54 | HappyTrading AAPL ($383.00) Sold to Close 110375 Nov 375 calls, at $1.66 -57%
- 09:19 | HappyTrading SLV ($33.32) Sold to Close 11C33 Nov 33 calls, at $0.82 -49%
- 09:15 | HappyTrading GLD ($173.20) Sold to Close 11C172 Nov 172 calls, at $2.56 +0%
- 09:03 | HappyTrading FFIV ($111.50) Sold to Close 11C110 Nov 110 calls, at $3.30 +27%
- 09:00 | HappyTrading AMZN ($221.30) Sold to Close 11C220 Nov 220 calls, at $4.70 +18%
- 07:31 | HappyTrading AMZN ($220.50) Sold to Close 11C220 Nov 220 calls, at $4.30 +2%
In my Market Forecast last weekend, I wrote:
"For the new week, the market appears to be in a neutral stance. To break out, SPX will have to push for 1300 while Nasdaq will need to top 2750. On the downside SPX first support seems to be between 1225 and 1230. Nasdaq's support is at 2600."
On Monday and Tuesday, the market was basically treading water, going nowhere, but, we did pick up a good trade on GMCR as it bounced and squeezed the shorts. Wednesday afternoon, during the last hour of trading, saw the market sold off quickly. But, we had already closed out all of our longside trades and were ready to pick on new trades on the downside. On Thursday, the market dropped even more, and our downside trades paid off handsomely. We even scored a +164% trade in a little more than 1 our. Friday, as discussed on Thursday night, saw some bounces, and the market closed mixed and slightly lower.
For the week, the Dow was down 357.52 points; SPX fell 48.2 points; Nasdaq dropped 106.25 points. Gold fell sharply, closing around $1720/ounce. Oil slid back to below $98/barrel. At the time of this writing, Asian markets were mostly lower. Let's see how the US market looked after Friday's close:
On Friday, SPX slid 0.48 points to close at 1215.65. Its daily MAs and MACD went down.
Nasdaq fell 15.49 points to close at 2572.5. Its 10-day MA and MACD curved lower.
Both SPX and Nasdaq fell below their respectively daily MAs. VIX came down from Thursday's high of nearly 36.5, but, still closed at 32. For the new week...
To read the rest of this article, please subscribe to HappyTrading "Premium Articles" by going to the Premium Services (click here) page. If you are already a subscriber, please click here: Market Forecast 11/21/11.