With the Christmas long weekend, it seems like last week was a while ago! But, last weekend, in my Market Forecast, we discussed,
"For the new week, with only 2 weeks left in trading for 2011, both SPX and Nasdaq are in the negative territory. It is becoming less and less likely that the market will get a holiday rally. The market will need to go above 1260 to get any strength on the upside. If it falls below 1200, we may see further selloff."
Well, on Monday, the market took a sizable fall and SPX went down to 1202, just above 1200. On Tuesday, the market turned 180 degrees as better news came out of Europe, and the US responded with a jump in housing starts. We took a quick +119% profit on an AAPL trade. On Wednesday, the market took a breather. On Thursday and Friday, the market continued to climb as the jobless claims fell. SPX ended the week at 1265.33, just above 1260.
We didn't publish many trades as the market was very volatile and it almost broke down on Monday.
- 09:54 | HappyTrading ONXX ($43.75) Sold to Close 01C40 Jan 40 calls, at $4.20 +83%
- 07:05 | HappyTrading NFLX ($73.80) Sold to Close 1230C72.5 Dec 73 calls, at $3.05 +15%
- 08:17 | HappyTrading TXI ($30.50) Sold to Close 01C30 Jan 30 calls, at $2.50 +6%
- 07:27 | HappyTrading BA ($73.50) Sold to Close 01C72.5 Jan 73 calls, at $2.56 +2%
- 07:24 | HappyTrading GOOG ($628.20) Sold to Close 1223C630 Dec 630 calls, at $3.70 -23%
- 08:17 | HappyTrading BA ($70.70) Sold to Close 01C72.5 Jan 73 calls, at $1.37 -37%
For the week, the Dow was up +427.61 points; SPX added +45.67 points; Nasdaq gained +63.31 points. Gold actually hardly moved. Oil bounced back to almost $100/barrel. While the US market was having a long weekend for Christmas, the Asian markets seemed to be on hold as well. They were mixed with small changes on Monday and this evening, at the time of this writing, they are mixed again. Let's take a look at where the US market closed on Friday:
On Friday, SPX added +11.33 points to close at 1265.33. Its daily MAs and MACD went up.
Nasdaq gained +19.19 points to close at 2618.64. Its 20-day MA turned up and the MACD moved higher.
Well, both SPX and Nasdaq closed above their respective daily MAs, although Nasdaq still looked weak. For the new week...
To read the rest of this article, please subscribe to HappyTrading "Premium Articles" by going to the Premium Services (click here) page. If you are already a subscriber, please click here: Market Forecast 12/26/11.