Cardium Therapeutics has a capital-efficient, asset-based business strategy focused on building a diversified portfolio of new and innovative bio-medical product opportunities and businesses, leveraging research and development investments by big pharma, venture, and institutional investors. A key component to that strategy is the company's Excellagen advanced wound care management platform, which has already received FDA 510(k) clearance for U.S. marketing and sales.
Excellagen is a syringe-based flowable topical gel that promotes the activation of the healing process for the treatment of dermal wounds. It is designed to accelerate granulation tissue growth in non-healing wounds and activates platelets, triggering the localized release of endogenous growth factors including Platelet-Derived Growth Factor (PDGF), a key biologic mediator of wound healing.
Its initial focus is for diabetic foot ulcers, a significant problem in the U.S. with its growing population of diabetic patients. The Excellagen plan is consistent with the company's strategy of supporting initial market introduction, seeding the market, and then monetizing through strategic partnerships and distribution deals, both domestically and internationally.
Principal commercialization factors:
• Excellagen is the best-in-class acellular biological modulator designed to accelerate the growth of granulation tissue for wound healing.
• Excellagen has FDA clearance for the treatment of a broad array of dermal wounds.
• Excellagen is competitively positioned, offering an aseptically manufactured, pharmaceutically-formulated collagen in a flowable syringe-based format that is easy to use.
• Excellagen has multiple clinical studies backing up its unique effectiveness.
• Selected as 2012 Top 10 Innovation in Podiatry by Podiatry Today magazine.
• Excellagen outsourced supply chain is fully operational, including U.S. cold chain distributor: Smith Medical Partners.
International CE mark registration for Excellagen is targeted for 1Q/2013
For additional information, visit www.CardiumTHX.com
Sign up for "The Mission Report" at www.MissionIR.com