Organized crime is defined as the criminal activity performed by an extensive group of proficient criminals that depend on illegal activities to earn huge amounts of monetary profit. The financial profit gained through such illegal activities is called black money. The actions of such organizations are synchronized and controlled by a centralized syndicate.
The term Mafia is used for describing various organizations that are responsible for coordinating or performing various types of organized criminal activities . In the United States , the Mafia is also known as the "Mob". The Sicilian Mafia, which was the first mafia to come into existence, is also known as "La Cosa Nostra". An individual working for the Mafia is called a "Mafioso".
The " Mafia" also exist in other parts of the world and are known as Russian Mafia, Albanian Mafia, Serbian Mafia etc based on their location. Many organizations similar to the mafia exist but are known by different names. Some of them are listed below:
• Irish Mob
• Chinese Triads
• Japanese Yakuza
• Neapolitan Camorra
• Unione Corse
The Mafia is a collection of several criminal organizations and is controlled just like a business and has a hierarchical structure.
Let us take a small peak into this hierarchy:
• At the bottom of this hierarchy are the "soldiers" or "thugs". They take care of the less important work like extortion of money.
• Above the soldiers are "enforcers". They mostly play the part of being bodyguards who protect the establishments and they also hire other criminals to carry out some of the odd jobs. These enforcers also possess their own financial establishments.
• The "commissioners" come on top of the enforcers. These commissioners handle or control an entire city or a more widespread area.
• Next in the mafia is "The boss". The bosses control an individual organization out of the multiple organizations in a mafia.
• At the top of the entire pyramid structure is "The Godfather". The word of the Godfather is the final word and is followed by the entire chain below.
The multiple organizations that exist in a "mafia" specialize in particular types of crime. Mafia is responsible for crimes like narcotics trafficking or smuggling, gambling, extortion, prostitution and also in hideous crimes like murders or assassinations as well as kidnappings. The organizations in the mafia that specialized in assassinations and killed anyone when ordered to became infamously known as "Murders Inc" among the media.
The mafia has not seized being in existence since long and with the passage of time they have just kept on growing in numbers and committing organized crimes.