Give a portion to seven, or even to eight
for you know not what disaster may happen on earth. (Ecc. 11:2)
Please refer to a previous blog (posted December 23, 2018 on my SA Instablog) as background for my strategies in 2019. Links to Portfolio Visualizer for each strategy are included in the December 23rd blog post. Free, easy-to-use spreadsheets of three of my strategies (Original ELVS, DF_ELVS and ULVS) were developed by Greg Katai, and they can be downloaded at this post.
My 2019 strategies feature very low volatility bond assets (mutual funds and ETFs), and only one strategy employs equities as a component in the strategy. I expect these strategies to only give an overall return of 5-6% in 2019, and not the usual 10% annual return I desire under calmer market conditions. I think we must remain patient in 2019 and avoid large drawdowns at all costs. However, so far in 2019, we are running at an overall annual return of about 10% if we continue at the present rate.
Here are the March 2019 selections for all of my strategies:
1. Original ELVS: OOSAX (100%). In February, ELVS held WHIYX and gained 1.47%.
2. DF_ELVS: EAFAX (50%) and WHIYX (50%). In February, DF_ELVS (that owned DSIAX and VFIIX) returned +0.45%.
3. ULVS: NVHAX (100%). ULVS owned LEXNX in February and earned -0.03%.
4. VV_ELVS: OOSAX (100%). In February, VV_ELVS owned VWEHX and gained +1.49%.
5. Weekly MDBS_ETF: SRLN (100%) as of February 28, 2019. In February, MDBS_ETF earned 1.13%
6. VAA-G4: VOO (50%) and VEA (50%). VAA-G4 returned +1.43% in February.
7. Weekly LSFAX Strategy: LSFAX (100%). This strategy owned LSFAX all month in February and it returned +1.14%.
Please let me know if I made any mistakes. The February returns might be a little off because the EOM distributions might not be correct (at the time I posted this).
Overall, the strategies did quite well in February except for ULVS; I am quite thankful. In my Schwab accounts, based on my own money I am investing, I am up 1.56% YTD, while in my Vanguard accounts I am up 1.45% YTD. I hope you are seeing similar returns.